China is on the dark side of the Moon!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
They're probably looking for transformers.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
We have been interested in this story at my house! China is on the moon now! Yeah it's only a rover-type thingy but they got there.
https://www.foxnews.com/science/chinese-rover-leaves-tracks-on-far-side-of-the-moon

Perhaps other technological nations will finally shatter the dumb policy we have in the US of hiding everything new and interesting or allowing the military to make it top secret just because it is mysterious. If there were alien artifacts, who the hell in our military would ever be able to scientifically analyze it? Our active duty military personnel are NOT intellectuals or scientists. Sam Carter is a myth. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Perhaps other technological nations will finally shatter the dumb policy we have in the US of hiding everything new and interesting or allowing the military to make it top secret just because it is mysterious. If there were alien artifacts, who the hell in our military would ever be able to scientifically analyze it? Our active duty military personnel are NOT intellectuals or scientists. Sam Carter is a myth. :)

you do know that both west point and the air force academy are primarily engineering schools yes?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
you do know that both west point and the air force academy are primarily engineering schools yes?

Actually no, I did not know that. :) But still, somebody like Sam Carter would not have been trained by any military academy. That level of expertise can only be found in the civilian sector.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Actually no, I did not know that. :) But still, somebody like Sam Carter would not have been trained by any military academy. That level of expertise can only be found in the civilian sector.

well, they do have very high rankings for quality when compared to other colleges nationally
and NOT everyone is an idiotic, uncouth brute like myself :) :fredflinstone:

all engineering programs are in the top ten

<< psst!! your notion sounds like a heavily Hollywood inspired one! :) if we stayed in the SG arena, the characters who you would NOT FIND in the USAF are guys like O'Neil, Sheppard and most of the others. Why? well one is either a pilot OR in special operations (pararescue or combat control) not both. Is it possible? i guess, but not on the scale they have it inSG where seemingly every officer is a pilot and a Spec Ops person. If that many USAF pilots became spec ops then that would mean they would have washed out of being a pilot, or otherwise "F" UP in a major fashion to cause such a dramatic career shift, not to mention, the Spec Ops command (all services) frowns on "f" ups in general. In reality there are far more officers with engineering degrees then there are Spec Ops in the USAF. >>

United States Air Force Academy Rankings

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/united-states-air-force-academy-1369/overall-rankings

and then the number of grads in engineering from usaf and the naval academy who became astronauts

naval academy is number 1, then USAF number 2, then Naval post grad is in number 3 spot

https://www.usnews.com/education/be...hat-have-produced-the-most-astronauts?slide=2

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
well, they do have very high rankings for quality when compared to other colleges nationally

<< psst!! your notion sounds like a heavily Hollywood inspired one! :) if we stayed in the SG arena, the characters who you would NOT FIND in the USAF are guys like O'Neil, Sheppard and most of the others. Why? well one is either a pilot OR in special operations (pararescue or combat control) not both. Is it possible? i guess, but not on the scale they have it inSG where seemingly every officer is a pilot and a Spec Ops person. If that many USAF pilots became spec ops then that would mean they would have washed out of being a pilot, or otherwise "F" UP in a major fashion to cause such a dramatic career shift, not to mention, the Spec Ops command (all services) frowns on "f" ups in general. In reality there are far more officers with engineering degrees then there are Spec Ops in the USAF. >>

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/united-states-air-force-academy-1369/overall-rankings

and then the number of grads in engineering from usaf and the naval academy who became astronauts

naval academy is number 1, then USAF number 2, then Naval post grad is in number 3 spot

https://www.usnews.com/education/be...hat-have-produced-the-most-astronauts?slide=2

Military colleges still do not train scientists. They train engineers but force specialization in military systems. Only the civilian sector creates visionaries, and only the civilian sector can be funded by investors or philanthropists. Not a single "visionary" mind has ever come from anyone's military. Not Da Vinci, or Einstein, or Newton or Galileo or Buckminster Fuller, Isaac Azimov, or Elon Musk. Oh, and also civilian Rodney McKay, who is portrayed as many levels beyond Sam Carter. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Military colleges still do not train scientists. They train engineers but force specialization in military systems. Only the civilian sector creates visionaries, and only the civilian sector can be funded by investors or philanthropists. Not a single "visionary" mind has ever come from anyone's military. Not Da Vinci, or Einstein, or Newton or Galileo or Buckminster Fuller, Isaac Azimov, or Elon Musk. Oh, and also civilian Rodney McKay, who is portrayed as many levels beyond Sam Carter. :)

so, how do you explain the independent ratings like the US NEWS ones? does this mean you also believe that the civilian colleges in the US NEWS top ten are also not "top ten worthy"?

And yes, there are many, many competent and very well trained scientists from civilian colleges (
many of whom, numbers dictate, probably used ROTC, reserve or national guard participation/enlistments to help pay) who are not well known or widely received--one does not to be widely known to be competent and proficient in their field

why? because these recognitions are largely received based on published papers in journals (which is a very, very "f" up system in all disciplines-- ex: most journals, if you can't get three peer reviewers who at least moderately agree with your theory or paper position then the editor will not publish = the world doesn't get to hear what you have proposed/discovered. Journals have to have content that will sell as well)

OR they got famous by bypassing that system and came up with an in demand product that they took straight to market.

i am sorry, but when you say that NO ONE from the military has any vision or original thought, it is offensive and just plain shallow

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Purdue University (hubby's & my alma mater) has graduated more astronauts than any school other than the Naval academy. Many of the astronauts etc...did their graduate programs at Purdue's engineering schools. I even know a couple who got PhD's from Purdue who are teaching at the Air Force Academy and West Point. ;) It turns out their PhD thesises are classified. :icon_e_surprised: Purdue has several scientists who have the right clearances - which is why the gov't pays the graduate students to attend Purdue. ;)

