Buyer Beware -Alliance Home Video DVD season boxsets

Red Mage

Boney
Since it seems unlikely that MGM is ever going to release any seasons beyond the first on DVD, I went ahead and ordered the Alliance Home Video boxsets from Canada. I heard prior to ordering that the packaging on these sets was poor but I ordered anyways figuring it couldn't be as bad as the reviews made it out to be. Well... now having seen these boxsets myself, I must admit that these sets have the ABSOLUTE WORST packaging I have ever laid my eyes on. It's a shame because the box is quite nice which pictures from all the episodes and clear episode listings. However, it's how the DVDs are held in the case that make it absolutely awful. Unlike normal dvd cases were the discs are secured on a spool in the center on the discs, these discs rest on top of each other and are held in place by plastic tabs on the sides that don't work well and cause the discs to come loose/slide around freely. I may do a video review of the packaging because it its hard to explain and needs to be seen to be believed. If you have a region 1 DVD player and like newer OL, this is your only option currently to get it on DVD legally but expect to order a bunch of 8-DVD cases to store the discs properly so they don't get destroyed by the awful packaging.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Since it seems unlikely that MGM is ever going to release any seasons beyond the first on DVD, I went ahead and ordered the Alliance Home Video boxsets from Canada. I heard prior to ordering that the packaging on these sets was poor but I ordered anyways figuring it couldn't be as bad as the reviews made it out to be. Well... now having seen these boxsets myself, I must admit that these sets have the ABSOLUTE WORST packaging I have ever laid my eyes on. Unlike normal dvd cases were the discs are secured on a spool in the center on the discs, these discs rest on top of each other and are held in place by plastic tabs on the sides that don't work well and cause the discs to come loose/slide around freely. I may do a video review of the packaging because it its hard to explain and needs to be seen to be believed. If you have a region 1 DVD player and like newer OL, this is your only option currently to get it on DVD legally but expect to order a bunch of 8-DVD cases to store the discs properly so they don't get destroyed by the awful packaging.

I know the kind of ones you mean :(
The first time we bought WALL-E for the kids it was like what you are describing. It's really, really bad.

Add: our little tab things were made from cardboard, even worse.

Red Mage

Boney
These are FAR worse than Wall-E although the cardboard case for that DVD isn't going to win any awards either. Atleast the Wall-E dvd is held in pretty secure, it's just takes extra care to remove the disc without scratching it These had a couple of boxsets come with loose dvds in the case and I don't have a clue as to how to put the dvd back in.

S

Stonelesscutter

Post a picture. Or even better, a video, like you said.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
Since it seems unlikely that MGM is ever going to release any seasons beyond the first on DVD, I went ahead and ordered the Alliance Home Video boxsets from Canada. I heard prior to ordering that the packaging on these sets was poor but I ordered anyways figuring it couldn't be as bad as the reviews made it out to be. Well... now having seen these boxsets myself, I must admit that these sets have the ABSOLUTE WORST packaging I have ever laid my eyes on. It's a shame because the box is quite nice which pictures from all the episodes and clear episode listings. However, it's how the DVDs are held in the case that make it absolutely awful. Unlike normal dvd cases were the discs are secured on a spool in the center on the discs, these discs rest on top of each other and are held in place by plastic tabs on the sides that don't work well and cause the discs to come loose/slide around freely. I may do a video review of the packaging because it its hard to explain and needs to be seen to be believed. If you have a region 1 DVD player and like newer OL, this is your only option currently to get it on DVD legally but expect to order a bunch of 8-DVD cases to store the discs properly so they don't get destroyed by the awful packaging.
You may not want to hear this, but with this set you really need to check all of the episodes ASAP for scratches or errors that might screw up the video. I had to send back several DVDs in this set because there were problems. They will do exchanges for replacement DVDs, but it's really important to check each and every single episode. :(

Red Mage

Boney
You may not want to hear this, but with this set you really need to check all of the episodes ASAP for scratches or errors that might screw up the video. I had to send back several DVDs in this set because there were problems. They will do exchanges for replacement DVDs, but it's really important to check each and every single episode. :(

Many discs had slight scratches straight from the case. I was as absolutely careful as possible taking them out and many had scuffs on them. Makes me wonder if it was the process of me removing the discs or just plain shoddy manufacturing that caused the damage. It will be tough watching 7 seasons of Outer Limits in 30 days or so. I will drop Amazon and Alliance Home Video themselves a line that discs came damaged and may need replacing in the future. Only 1 disc had a real deep scratch and I had a mini marathon to make sure all 4 of those episodes worked fine. I have a $400 disc resurfacer which has revived many movies from Blockbuster video so as long as there are no issues with the discs themselves not related to physical damage, they should be ok. I removed all but seasons 1 and 2 into generic 8-DVD cases for easy viewing and keeping the empty original boxes for collection purposes. That process was not a joy by any means. It was WAY more difficult than it needed to be. I can't imagine trying to wrestle those discs back into those cases. Interestingly enough, Season 2 has a different way of storing the discs than the rest of the seasons. It's actually not bad. Perhaps Alliance has already responded to packaging complaint. Maybe I got a newer print of Season 2 and older prints of the rest of the seasons? However, if that is not the case there was no excuse to go back to the horrible Season 1 packaging for the rest of the series when they rectified many packaging issues with Season 2.

Red Mage

Boney
Alright. Made a quick video. It was completely unrehersed and scripted. I'm also suffering from allergies so I my voice is a bit muffled at times. I'll upload it to Youtube and post it here later.

Tropicana

Council Member
Love your voice - it's so sexy!

Very good video product packaging review - a green is on the way. :D

And I agree with ya, the way the discs lay on top of one another, it's very inefficient, troublesome and presentation-wise, looks bad.

S

Stonelesscutter

I hate it when DVD's turn out to be faulty.
The first disc of SG1 season 4 I have is also botched.
I believe there were some eps in season 3 that had a problem as well but that doesn't matter anymore since someone borrowed that season and then 'lost' it so I had to buy it over again.

Red Mage

Boney

You weren't kidding. I had an OL marathon today. Two out of the three discs had some skipping today. One episode just froze entirely and I had to reset my DVD player. I just got off the phone with Amazon. I'm just going to return the whole set. Actually, it was the only option I had since it came from an outside vendor that Amazon just fufills so they can't do simple replacements. It's a shame because I really wanted to have the full series as a part of my collection. Oh well.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That totally sucks! It drives me nuts how there's such little thought put into the packaging of DVD's these days. There's no reason for discs to be so ineptly packaged, none at all. Sorry you have to return it but hopefully they'll figure it out in the long run and fix the whole mess!

S

Stonelesscutter

That totally sucks! It drives me nuts how there's such little thought put into the packaging of DVD's these days. There's no reason for discs to be so ineptly packaged, none at all. Sorry you have to return it but hopefully they'll figure it out in the long run and fix the whole mess!

I think that with the coming of BluRay the DVD's have been getting cheaper and to increase the margin on DVD sales they try to make the casings as inexpensively as possible.

You're getting waaaay too much green by the way.
It's not funny anymore! ;)

Red Mage

Boney

There really is no reason other than to squeeze an extra few cents of profit on each set. I hope Alliance Home Video enjoys the 5 cents it saved because its killed any chance at customer loyalty from me. It is very unlikely I will ever order another product released by them in the future. Great packaging shows customer appreciation. I showed in both in the Outer Limits review as well as my Robotech set review I did in another topic how easy it could have been for the companies to package the sets right. It is especially the case with Robotech because the cases are the same size and probably cost the same amount of money as the ones I replaced them with. I could have spent the next few days resurfacing the entire OL collection but in the end if I just did that I feel I would be endorsing companies to continue these shoddy packaging practices. I had to send it back.

I think that with the coming of BluRay the DVD's have been getting cheaper and to increase the margin on DVD sales they try to make the casings as inexpensively as possible.

You're probably spot on with this. The skimpy packaging is to reduce production cost and increase profit margin. Companies will never admit that. They will just say they use the cheap inexpensive cases as their attempt to "go green" and save the environment.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Videos uploaded. I apologize for the narrow video boxsize. These videos were also a test for the video recording feature on my iPod touch. I shot the video in portrait mode when I should have held the device on its side when recording to put it in landscape mode. The result was the narrow video in Youtube. The videos were completely unscripted and unrehearsed. I shot them both in one go. I stumble with thoughts in a few places. if I feel like it I'll do a part 3 filmed correctly in landscape mode for a better view of the packaging. But there you go enjoy and thanks for watching for those that view these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X40Y1s6R5CM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL4qJgoVEU4

Dude, your voice is AWESOME. You have an announcer's voice...very cool (I wont say sexy because Im straight!). But your voice is way cool. :) I hope those who market videos get a chance to see these. Do they realize that some people will actually base their decision to purchase a DVD on its packaging? I was at Fry's electronics, and I hear this "greenie" woman who said she didnt want to by a printer refill made by a certain brand because it wasnt environmentally friendly. In your case, your would intentionally buy a DVD packaged like that if you knew in advance?

Tropicana

Council Member
Dude, your voice is AWESOME. You have an announcer's voice...very cool (I wont say sexy because Im straight!). But your voice is way cool. :) I hope those who market videos get a chance to see these. Do they realize that some people will actually base their decision to purchase a DVD on its packaging? I was at Fry's electronics, and I hear this "greenie" woman who said she didnt want to by a printer refill made by a certain brand because it wasnt environmentally friendly. In your case, your would intentionally buy a DVD packaged like that if you knew in advance?
Ha ha :P

Red Mage

Boney

Thanks. Good to see some people liked the video. Although, it literally took more time to upload it to Youtube than I spent recording it. I actually did know in advance the packaging was poor from the reviews on Amazon. I didn't know exactly how bad it was because I couldn't find any pictures online other than the cover. I took a chance since it's the only way the show is available on DVD and got burned. My boxsets are currently on their way back to Lexington Kentucky.
Atleast now with my video published, prospective buyers have a chance to see what they are buying before making the purchase.

Red Mage

Boney
I re-ordered another set from Amazon. Watching episodes on hulu made me want a collection that I don't have to suffer through commercials for. Bad packaging aside, I really want the show on DVD. Having a month to reflect on sending back the old set, I decided that bad boxsets are better than none and have to suffer 2 minutes on commericals 5 times per episode on hulu. I'll just Skip-Away Pro any discs that come damaged. Wish me luck.