Classic Who fun

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Basically just stream of thought stuff from Classic Who....

Who out there remembers the Peking Homunculus? Not a big role and no dialog but effective in contributing to a very atmospheric Who entry from Robert Holmes. The story is?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The Talons of Weng- Chiang.
(Baker was my doctor)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Talons of Weng- Chiang.
(Baker was my doctor)
Yep! It also had a hilarious scene with Leela strangling a Tong with his own braided hair!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yep! It also had a hilarious scene with Leela strangling a Tong with his own braided hair!
The best "fun scene" with a companion being vicious still has to be Ace beating up a Dalek with a baseball bat, that's just timeless. :lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The best "fun scene" with a companion being vicious still has to be Ace beating up a Dalek with a baseball bat, that's just timeless. :lol:

That too was cool, although I'm not as high on Ace partly because she got poor stories (the horrifying Pip and Jane Baker era of the show).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Another thing I loved about classic Who (and I have liked about Capaldi's run so far) is the writers not being afraid of more complex stories. A lot of the Pertwee's and early Baker's were a bit more involved and also engaged hard science fiction concepts. Stories like:

The Underworld

The Invasion of Time

The Sunmakers

The Masque of Mandragora

Image of the Fendahl

And others. Unafraid to make the viewer think.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I am somewhat torn about this season of Who to be honest.
I feel it is seriously dating itself with the sonic sunglasses and references to google (for example).
"Old who" (even new Who) maintains a timeless element by not tying itself to current events or technology to a degree, but this one does, and it's obvious.
The stories however are more classic Who than has been used for quite awhile.

What to do, what to do...........

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The sunglasses and such are naff true, but they also have opted for more complex stories which has been good. As I noted in another thread they even broke the fourth wall in one (a VERY good move in that case) for the Doctor to explain the Bootstrap Paradox so the audience would understand how the climax of the story played out.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The sunglasses and such are naff true, but they also have opted for more complex stories which has been good.
Isn't that what I just said?
As I noted in another thread they even broke the fourth wall in one (a VERY good move in that case) for the Doctor to explain the Bootstrap Paradox so the audience would understand how the climax of the story played out.
Did you need the bootstrap paradox explained to you Joe?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Isn't that what I just said?

Did you need the bootstrap paradox explained to you Joe?

I may not have, but for the general audience it was a good move.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I love a lot of those quotes!

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I did not realize there were so many but I remembered a few ... There pretty dam good and a lot make complete brilliant sense ... Tom Baker was such a clown all the time which was awesome ...

;) ;) ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I watched a pair of Baker's recently (Planet of Evil and The Masque of Mandragora). Excellent episodes, and in both Baker was in a more serious tone. The Masque of Mandragora was the one where they changed the TARDIS control room set for about a season to a room with dark wood paneling which I rather liked. Planet of Evil was with the antimatter planet.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And last night I watched "The Sunmakers". Really if anyone wants to see how to weave social commentary into science fiction this episode is like a clinic. The producers take very pointed shots at both corporatism and at the same time the heavy government control and over regulation and taxation prevalent in the UK when this was made. And the shots are well woven into a solid story so it never feels preachy. Plus, the Usurians are fun villains.