Collision Earth and Swamp Volcano to premier in January

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
More fare for those cold boring January Saturday nights... :P

http://www.awn.com/news/television/...s-spark-january-syfy-saturday-original-movies

In Collision Earth, premiering Saturday, January 14 at 9PM (ET/PT), a solar flare knocks Mercury out of its orbit and onto a collision course with Earth. With global devastation quickly approaching, the secret military initiative, “Project 7,” must be activated to save the world from disaster. The movie is a production of Cinetel Films.

In Swamp Volcano, premiering Saturday, January 28 at 9PM (ET/PT), oil rig drillers in the Gulf of Mexico accidentally hit an underground lava flow, causing a massive volcano to form in Miami. Now a volcanologist and her sister attempt to blow the whistle on an illegal oil drilling scheme before it sets off the eruption that will destroy civilization. Swamp Volcano is a production of Bullet Films.

G

Graybrew1

I admit before they took over Syfy, I could do a Sunday Afternoon of trash Disaster movies. Not anymore, out of sheer principle.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
But these movies have real science in them. I mean it makes total sense that a solar flare could push a planet out of its orbit.

S

Stonelesscutter

But these movies have real science in them. I mean it makes total sense that a solar flare could push a planet out of its orbit.

Well yeah but it would have to be one heck of a solar flare. In any case I'm more interested in them oil guys drilling up a volcano. :P Just kidding, the solar flare seems more appealing.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

I detect sarcasm in your post. :icon_lol:

It would probably take a passing black hole or another body with significantly enormous mass several orders of magnitude more than said planet to disturb it from its orbit. Even a planetary collision wouldn't necessarily knock a planet out of its orbit. Flares would just burn Mercury up.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I'm I mistaken in thinking "Collision Earth sounds like "When Worlds Collide" or something?

Nice catch. Now I'm curious to read that story. I'll see if there's a eBook of that novel.