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It

Purdue University (hubby's & my alma mater) has graduated more astronauts than any school other than the Naval academy. Many of the astronauts etc...did their graduate programs at Purdue's engineering schools. I even know a couple who got PhD's from Purdue who are teaching at the Air Force Academy and West Point. ;) It turns out their PhD thesises are classified. :O Purdue has several scientists who have the right clearances - which is why the gov't pays the graduate students to attend Purdue. ;)

the theme is that so many people believe that the military colleges only teach people how to kill people or plan or support combat operations

the lack of awareness and the general hollywood fed tropes that people in the military is a dummy (when most kids in HS can't even pass the ASVAB test but they still get into college!) and a loser with no prospects is a very aggravating issue to encounter

while military schools do have a required military theory curriculum (duh, they are being trained to be military officers) regardless of major, the students are dedicated to completing a perfectly College Board acceptable and highly respected degree in many fields to include engineering

even enlisted people gain credit (per your MOS or AFSC) for college matriculation, all evaluated and granted by the College Board

that is why, when i went to PITT, I didn't have to take one math class! My MOS (surveyor) gave me college credit up through Trig and pre calc (including alg 1 and 2, geometry 1 and 2 ) based on my job training (Entry MOS school and then following professional development schools) even a infantry soldier will get like 18 credits for their job training

i started school with nearly 80 credits from my job training, Bio-chem defense nco school and recruiter training and then the CLEP tests I took

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
the theme is that so many people believe that the military colleges only teach people how to kill people or plan or support combat operations

the lack of awareness and the general hollywood fed tropes that people in the military is a dummy (when most kids in HS can't even pass the ASVAB test but they still get into college!) and a loser with no prospects is a very aggravating issue to encounter

while military schools do have a required military theory curriculum (duh, they are being trained to be military officers) regardless of major, the students are dedicated to completing a perfectly College Board acceptable and highly respected degree in many fields to include engineering

even enlisted people gain credit (per your MOS or AFSC) for college matriculation, all evaluated and granted by the College Board

that is why, when i went to PITT, I didn't have to take one math class! My MOS (surveyor) gave me college credit up through Trig and pre calc (including alg 1 and 2, geometry 1 and 2 ) based on my job training (Entry MOS school and then following professional development schools) even a infantry soldier will get like 18 credits for their job training

i started school with nearly 80 credits from my job training, Bio-chem defense nco school and recruiter training and then the CLEP tests I took

The people we knew at Purdue were on the top of the intellect scale! Well hell, hubby's major prof won the Noble prize in Chemistry a few years ago- not exactly a school for slouches. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Well, you have to be honest about this. A school with "military" appended to it is going to emphasize military training, discipline and curriculum. The military has no use for say....marine biologists, agricultural engineers, biochemists, astrophysicists, mathematicians, computer scientists, many fields. Civilian colleges and universities have much broader disciplines and curriculum, and are far far better funded than any military academy.

I agree that these schools meet standards set for US colleges and College Boards, but I disagree that they are equivalent. As I said before, military schools do not produce visionaries or international scholars.

I don't get that...how can you get a "credit" for trigonometry and algebra and calculus if you don't know it? Your MOS did not teach you any of those things. I do know what a ,military surveyor does. :) I am not attacking you, but I disapprove of any school writing in "credits" for stuff that was not taught or tested. Practices like that are the reason employers test people in my field. You can't just give people "credit" for knowing stuff in IT oif they do not know it. Employers will test to make sure, even if you have a Masters in Computer Science from Harvard or Yale.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Well, you have to be honest about this. A school with "military" appended to it is going to emphasize military training, discipline and curriculum. The military has no use for say....marine biologists, agricultural engineers, biochemists, astrophysicists, mathematicians, computer scientists, many fields. Civilian colleges and universities have much broader disciplines and curriculum, and are far far better funded than any military academy.

I agree that these schools meet standards set for US colleges and College Boards, but I disagree that they are equivalent. As I said before, military schools do not produce visionaries or international scholars.

I don't get that...how can you get a "credit" for trigonometry and algebra and calculus if you don't know it? Your MOS did not teach you any of those things. I do know what a military surveyor does. :) I am not attacking you, but I disapprove of any school writing in "credits" for stuff that was not taught or tested. Practices like that are the reason employers test people in my field for skill knowledge.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
You can take CLEP tests-- you take a test (done by the SAT group) and if you pass you get credit for the class. It's a cheap (abt $45) way to get college credits. I was able to get 16 college credits with the various CLEP tests I took. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You can take CLEP tests-- you take a test (done by the SAT group) and if you pass you get credit for the class. It's a cheap (abt $45) way to get college credits. I was able to get 16 college credits with the various CLEP tests I took. :D

Well I know about CLEP tests, and they do test your knowledge of a given subject. That is different than what YJ02 said:

My MOS (surveyor) gave me college credit up through Trig and pre calc (including alg 1 and 2, geometry 1 and 2 ) based on my job training

A Surveyor in the military does not get taught trigonometry or pre calculus or algebra in training. They do use those things, but there are tools which do the actual math that is used, plus the equipment has calibrations on it to make the job easier to do in the field. I wouldn't say anything about it if I didn't know a little something about that particular MOS. I am sure YJ02 can verify this. I think it is good he got those credits, but I don't see why they would give them based on MOS training. To me, that would be like giving me pilot wings just because my MOS was in Avionics. :)