Brad Wright, you IDIOT! You got arrogant and destroyed everything.

Sami_

GateFans Noob
I was pretty sure BW said that he wouldnt do two shows at the same time again because it would be to much. Unfortunatley my googlefoo is failing me trying to find the quote does anyone remember it?

Now he has no shows and doesn't need to worry about it being too much - bet he is regretting that decision now.

:lol:

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Now he has no shows and doesn't need to worry about it being too much - bet he is regretting that decision now.

:lol:

Well there seems to be two opposing views from what i can gather. I found an interview (its in the sga movie thread) where he mentions not wanting to do 40hrs of tv a week he also didnt feel it was good to do a movie whilst running a tv show at the same time. But ive also seen many comments and speculation that BW was only given the opportunity to do 1 show and he plumped for SGU. there is a realy good post in the syfy forums by bandit which contains several quotes relating to this.

I can see why he would if only given the choice of one show why he chose to do a new show, but it doesnt explain why the movie did not happen. syfy greenlighted the movie and were ready with the money on there side, so????

BW should be looking back over this fiasco and trying to bring the fandom together and gain back those viewers he has lost. the only way i can see that is if he gets a movie for all three shows and relatively close together. An sgu only movie is gonna realy rile up well me and soime others :ori:

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Well there seems to be two opposing views from what i can gather. I found an interview (its in the sga movie thread) where he mentions not wanting to do 40hrs of tv a week he also didnt feel it was good to do a movie whilst running a tv show at the same time. But ive also seen many comments and speculation that BW was only given the opportunity to do 1 show and he plumped for SGU. there is a realy good post in the syfy forums by bandit which contains several quotes relating to this.

I can see why he would if only given the choice of one show why he chose to do a new show, but it doesnt explain why the movie did not happen. syfy greenlighted the movie and were ready with the money on there side, so????

BW should be looking back over this fiasco and trying to bring the fandom together and gain back those viewers he has lost. the only way i can see that is if he gets a movie for all three shows and relatively close together. An sgu only movie is gonna realy rile up well me and soime others :ori:

I completely agree with this actually - they have to realise that SGU cannot sustain the franchise alone, quality or not. MGM would have to be on board with investing in Stargate's future though.

stclare

I completely agree with this actually - they have to realise that SGU cannot sustain the franchise alone, quality or not. MGM would have to be on board with investing in Stargate's future though.

Well they have brought in new viewers to SGU and im sure BW & co want to keep them, which i dont blame them for. But they do need to bring those that have left the franchise back, in order to grow the fanbase again.

The Stargate franchise should be sitting pretty at the moment as there is little scifi shows to compete with. I'm hoping that MGM still see how much attention is paid to all three shows and the sales for dvd's etc and decide to do the sga & sg1 movie and a wrap up of sgu. i say wrap up because i have no idea how they could conclude sgu in a 2 hr movie? i think it would need a mini series, but the cost/return ration on that :confused: on all of that??

Sami_

GateFans Noob
The Stargate franchise should be sitting pretty at the moment as there is little scifi shows to compete with.

Great point, I can't even think of a show that has a spaceship in it anymore, perhaps thats why SGU even had 1 million viewers - simply because there is nothing even similar to traditional science fiction like Star Trek on television anymore.

Just makes SGUs failure even worse.

stclare

Great point, I can't even think of a show that has a spaceship in it anymore, perhaps thats why SGU even had 1 million viewers - simply because there is nothing even similar to traditional science fiction like Star Trek on television anymore.

Just makes SGUs failure even worse.

Its the thing that shocked me the most, there is no real competition for sgu scifi wise. which is why i expected even though i cant stand it, for it to do well.

Personaly i think a new space based show thats a good mix of action/drama/tech would do well. infact i think people are looking for a good space based show and are making do at the moment.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Unfortunately it's all about teens and vampires and werewolves right now, which makes it tough for spaceship based sci-fi... :facepalm:

Lilith

GateFans Noob
Think about it. If they combined all three into one story line and use the SGU props the only movie that I would be interested in would be where SG1 and SGA go looking for the fools only to find in the end that they have:
A: starved to death.
B: Pailed off to a planet never to be seen again.
C: Recovered the ship only since none of these characters are redeemable. Who would want them back. The aren't the best and the brightest.
D:SG1 and SGA arrive and lock all these loons up and take control of the ship and return home forget the stupid mission since the wrong people wouldn't understand what they found anyway.
E: arrive to find a fish called Chloe has eaten everyone. She is shot 30 minutes in and then the SG1 and SGA take the stupid ship home.

stclare

Unfortunately it's all about teens and vampires and werewolves right now, which makes it tough for spaceship based sci-fi... :facepalm:

Or it could be because shows like true blood are a good combination of drama/action/etc! i dont think they have to be mutualy exclusive. whilst sg1/sga was on we had buffy and angel and all 4 shows did well ratings and longevity wise.

to my mind people want that element of escapism. if it came as good scifi i dont think the masses would turn there nose up. i like both types it just has to be done well (well for me i mean)

hey vampires, thats why sga did so well! wraithe = vampires lets do a show with following Todd :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wow, this is an old thread! I was digging for stuff on Brad Wright on Google, and this came up. Man, we sure were pissed!

I have rewatched SGU since it was canceled, and NO it was not "ahead of it's time". I find it just as insipid as I did when we were watching it, but I no longer feel the anger I did then. Im still glad it was canceled, and I think that if it had not been, we would be groaning about the Stargate Universe movie (and been waiting for an Atlantis movie which was never going to be made). Brad definitely did not see the shitstorm and cancellation coming. If you watch the video in the OP, he was talking as though he was just getting started again. At SGUS, didn't we have an online party? Yep, we did. :icon_rotflmao:

I remember making this :smiley-laughing021::

dancing_sgu_grave.gif

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
You are a brave man to watch the whole thing again... I am still to watch the last three eps

;) ;) ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You are a brave man to watch the whole thing again... I am still to watch the last three eps

;) ;) ;)

I did it in December of last year. When I got to Earth (S01E7), the dumbess of it made me take breaks. It took me about two hours to watch the whole episode. Season 1 was by far the hardest to watch. I am still at a loss to understand why Robert Carlyle took that job. And seeing Ming Na in Avengers makes me wonder how she convinced herself that SGU was a good gig. The writing was absolutely horrible. And even till the end, Brad told himself that it wasnt the lack of quality or writing that killed it, but the fans. :facepalm:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I don't think I ever had a tv show have me get up out of my seat and begin pacing back and forth due to the complete disgust I felt watching the very first few minutes . OMG I think I was swearing within seconds of this shows absolutely ridiculous first scenes . And only got worse when I attempted episode 2 the next week ... Sad that people had to endure it for 2 years of prepaid eps ... Should have axed it after 2 minutes if I had any say in the matter . What were the execs thinking ???

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't think I ever had a tv show have me get up out of my seat and begin pacing back and forth due to the complete disgust I felt watching the very first few minutes . OMG I think I was swearing within seconds of this shows absolutely ridiculous first scenes . And only got worse when I attempted episode 2 the next week ... Sad that people had to endure it for 2 years of prepaid eps ... Should have axed it after 2 minutes if I had any say in the matter . What were the execs thinking ???

The first time I saw those stones used, and that little platform thingie they made for it, I was like....dafuq? That broom closet scene was far more significant than they probably wanted it to be. It was "Oh, so it's like that, huh?". It set the tone for the show in a very bad way. Same with Chloe. And when I saw that Eli was supposed to be the character that the "average fan" could identify with, it pissed me off. Rush pissed me off in the first episode because he was brought in as some sorta Ancient expert, when that would have been McKay. Throughout the whole thing, they never mentioned Atlantis until late in season 2 when it was too late. I bet Brad is a gambler.

Last edited:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
The first time I saw those stones used, and that little platform thingie they made for it, I was like....dafuq? That broom closet scene was far more significant that they probably wanted it to be. It was "Oh, so it's like that, huh?". It set the tone for the show in a very bad way. Same with Chloe. And when I saw that Eli was supposed to be the character that the "average fan" could identify with, it pissed me off. Rush pissed me off in the first episode because he was brought in as some sorta Ancient expert, when that would have been McKay. Throughout the whole thing, they never mentioned Atlantis until late in season 2 when it was too late. I bet Brad is a gambler.

Considering that he has no current visible source of income, I hope that he limits himself to the daily scratch off cards. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Last edited: