Brian J Smith

SerenityS

GateFans Member
Just thought I'd start a regular thread for the guy. In the spirit of the new forum. :)

So, a scene from a Law and Order ep he did prior to SGU:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UiZIFzQiB4

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I never saw that!

Just thought I'd start a regular thread for the guy. In the spirit of the new forum. :)

So, a scene from a Law and Order ep he did prior to SGU:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UiZIFzQiB4

LOL, I never saw that before! I must have missed the episode. Here are some clips of him in Hate Crime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivEnzlzISMw

And here he is in The War Boys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrJ5qvTPwDQ

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
Lmao he still does that gesture with his lips, nodding it, the first video at least.
:icon_e_smile:

I couldn't stand watching still the other two though, but it seems I caught him nodding his lips at third video as well!

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Lmao he still does that gesture with his lips, nodding it, the first video at least.
:icon_e_smile:

I couldn't stand watching still the other two though, but it seems I caught him nodding his lips at third video as well!
It's funny when you see an actor/actress doing the same gesture/tic/habit across their career.

I'm wondering if after doing CSI: Miami for so many years, Caruso will continue to do the sunglass thing (which Bruce Campbell skewered so well in Burn Notice recently as Chuck Finley, lowly Crime Scene Investigator).

SerenityS

GateFans Member
A fairly long interview with Brian here:
http://www.redeyechicago.com/entert...inal-episodes-20110307,0,2868019.story?page=3

some tidbits:

It really sucks in sci-fi that things get cancelled sort of right when they’re getting good, but at least on Syfy it’s like—you know with “SGU” we had 40 episodes and with the kind of ratings we were pulling in it would have been impossible on any other network … On a big network, “Caprica” (another cancelled Syfy series) wouldn’t have gotten past pilot stage.
So at the end of the day it is a business. This is really unfortunate, but it’s just the way it is and it’s just something that audiences and actors alike kind of have to come to terms with. … Networks have to keep advertisers happy … Really, television shows are nothing but a break in between commercials. That’s all it is. Television is there to sell products and if people aren’t watching the commercials it’s not going to go. It’s not going to get seen. It’s unfortunate. I wish it wasn’t that way, but it’s not film. It’s TV. It’s advertising.
You guys started out Season 1 with very character-driven stories. Some viewers were complaining there wasn’t the action they saw in previous “Stargate” series, the alien-of-the-week story or planet-of-the-week story.
For sure, but sorry, that wasn’t the way it was going to be. This was all by design. [The writers and creators] really wanted to take their time [developing the characters].

In a way this may sound really bizarre, but I'm kind of glad that it ended when it did, because I don’t think it could have gotten better than that. … We left on a high note, and not a sort of bedraggled, get-me-the-hell-out-of-here note. (CLICK TO READ: "Brian J. Smith saves the universe)

When you wrapped Season 2, did you all think you were coming back for Season 3? How was the mood on set?
We had no idea. We knew the ratings sucked. You couldn’t talk your way around that. We didn’t know what the network was going to do. We knew that MGM was behind us no matter what, and MGM still is. I know that [Senior Executive VP/COO] Charlie Cohen, who has always been our “Stargate” guy at MGM, is working his ass off to try to get the movies made. The sets are still standing. Everything is still up and so there is still a possibility that can happen. MGM will just have to completely finance it.

Syfy is a business and they were losing a lot of money on this production and we didn’t know if they’d be willing to give it another shot.

It was very weird. I think a lot of people were pretty upset with how the news broke. I was actually on an aircraft carrier with Elyse and Alaina and John Lenic and Brad Wright and James Robbins, our production designer. I think Brad had gotten an email or a text or a phone call the day before we were supposed to leave the aircraft carrier. He told Elyse and Alaina, but they didn’t tell me. So when we got back to the docking office and we were debriefed he kind of rounded everybody up and broke the news. It was very sad. I think some people were angry finding out [that way], when everyone knew that we couldn’t be reached. That was a little bit bizarre.
But his e-mail came from Syfy, right?
I don’t know. That’s a good question. I don’t know. All I know is when I got back and I turned on my phone there were like 400 Twitter messages. It was weird. There was no press release. It was just it was a tweet, so I think that was a little bit of a smack across the face.
Right, disrespectful.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
That is hillarious as he even says the ratings sucked so how dare he complain a while back about a site that approved of his wording . SGU SUCKED LOL !!!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
GREAT CATCH, Serenity!

