Brad Wright, you IDIOT! You got arrogant and destroyed everything.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I caught this on YouTube, and the comments below it are very telling...they are from pissed off fans.

Capture.PNG

Then there is the transcript of this here:

bradmistake.PNG

You mentioned Atlantis, SG-1 and even Stargate Worlds. But what you didnt count on was that the single biggest mistake you would make in your career was to create Stargate Universe with Robert Cooper. The creation of Stargate Universe repulsed the fanbase which would have kept large-scale interest in Stargate if it had been done more along the lines of SG-1 and SGA. It killed the interest of the fans almost completely. So where was the excitement for Stargate Worlds going to come from? Stargate Resistance was an action adventure game, but the most current "stargate" show was now a soap opera? Wow, all the cool kids watch soap operas. NOT.

Stargate Universe failed in season 1 and was pretty much done. But you got a season 2 by the graces of the Gods and you completely ignored your opportunity to make DRASTIC changes in the show that needed to be made to at least bring in a few new fans (the old fanbase had given up already). You started thinking that your personal view of Stargate as this "franchise brand" was shared by the fans, but you were wrong. Without the fans supporting the SHOWS which allowed this "franchise" to be created, you are nothing...as we are showing you. Thanks to you, Stargate SG-1 is dead, Stargate Atlantis is dead, and interestingly enough, Stargate Infinity which was also an off the wall non-canon show (albeit a cartoon) was cancelled for low ratings and lack of interest. So this is Lesson Two - STICK WITH THE PROGRAM. It was working fine...the only thing that changed is that YOU got bored of writing Stargate, so you wrote what YOU wanted and thought that throwing it in with this big "franchise" basket with "all things Stargate" in it was going to save the day.

IDIOT. You lost it all.

Last edited:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Part of this is a good lesson to people such as Brad Wright and Joseph Mallozzi:

Fans don't blindly follow franchies. When they see something they don't like, they're going to call bullshit, and you'll lose your most important resource "THE FANS".

Fans watch individual programs. That was the case with SG1 and SGA. When you tools decided to go completely off the reservation and create this pile of rancid batshit loosely called "Stargate" Universe.

You naively believed that the fans of SG1 and SGA would just blindly follow you to the new show. Someone popped off and said that if the show wasn't good, then the fans wouldn't (and need not) watch it. And then you were surprised when that exactly what happened.

Good going, twits. You're hoist by your own Picard.

Perhaps in a few years, we'll see Stargate come back, and it'll actually follow canon.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It pisses me off SO MUCH.

Part of this is a good lesson to people such as Brad Wright and Joseph Mallozzi:

Fans don't blindly follow franchies. When they see something they don't like, they're going to call bullshit, and you'll lose your most important resource "THE FANS".

Fans watch individual programs. That was the case with SG1 and SGA. When you tools decided to go completely off the reservation and create this pile of rancid batshit loosely called "Stargate" Universe.

You naively believed that the fans of SG1 and SGA would just blindly follow you to the new show. Someone popped off and said that if the show wasn't good, then the fans wouldn't (and need not) watch it. And then you were surprised when that exactly what happened.

Good going, twits. You're hoist by your own Picard.

Perhaps in a few years, we'll see Stargate come back, and it'll actually follow canon.

You can just hear him so smug in the video, casually referring to the "Stargate franchise". Stargate only became a "franchise" after fans gathered around the movie that Brad did NOT create. Brad followed the story of the movie to get SG-1, but then around season 6, they started changing it into something more Trek-like. Atlantis made Stargate unique again, since Trek had never done anything like it (nor did anyone else). But then Stargate Universe ruined everything. It cost too much to make. Brad was too determined to make the show when he should have immediately responded to the lackluster response to the show. They made the show serialized and filmed the ENTIRE SEASON before audience reaction could be gauged, yet they still had long breaks between the parts of the season as though they were producing the second half during the break. Joe deflected criticism, whilst Brad continued to stubbornly stick to the same lame SGU formula and he destroyed EVERYTHING with Stargate Universe.

Stargate Resistance - DEAD
Stargate Worlds - DEAD
Stargate Magazine - DEAD
Stargate SG-1 - DEAD
Stargate Atlantis - DEAD
Stargate Infinity - DEAD

All of it boils down to Brad Wright ultimately, since he is the boss and he has been controlling the Stargate "franchise" since the beginning of SG-1. As long as he is involved, Stargate doesnt stand a chance. No future Stargate ventures can include him if they want to be successful.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I LOVE the comments section under the YouTube clip!

Stargate Universe failed in season 1 and was pretty much done. But you got a season 2 by the graces of the Gods and you completely ignored your opportunity to make DRASTIC changes in the show that needed to be made to at least bring in a few new fans (the old fanbase had given up already). You started thinking that your personal view of Stargate as this "franchise brand" was shared by the fans, but you were wrong. Without the fans supporting the SHOWS which allowed this "franchise" to be created, you are nothing...as we are showing you. Thanks to you, Stargate SG-1 is dead, Stargate Atlantis is dead, and interestingly enough, Stargate Infinity which was also an off the wall non-canon show (albeit a cartoon) was cancelled for low ratings and lack of interest. So this is Lesson Two - STICK WITH THE PROGRAM. It was working fine...the only thing that changed is that YOU got bored of writing Stargate, so you wrote what YOU wanted and thought that throwing it in with this big "franchise" basket with "all things Stargate" in it was going to save the day.

IDIOT. You lost it all.

Agree completely. I think SGU was fatally flawed from conception onward but, once the mistake was made of producing the turd why the hell didn't ANYONE try to fix it??? I know it couldn't possibly be fixed to the point of being great, but these turds didn't even attempt to fix it to the point of being half-way good.

I know producing a TV show is a MONUMENTAL effort but what I don't understand is how TPTB could put that much effort into making two seasons of something that was obviously broken? The comments section of the video alone prove that fans were SCREAMING at the top of their lungs that something was horribly wrong in the Stargate world. How, seriously, HOW could BW et al simply plow ahead with their boring, tired, derivative, stolen, boring 2.0, hackneyed, high school melodrama? The FAIL just doesn't stop for Brad Wright, does it?

SerenityS

GateFans Member
Agree completely. I think SGU was fatally flawed from conception onward but, once the mistake was made of producing the turd why the hell didn't ANYONE try to fix it??? I know it couldn't possibly be fixed to the point of being great, but these turds didn't even attempt to fix it to the point of being half-way good.

I know producing a TV show is a MONUMENTAL effort but what I don't understand is how TPTB could put that much effort into making two seasons of something that was obviously broken? The comments section of the video alone prove that fans were SCREAMING at the top of their lungs that something was horribly wrong in the Stargate world. How, seriously, HOW could BW et al simply plow ahead with their boring, tired, derivative, stolen, boring 2.0, hackneyed, high school melodrama? The FAIL just doesn't stop for Brad Wright, does it?

Nope, and made me think of this scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Picture Brad as the Black Knight and SG fans as King Arthur:

Last edited by a moderator:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Nope, and made me think of this scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Picture Brad as the Black Knight and SG fans as King Arthur:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4
I loved how the twisted folks at Blizzard including a glaring reference to this bit in their Wrath of the Lich King expansion. Always makes me laugh when I do that encounter.

general grievous

GateFans Noob
Fans don't blindly follow franchies.

* Yet another lesson would be not to snub hard core fans with arrogant comments and make them feel that they will be easily replaced by teenage girls.

* And yet another lesson would be not to shoot the entire Season 1 before a single episode airs and no feedback from fans was received. They couldn't act on the feedback until season 2 (to their credit, they did act on some of it).

* Yet another lesson would be to actually consider 'the quality of the show' as a factor for low viewership, as opposed to blaming the downfall on fans 'campaigning against the show' or 'airing on Tuesday' or 'hulu'.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
* And yet another lesson would be not to shoot the entire Season 1 before a single episode airs and no feedback from fans was received. They couldn't act on the feedback until season 2 (to their credit, they did act on some of it).

And what "feedback" did they act on in season 2?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
And what "feedback" did they act on in season 2?

Less of it was crap?
S2.0 was more watchable IMO, but it was the difference between 1 step forward, 3 steps back and 1 step forward 2 steps back.
I honestly think it was getting "better", but it was far too late, and the "better bits" clashed with what had come before.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep, exactly.

Less of it was crap?
S2.0 was more watchable IMO, but it was the difference between 1 step forward, 3 steps back and 1 step forward 2 steps back.
I honestly think it was getting "better", but it was far too late, and the "better bits" clashed with what had come before.

What was wrong with season 2? Season 1, thats what. If the episodes were less serialized, then improvements in season 2 would have been more subtle. But it was already established in season 1 what these characters were about. They were NEVER a team, and making them into one after season 1 was pretty much impossible. Also, the stones...too many unfinished storylines started with them, and they remained in season 2 when the fans had said the BIGGEST flaw with SGU was those freakin stones.

The show was already too damaged by season 1 for the changes in season 2 to make up for them. I agree that season 2 was more watchable, but it was still shit IMO. The last half of season 2 will show whatever else they changed, but I dont expect much. I imagine there will have been changes, but not the ones I wanted to see made.

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
One thing.

You CANNOT fake quality. Its impossible. SGU is NOT quality writing and only someone who doesn't care, or is somehow incapable of understanding what a plot hole is could possibly say SGU is quality.

We need an updated list of SGU plot holes :D

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
They should have stuck to what they knew and not indulge in an artistic venture. Just cause JMS could write a serialized sci-fi show (Babylon 5) very well doesn't mean I'd expect him to do a romantic comedy well.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Good point.

They should have stuck to what they knew and not indulge in an artistic venture. Just cause JMS could write a serialized sci-fi show (Babylon 5) very well doesn't mean I'd expect him to do a romantic comedy well.

Good point. I knew from the moment that they picked Tim Burton to make the PotA remake that it would fail. Tim Burton is not a science fiction fan. He is a visual artist who is good with the "look" of stuff, not the substance of it.

Im not sure why Brad and Rob Cooper decided to make so many DRASTIC departures from Stargate to create SGU. All I can see in the timeline is the cancellation of BSG, and the perceived opportunity to snag those recently orphaned fans from that audience. Its VERY obvious that much of what is in Stargate Universe was meant to appeal to those fans. But these writers were not up to the task at all. Brad mentioned at some point that he was basically told by writers of other shows that he should just "do his little Stargate thing", and implied that he couldnt write drama. Well, they were RIGHT.

PROOF:

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/show-patrol/2010/03/brad-wright-action-packed-destiny-for-sgu.html

How are you feeling about what you've done so far, what you've accomplished so far. There has been a lot of positive feedback, but there's been a lot of backlash. Now you've got a Season 2 and Season 1 has had solid ratings. Are you happy with all the risks you took? Do you feel somewhat vindicated?

It's always great to get new viewers and I think we've done that. And we've improved in our demographic. I would have liked to have gotten a little more credit than we got with the show that we made. I think there's been, to be perfectly frank, there's been a small element of, "What are you guys doing? You guys do 'Stargate;' what are you trying to do this for? Why are you trying to do drama? Go back and do your little funny thing."
And we get that certainly from some of our old fans and I think from some critics who were not expecting us to do this and are making presumptions that we can't do it. And of course, Robert and I very strongly would like to prove that we can do it and are doing it.

That whole article is worth reading. :)

Tropicana

Council Member
some critics who were not expecting us to do this and are making presumptions that we can't do it. And of course, Robert and I very strongly would like to prove that we can do it and are doing it.
Yes it was done so well, the show got cancelled. What winners, big big winners.

Seems to me, that the "presumptions" were correct after all.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Most importantly the petty and forced negative drama was somewhat reduced..

"Somewhat reduced"? Whatever changes they made were so miniscule that they didn't affect the show in any great way. So in season 2 Wray was made a less shrill angry lesbian? She made "tea" and had counseling sessions with crew members? She worked for a few minutes in the hydroponics lab? These aren't changes worthy of note, let alone ones capable of saving the show.

Or how about Young becoming what, less incompetent? There wasn't as much character growth with him as people seem to think. He went from being an idiot to being a drunk idiot. I don't need or want to see a commander crawling into a bottle because he can't deal with the toughness of the job. I can understand an episode -- a single episode -- showing how hard it is to deal with the responsibility and things like the death of crew members, but to have that be the characters central theme for the entire show (his incompetence) is not appealing. And no, they didn't have him grow in any appreciable way. Lt. Scott yelled at him one time and then he got up and shaved and made a decision. Wow, that was worth the wait. Plus let's not forget the fact that he was still a huge ******* towards TJ, that much hasn't changed.

And of course there was still the bullshit drama, endless drama. The Earth scenes may have been eliminated but the stones were still used a ridiculous amount. Hell, there was even a ******* wedding! So, no, they didn't make ANY major changes worthy of note. The minor changes they made were cosmetic at best and you know what they say about lipstick on a pig. ;)

Lilith

GateFans Noob
Yes, and there's no way to undo what they've done unfortunatley (unless they want to do the whole "season 5 was a dream" thing, which I doubt...), and they're too arrogant at this point to even attempt a decent fix at this point. SGA will have to sleep until someone can come along and take care of it. I just hope it's soon enough for them to use the same actors since I like them so much.

SG-1 still has a chance, though. A small one with these PTB, but it's there.

Me too, I also like the actors.