Buh bye, Sprint! Dumped Sprint for T-Mobile just minutes ago.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is not going smoothly....:( My existing Galaxy S4 takes the SIM card for T-Mobile, and it can pick up GSM and all of the other bands, but I cannot get it off the Sprint network and onto T-Mobile. I have no way to use the phone today, also yesterday. No data, no email...but I get those on my computers. Its the camera I miss the most. I take photos and they automatically get uploaded to Dropbox where I use them to post here and to take movies. I think I am going to have to trade it in and get a new one from T-Mobile. At least they will give me $150 credit for it. It still costs another $600 to buy the new phone, but they will break it into 24 months if I want.

Im going to call them shortly.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
This is not going smoothly....:( My existing Galaxy S4 takes the SIM card for T-Mobile, and it can pick up GSM and all of the other bands, but I cannot get it off the Sprint network and onto T-Mobile. I have no way to use the phone today, also yesterday. No data, no email...but I get those on my computers. Its the camera I miss the most. I take photos and they automatically get uploaded to Dropbox where I use them to post here and to take movies. I think I am going to have to trade it in and get a new one from T-Mobile. At least they will give me $150 credit for it. It still costs another $600 to buy the new phone, but they will break it into 24 months if I want.

Im going to call them shortly.

You need to get the phone carrier-unlocked. Sprint authorizes the GSM portion of your phone to work outside the country but it seems they've locked out domestic carriers. Verizon does the exact same shit.

You need to find a service that can do this:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mob/4290528757.html

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You need to get the phone carrier-unlocked. Sprint authorizes the GSM portion of your phone to work outside the country but it seems they've locked out domestic carriers. Verizon does the exact same shit.

You need to find a service that can do this:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mob/4290528757.html

UPDATE:

T-Mobile ROCKS!

Okay, my Sprint Galaxy S4 was not going to work, because it could only give me 2G on data. I just bought yet ANOTHER Samsung Galaxy S4 from T-Mobile, and they gave me a lousy $105.00 for it (because it's CDMA). I had to come off $300 for the plan and phone. The remainder will be financed over the next few months. But they are going to pay the $350.00 early termination fee from Sprint. :) Running the numbers, I am going to pay for this phone in savings and I am getting 4GLTE at home. FINALLY. Call quality is great, reception is great, and best of all I am done with Sprint for good.

:joy:

Sprint-class-action.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
BTW, my number is the same too. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Makes sense you had to change phones - T-Mobile is GSM and Sprint is CDMA. Verizon is CDMA for the time being but is expected to start deploying VoLTE (Voice over LTE) later this year with an eye to phasing out CDMA in late 2015-2016.

http://www.radio-electronics.com/in...-long-term-evolution/voice-over-lte-volte.php

Yeah, well my other GS4 was only 6 months old and was working perfectly...I dont care, I had the money and I was not going to settle for anything less than my GS4 at least. The great thing is that in only two months, I can upgrade to the upcoming Galaxy S5 and it will cost me next to nothing. :). I am getting a strong 4GLTE signal in my home now, couldnt get 4G with Sprint at home before. I have excellent phone reception and T-Mobile has not loaded up my phone with a bunch og crapware. I can root it if I want, but T-Mobile gives me access to hotspot for not extra charge, so I dont really need root.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sprint is going to be up the proverbial creek once Verizon goes to VoLTE, as they survive in part by renting CDMA towers from....Verizon. And Verizon will be shutting down those towers in 2016.

It's actually an interesting technology as it allows Verizon to have only one radio in their phones. That will cause battery life to jump and also cut costs. And some OEMs are already making LTE only phones (ZTE and Lenovo for pilot areas).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
T-Mobile...true to their word. I received my final bill from Sprint, with the early termination fee of $334.00. And after uploading it to https://www.switch2t-mobile.com, T-Mobile is going to pay every dime of that. :) I can pre-order the Samsung Galaxy S5 right now if I want, but unless it is a huge upgrade, I will stick with my GS4. It would have to have a 16mp camera, IR emitter AND receiver, dual microSD expansion slots and an 8-core processor. :anim_59:

I see the specs here: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Samsung-Galaxy-S5_id8202

Im not seeing a need to upgrade my GS4 there. They did give us a 16mp camera though...

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
enjoying the new windows phone 8.1 Update. Been playing with the new swipe keyboard and screwing around with Cortana. I feel like a little kid at Christmas. Yes, I'm bad. LOL