A fairly long interview with Brian here:
http://www.redeyechicago.com/entert...inal-episodes-20110307,0,2868019.story?page=3

some tidbits:

It really sucks in sci-fi that things get cancelled sort of right when they’re getting good, but at least on Syfy it’s like—you know with “SGU” we had 40 episodes and with the kind of ratings we were pulling in it would have been impossible on any other network … On a big network, “Caprica” (another cancelled Syfy series) wouldn’t have gotten past pilot stage.
So at the end of the day it is a business. This is really unfortunate, but it’s just the way it is and it’s just something that audiences and actors alike kind of have to come to terms with. … Networks have to keep advertisers happy … Really, television shows are nothing but a break in between commercials. That’s all it is. Television is there to sell products and if people aren’t watching the commercials it’s not going to go. It’s not going to get seen. It’s unfortunate. I wish it wasn’t that way, but it’s not film. It’s TV. It’s advertising.
You guys started out Season 1 with very character-driven stories. Some viewers were complaining there wasn’t the action they saw in previous “Stargate” series, the alien-of-the-week story or planet-of-the-week story.
For sure, but sorry, that wasn’t the way it was going to be. This was all by design. [The writers and creators] really wanted to take their time [developing the characters].

In a way this may sound really bizarre, but I'm kind of glad that it ended when it did, because I don’t think it could have gotten better than that. … We left on a high note, and not a sort of bedraggled, get-me-the-hell-out-of-here note. (CLICK TO READ: "Brian J. Smith saves the universe)

When you wrapped Season 2, did you all think you were coming back for Season 3? How was the mood on set?
We had no idea. We knew the ratings sucked. You couldn’t talk your way around that. We didn’t know what the network was going to do. We knew that MGM was behind us no matter what, and MGM still is. I know that [Senior Executive VP/COO] Charlie Cohen, who has always been our “Stargate” guy at MGM, is working his ass off to try to get the movies made. The sets are still standing. Everything is still up and so there is still a possibility that can happen. MGM will just have to completely finance it.

Syfy is a business and they were losing a lot of money on this production and we didn’t know if they’d be willing to give it another shot.

It was very weird. I think a lot of people were pretty upset with how the news broke. I was actually on an aircraft carrier with Elyse and Alaina and John Lenic and Brad Wright and James Robbins, our production designer. I think Brad had gotten an email or a text or a phone call the day before we were supposed to leave the aircraft carrier. He told Elyse and Alaina, but they didn’t tell me. So when we got back to the docking office and we were debriefed he kind of rounded everybody up and broke the news. It was very sad. I think some people were angry finding out [that way], when everyone knew that we couldn’t be reached. That was a little bit bizarre.
But his e-mail came from Syfy, right?
I don’t know. That’s a good question. I don’t know. All I know is when I got back and I turned on my phone there were like 400 Twitter messages. It was weird. There was no press release. It was just it was a tweet, so I think that was a little bit of a smack across the face.
Right, disrespectful.

Hahahaha! So he knew the show was tanking and also he felt owned when the fandom found out about the cancellation before some of the actors did? HAHAHAHAHA!

Why is ANYONE entertaining the idea that there will be an SGU movie? What sense would that make? The show was cancelled for low ratings and lack of interest...so lets make more? :facepalm:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
...Finally, what it came down to was “where are the numbers”? “Are we going to make money back from this”? In today’s DVD market which is really really bad, why would anyone put millions of dollars into something with no guarantee that they were going to get it back? Why would anyone do that?
He finally seems a bit more grounded and less defensive. Took him (and them) long enough to figure out what all of us already knew about the numbers though.

And at least he didn't poop all over the SGU detractors this time, so I guess he's learned a bit about being more professional and diplomatic.

The only weird thing is where he talks about being impressed that Joe Mallozzi himself deigned to speak to him whilst on the set one day. Personally I would have been creeped out had JM come near me, the freak!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Go Brian!

After reading that interview, I am VERY impressed. This guy was never a dummy...he was just hedging his bets by not saying what he already knew about the show. From reading that, I can see that Brian watched the previous two shows just to see why the fans hated SGU. In the beginning, he indicated he did not watch them. Only Alaina Huffman, David Blue and JWS indicated that they had watched this show before SGU IIRC. Brian is NORMAL! Who knew? Im gonna give his movie a shot just because he deserves it after that interview (cant give him green) :).

This was impressive:

MediaBlvd> What did you think of the development of Lt. Scott over the two years, and where do you think he would have gone if it would have come back? Brian> Yeah, I did. We were shooting an episode called “The Hunt: and Joe Malozzi came up to me while we were eating lunch. It was a great conversation, and we thought we were coming back at that point. The numbers weren’t great, but we thought we were seeing some good movement in the demographics and stuff like that. We were still positive. He was asking me if I had any ideas of where I saw Scott going in the next season. I thought that was fantastic that one of the writers and producers was coming to me. I thought, “Wow, that’s pretty cool.” And I had some specific ideas like certain relationships with certain people. What I would have like to have seen happen, was some of the revelations and the ideas that people have kind of get spread around more. At the end it kind of became, “Eli saves the day again.” I think they had enough interesting people on that ship that they could come up with some solutions that would be helpful with the show. I wanted to see Scott have a really defined role on the show, besides the guy that goes out and says, “Yes Sir!” and salutes and gets the job done. I wanted to see all of the characters find this thing that only he can do well. I think that’s what a team is and you had that really well with the first two Stargates. Everyone had a really defined role and I never felt that Scott; besides being the guy who could fly the shuttle and being the guy who went to off world missions, and the guy who had a relation with Chloe and broke the gamer kid’s heart every single episode; he didn’t have something that made him feel integral to the plot every single week. That’s something I would have like to have seen more and more, and would have insisted on for the third season.
:beckettu:

Something else that caught my eye was this:

BJS4.jpg

Getting guns like that and that level of upper body development takes HARD WORK. That is not 'roid muscle, that is the real thing. Most impressive. Right on Brian!

Tropicana

Council Member
With what Brian had just said here, go against what every squeedrone had said for the past 2 years? "SGU is real dynamic", "SGU team feels like a proper team", etc.

However, it takes guts to be critical of one's self/character and I'm glad he felt comfortable to do it (finally), compare now to how it went last year, a complete 180.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
He finally seems a bit more grounded and less defensive. Took him (and them) long enough to figure out what all of us already knew about the numbers though.

And at least he didn't poop all over the SGU detractors this time, so I guess he's learned a bit about being more professional and diplomatic.

The only weird thing is where he talks about being impressed that Joe Mallozzi himself deigned to speak to him whilst on the set one day. Personally I would have been creeped out had JM come near me, the freak!
That is called "having a new job and finally affording to be honest/rational about it". :daniel_new_anime012

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I am also impressed . What a turn around . He explained the way his character should have been portrade . He wanted his character to be like Jack or Cameron . If TPTW had done that we all might have enjoyed that show , but alas , TPTW were so arrogant on there new gritty aproach that they would not budge from there huge change in canon which was Stargate .

Good one Brian . You might just finally get those fans watching your work instead of curteaking your every jesture .

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Great interview. He actually hits upon a key problem with the show; with such a large cast there wasn't that defined role for all of them. In theory sure that's a great thing that characters aren't tied down, but in reality it meant they couldn't always get the ensemble to work properly.

Still I thought he did some great work on the show so all the best to him.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
One thing that did strike me as important is that he was eager to do some stage work. There are so many "camera" actors who can't even conceive of working the boards that it really is a sign of someone who wants to stay sharp and improve their craft. Even if his little play in NY was junk it showed a sincerity towards being an actor. I don't doubt that he would accept a role on a TV show in a heartbeat but at least he's smart enough to stay busy during the down times.

Lilith

GateFans Noob
G

Graybrew1

Good to hear I was not the only one getting sick of the "Eli" show. :icon_e_wink: