Bye-bye Burger King

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Fries are disgusting nowadays. They have no flavor and they're always overly salty and they sit in the stomach like a lead weight. :beckett_new050:

Not to date myself but if you aren't old enough to remember when McDonalds cooked their fries in beef tallow then you won't be able to understand my aversion to the crap they call "French fries" today. There is absolutely no comparison and quite frankly I find it very sad when people tell me how much they love the cold, greasy, salty, bland fries they get at McDonalds these days.

They are like night and day. Before, McD fries became "soggy" when they got cold (like homemade fries do). Now, they simply dry out into mummified (but perfectly preserved) fry-fossils. Ants will not touch them, and flies will not alight on them. And you damn well know Im old enough to remember! :icon_e_surprised: :anim_59: :icon10:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Man finds Mc Donalds burger in bag in coat pocket from 1999 and it still looks like this!:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...years-looks-exactly-the-day-flipped-Utah.html

article-2313276-196FFD92000005DC-635_634x421.jpg

The burger had no signs of mold, fungus or even a strange odor, the show's hosts said. The only thing that had changed over the years was that the pickle had disintegrated.

Whipple, who still has the original receipt for the burger, said he now shows the sandwich to his grandchildren to encourage them to eat healthily.

People will read these articles, read the labels and "nutrition" information, and continue to eat this garbage. :(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The trick with McDonald's fries is to let them dry out, sharpen them on one end and use them with a blowpipe like darts.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
They are like night and day. Before, McD fries became "soggy" when they got cold (like homemade fries do).

Perhaps in the 50s but, when they became a national chain, they were using a textural solution to keep the fries crunchy. McD's fries never went soggy as far back as I can remember. Burger King's fries did, though, before they went with that shitty starch coating that made them the most disgusting fries on the planet.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I just remember McDonalds fries tasting as good as the burgers when I was a kid. I mean, there was almost a "beef" taste to them, no doubt due to the beef tallow they fried them in. But then they had to get all "healthy" (read: cheap) and switched over to veggie oil. I swear if MickeyDees fries tasted like they did back then I would still eat them despite any health concerns. They were that good tasting.

I never got into BK burgers or fries despite having one in my town growing up. The whole "flame broiled" gimmick tasted weird to me. And by the time I was in high school they were microwaving the burgers and it tasted like it, yuck! Even drunk out of my mind (not that I was ever drunk in high school) that shit didn't appeal to me.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just remember McDonalds fries tasting as good as the burgers when I was a kid. I mean, there was almost a "beef" taste to them, no doubt due to the beef tallow they fried them in. But then they had to get all "healthy" (read: cheap) and switched over to veggie oil. I swear if MickeyDees fries tasted like they did back then I would still eat them despite any health concerns. They were that good tasting.

I never got into BK burgers or fries despite having one in my town growing up. The whole "flame broiled" gimmick tasted weird to me. And by the time I was in high school they were microwaving the burgers and it tasted like it, yuck! Even drunk out of my mind (not that I was ever drunk in high school) that shit didn't appeal to me.

Well...when WE were kids might be a lot further back than when others were kids. :anim_59::moody::P When I was a kid, McDonalds hamburgers cost 25cents, and the Big Mac was 50cents (yep you read that right). The shakes were also a quarter, but they were huge and they were made with real ice cream. You could not drink them through a straw. The fries made oily spots on the bag, and they were delicious. NOTHING like today. The Filet of Fish was double the size in thickness of the one today, and large enough to stick out of the large bun. But wait, all the buns were the same until fairly recently when they shrunk as though miniaturized. The patty of...whatever it is...was the size of a quarter pounder. The current one is smaller than the breakfast sausage I have in the morning. We are talking late 1960s, early 70s folks! And the hot apple pie is all but forgotten. It used to be one of the best selling items at McDonalds.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Well...when WE were kids might be a lot further back than when others were kids. :anim_59::moody::P When I was a kid, McDonalds hamburgers cost 25cents, and the Big Mac was 50cents (yep you read that right). The shakes were also a quarter, but they were huge and they were made with real ice cream. You could not drink them through a straw. The fries made oily spots on the bag, and they were delicious. NOTHING like today. The Filet of Fish was double the size in thickness of the one today, and large enough to stick out of the large bun. But wait, all the buns were the same until fairly recently when they shrunk as though miniaturized. The patty of...whatever it is...was the size of a quarter pounder. The current one is smaller than the breakfast sausage I have in the morning. We are talking late 1960s, early 70s folks! And the hot apple pie is all but forgotten. It used to be one of the best selling items at McDonalds.

The hot apple pie was deep fried back then and was tasty! The last place I most recently found that same apple pie is at Booger King but that was a few years ago.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
They don't seem to "fry" much of anything anymore or even broil or grill stuff, they just microwave it now. It all comes pre-packaged/pre-cooked from the distributor. (Yes, they still "fry" the french fries, but even those border on artificial nowadays.)

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I honestly can't recall the last time I was at a BK or McD. Fast food joints have become alien to me. I'm to the point where I don't even notice their existence anymore.

Exactly. The funny thing is the last time I ate BK food was probably 3 or 4 years after swearing off the fast food joints. I was shocked how much it hurt my system.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Exactly. The funny thing is the last time I ate BK food was probably 3 or 4 years after swearing off the fast food joints. I was shocked how much it hurt my system.

You can actually FEEL it in your system, throwing things out of balance. After eating real food for quite some time, eating bad fast food loaded with all sorts of garbage seemed to make me physically ill. You can get great burgers like Five Guys, with fries, but they are not fast food burgers or fries. You will wait inside as they are prepared from actual ground beef, where you can see them cooking it. And the burger is nothing like you would get in any fast food place, or even in some "diner" type places like Denny's or Cocos. There is also The Habit and Hamber Hamlet. Wanna make it fast? Order ahead. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Last year when I was laid up recovering from surgery a friend brought me some Taco Bell to eat. I couldn't believe how God awful it tasted. Seriously, I was shocked. I didn't remember it being so foul but that's just how my tastes have changed since giving up fast food.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Last year when I was laid up recovering from surgery a friend brought me some Taco Bell to eat. I couldn't believe how God awful it tasted. Seriously, I was shocked. I didn't remember it being so foul but that's just how my tastes have changed since giving up fast food.

Oh wow...I had forgotten all about Taco Bell as being a place to actually consider patronizing. I do like the tidy and themed little drive through joints they build, but my days of eating there ended when I noticed the "meat-like" substance that had replaced the ground beef they used to use. The stuff they use now is only 88% beef, and that beef includes low quality parts of beef. The "cheese" isnt right. Is it real cheese? I would never eat anything from there today.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Lest we forget you can use their refried beans as grout for tile laying too....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The trick with McDonald's fries is to let them dry out, sharpen them on one end and use them with a blowpipe like darts.

This is still making me laugh! You could use a straw as the blowgun!

:icon_rotflmao::shep_lol::SmileyLaughingTears:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member