BSG Caprica Info Thread With SPOILERS.

G

Graybrew1

Yongjin requested a thread to discuss BSG and Caprica Info, Beware this thread will include spoilers for any that have not seen the entire show.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
A conversation on BSG's "god", messengers, and the implications of "DAYBREAK". Includes postings from "SUNSHINEALIEN" @Syfy forums :) :

Posted Today, 12:28 AM
yongjin02, on 27 June 2011 - 10:27 PM, said:
I believe that the "one true god" of BSG does not have the best (or even good) intentions of mankind in mind

Like a grand Galactic Chess game--where none of the pieces are aware of the gamers.

SUNSHINE ALIEN

I think you're right about that. It's clearly implied in Battlestar. There was also an interview recently with Kevin Murphy, the last show runner for Caprica. Here's one of his objectives agreed to by Ron: "Develop the theme that the human race needs to be rebooted and therefore 'God wants Battlestar Galactica to happen.'" That's what Caprica showed, with a Head Zoe manipulating the creation of the Cylons and apparently pleased with Sister Clarice's genocidal sermons to them.

Not really all that attractive a concept to begin with. Then they blow the whole rebooting idea with a messed up take on Mitochondrial Eve, not to mention that humanity was apparantly already rebooted on a plant having nothing to do with the Colonies. I guess the question I'll always ponder is this: are these negative aspects of God really what Ron intended to depict, or did the whole thing just collapse into thematic incoherence? I'd like to believe the former just to give the show a little more credit, but the realist in me tends to beleive the latter.
MultiQuote
#42 yongjin02

Contactee

Group:Full Members
Posted Today, 09:25 AM
SunshineAlien, on 28 June 2011 - 01:28 AM, said:
I think you're right about that. It's clearly implied in Battlestar. There was also an interview recently with Kevin Murphy, the last show runner for Caprica. Here's one of his objectives agreed to by Ron: "Develop the theme that the human race needs to be rebooted and therefore 'God wants Battlestar Galactica to happen.'" That's what Caprica showed, with a Head Zoe manipulating the creation of the Cylons and apparently pleased with Sister Clarice's genocidal sermons to them.

Not really all that attractive a concept to begin with. Then they blow the whole rebooting idea with a messed up take on Mitochondrial Eve, not to mention that humanity was apparantly already rebooted on a plant having nothing to do with the Colonies. I guess the question I'll always ponder is this: are these negative aspects of God really what Ron intended to depict, or did the whole thing just collapse into thematic incoherence? I'd like to believe the former just to give the show a little more credit, but the realist in me tends to beleive the latter.

yongjin02
just a quick note on the whole "planning and writing" thing (i keep thinking it but keep forgetting to write it down)--I agree, and have read, that only the first 2 seasons were realy 'planned'. There was some syfy exec stuff blowing about and TPTB were not sure if BSG still had a 'home' after season 2. But of course that just may be an excuse with only a little substance-don't know. Either way, I think it says a lot for TPTB to pull off what they did in the series, even without a plan. For it to be as coherent as it was, with some issues-I think says a lot to their 'will and talent'. just IMO

On the god thing, I always got the feeling that the god they speak of (the one true god) is actually a higher power, ie: an advanced race, aliens? It is they who send the 'messenger angels/head creatures' and possibly they who were the "lords of kobol (?)"
Whoever/whatever it is someone who loves to mess with the human race over and over --like a kid with an Ant Farm, who doesn't really care if the ants live or die so long as he is entertained in the process.

In BSG I think that their are only 2 ppl that these "higher powers" are really concerned with-Baltar and Starbuck. Remember Starbuck as had revealed to her throughout her life visions and inspirations (her paintings) that later prove key to the "plan". Also her exposure to her father's music is important as well. This is maybe why she is "brought back" from the dead(?) she is too critical "an ant" (per the ant farm above) to lose--too much has been invested into her.
Anyways-just some ramblings

G

Graybrew1

I just finished rewatching this entire series again. I am really glad I did. Now that I knew what some of the more drug out scenes led to, the worst problem with Caprica IMO, they seemed they painful to watch. I really really enjoyed the ride this time. I totally understand so much more of it too. Now that I have finished with both BSG and Caprica, I am sad. Time to find a new show for my personal rewtches.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I just finished rewatching this entire series again. I am really glad I did. Now that I knew what some of the more drug out scenes led to, the worst problem with Caprica IMO, they seemed they painful to watch. I really really enjoyed the ride this time. I totally understand so much more of it too. Now that I have finished with both BSG and Caprica, I am sad. Time to find a new show for my personal rewtches.

yup-a bizillion channels (and internet, and roku, and pay per view) and nothings on:(

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
just dont suffer from oxygen depletion ("don't hold your breath").

true, i haven't tuned in to Syfy AT ALL in about 2 months, but I still have not heard or seen anything elsewhere as to a due date for airing B&C. what about you?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I was fooled once with Caprica (I heard the announcement long before it was released) so I'm not about to hold my breath with B&C. If it ever makes it to the light of day and it's good then that will be great. But if I don't get my hopes up I can't be disappointed now can I? ;)

G

Graybrew1

I have heard nothing. I do have some shows on Syfy that I still watch. Maybe Briangate might have some more info for us??:confused:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I was fooled once with Caprica (I heard the announcement long before it was released) so I'm not about to hold my breath with B&C. If it ever makes it to the light of day and it's good then that will be great. But if I don't get my hopes up I can't be disappointed now can I? ;)

exactly! ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i guess that has become the plight of sci fi fans..quiet, utterly hopeless desperation. then when something does come along we get a more pleasant reaction

G

Graybrew1

Yes, it is not Scifi on Syfy. I have lowered my expectations. I admit that. :(

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
i guess that has become the plight of sci fi fans..quiet, utterly hopeless desperation. then when something does come along we get a more pleasant reaction

Science fiction fans .. living in utterly hopeless desperation ..I couldn't of said it better. Here I am waiting for a truly sigh-fi show that I can watch every week and what do we get. Not even a sniff.

The technology they used for Blood and Chrome sure has a Sanctuary feel to it. Now if they can get 'Ceasar' moving around as if it is a live creature. Then why can't they do the same thing for at least one or two individual Cylons and give them some sort of personality.

Its the beginning of February and Stern's decision is what? Maybe I shouldn't hold my breath. Continuum and Primeval: New World are on their way but unfortunately they are not truly my kind of sci-fi.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
http://io9.com/5895080/totally-bada...galacticas-cylon-war-prequel-blood-and-chrome

Io9 has just posted a trailer for Blood & Chrome on their website, and I can just say... What the hell is Syfy thinking?

Why are they refusing to put something as awesome looking as this on tv??? Oh right I forgot, they're all about "Imagine Crappier" now... :rolleyes:

Don't like the music mainly because of the screaming prefer another version of that track and i much prefer hearing orchestral music. I don't mind rock music but I don't like the remake.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Don't like the music mainly because of the screaming prefer another version of that track and i much prefer hearing orchestral music. I don't mind rock music but I don't like the remake.

I agree that the music really doesn't fit, but that's because it was specifically created for use in the opening sequence for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL30ovEdf8M

Then again, this was much more awesome when I saw it in the theatre.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan