• No

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Yes, But I am a stero type like eli.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'm not sure about the (dot)whatever.

If you want to try it, sure, go ahead. But I have no idea as to the result.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
I don't play MMO games, especially WoW. I knew someone who has lost a job over addiction to WoW, we used to play Unreal, but once WoW came out he started being less and less seen on Unreal and he just played WoW all day, he couldn't handle the job with it anymore, he could when playing Unreal still, it didn't interfere with him so much like WoW...

Seriously since then I started to think of WoW as one big trap and I will never ever try it....

Oh and "SG1wasbetterthanSGU", don't you think you are taking it over the edge a bit? You complained about 3 hours ban. A fucking 3 hours temp ban? Man...that's so little...that's nothing..I never ever had such a short temp ban, wow.

T

Tanith

WoW is one game I have refused to ever play. Used to have some friends in other games and then they stopped playing them and started to only ever played WoW all the time and they just seemed different after that. To me gaming is not something you should pay monthly for.

It also doesn't look like it takes a lot of skill to play either when compared to RTS, FPS etc.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I completely agree with this.

WoW is one game I have refused to ever play. Used to have some friends in other games and then they stopped playing them and started to only ever played WoW all the time and they just seemed different after that. To me gaming is not something you should pay monthly for either.

Thats why I stopped playing WoW. I think that paying a monthly charge for playing a game is ridiculous. Thats why when I wanted to play my buddies in Starcraft, we would have LAN parties and play over a VPN or direct connection. The newest Starcraft II game has LAN play disabled by Blizzard (the same folks who made WoW), and they think they are going to apply the WoW model to Starcraft? Different type of player altogether. Hackers are already looking for ways to make the game play on a LAN without having to log into Battle.net or pay any fees. They WILL succeed. :)

T

Tanith

Thats why I stopped playing WoW. I think that paying a monthly charge for playing a game is ridiculous. Thats why when I wanted to play my buddies in Starcraft, we would have LAN parties and play over a VPN or direct connection.
Do you use Hamachi for the VPN?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No, I use OpenVPN for Linux.

Do you use Hamachi for the VPN?

No, I use OpenVPN for Linux, and then play from my Windows machines on the network. Others connected to my VPN can connect to the game that way. But I have used Hamachi before...easy to set up! But my servers are all Linux with Windows and Apple clients connected.

Are you a computer geek?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
You pay 15 bucks a month to help pay the developers, Game Masters, Forum Moderators, Billing, and other support staff.

People don't do that for free, and it's not cheap.

And that's speaking as a business owner.

T

Tanith

You pay 15 bucks a month to help pay the developers, Game Masters, Forum Moderators, Billing, and other support staff.

Issue with that is there are more gaming companies than I care to mention that produce online games that are free to pay after your initial purchase. Would say that Valve (creators of Steam) are a good example.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Would say I am though more so on software than hardware. Can talk about my opinion on the best anti virus & browser for ages so does that make me a geek? :P

Yeah, if you are interested in doing more with your computer than visiting Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and reading email, that makes you a geek :D. I meant an IT professional...but a geek is a geek, and you know if you are one. :)

Not buying that. Blizzard makes the most money on selling the game retail ($60.00 a pop), then again on retail expansions. Gaming servers used to all be FREE for the life of the game, like it is for the old Starcraft and Warcraft I, II and III and all the awesome Microsoft games like AoE and Rise of Nations. The fact that all of those games have full LAN capability made any investment from Blizzard unnecessary, since private servers could carry the gaming load. This is about MONEY, not compensating programmers (who make more than 100K a year to start). Blizzard DISABLED the LAN component of the game to block the ability to play multiplayer for free on a LAN. There is no way to interpret that as anything other than greed.

I am also a small business owner. Once the game has been made and debugged, there is no need to continue collecting fees just to play the game people have payed for already.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Issue with that is there are more gaming companies than I care to mention that produce online games that are free to pay after your initial purchase. Would say that Valve (creators of Steam) are a good example.
One of your examples, Valve, doesn't have in-game customer support. World of Warcraft does. The "free" games make money selling you things using real world money. Somehow, someone pays to progress in the game.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why would ahyone need that?

One of your examples, Valve, doesn't have in-game customer support. World of Warcraft does. The "free" games make money selling you things using real world money. Somehow, someone pays to progress in the game.

What sort of customer support would ever be needed in any game? I played Warcraft I II and II, Diablo I and 2, Starcraft, and lots of other games in multiplayer and I cant see where having in game customer support is a plus. Paying to play a game is an unwanted twist in the game market. I would rather play free over a LAN. The practice of forcing people to have an internet connection and to play their servers is nothing but greed.

S

SG-1wasbetterthenSGU

I don't play MMO games, especially WoW. I knew someone who has lost a job over addiction to WoW, we used to play Unreal, but once WoW came out he started being less and less seen on Unreal and he just played WoW all day, he couldn't handle the job with it anymore, he could when playing Unreal still, it didn't interfere with him so much like WoW...

Seriously since then I started to think of WoW as one big trap and I will never ever try it....

Oh and "SG1wasbetterthanSGU", don't you think you are taking it over the edge a bit? You complained about 3 hours ban. A fucking 3 hours temp ban? Man...that's so little...that's nothing..I never ever had such a short temp ban, wow.

Well its the principle of the thing. I got banned for 3 hours for just calling someone a loser. Its dumb. This user terms of agreement stuff is such bullshit.

S

SG-1wasbetterthenSGU

Yeah, if you are interested in doing more with your computer than visiting Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and reading email, that makes you a geek :D. I meant an IT professional...but a geek is a geek, and you know if you are one. :)

Not buying that. Blizzard makes the most money on selling the game retail ($60.00 a pop), then again on retail expansions. Gaming servers used to all be FREE for the life of the game, like it is for the old Starcraft and Warcraft I, II and III and all the awesome Microsoft games like AoE and Rise of Nations. The fact that all of those games have full LAN capability made any investment from Blizzard unnecessary, since private servers could carry the gaming load. This is about MONEY, not compensating programmers (who make more than 100K a year to start). Blizzard DISABLED the LAN component of the game to block the ability to play multiplayer for free on a LAN. There is no way to interpret that as anything other than greed.

I am also a small business owner. Once the game has been made and debugged, there is no need to continue collecting fees just to play the game people have payed for already.

I have sc2 and i don't remeber any fees. I would gladly see all the GM's fired if I only had to pay 5 dollars a month. My opinion they are all bunch of SGU charaters. No offense Illiterati but profanity fitlers are good enough for anybodys kids anything else is just a waste.

The ingame support is a peice of shit anyway it takes them 4 plus fucking hours for them to answer my ticket when i need somthing. So its better to send them an e-mail and check your inbox the next day like you do with steam ANYWAY. So its really hard to justfiy on hiring full time GMs. Same goes for billing they always put you on hold. If they were gone they couldn't justfiy that 15 dollar a month fee.

oh btw would you be ok if I made a website like SGUS.net and then have it redirect to sgusucks.com?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Ya know, having been a GM for Blizzard, I know what the GMs are going through right now.

They've been told that for the foreseeable future, they will be working 10 hour days. When I was working there, Burning Crusade came out and I had two months of 50 hour weeks while trying to keep things together at home as a single Mom. It's not easy. Even though you end up with 10 hours of OT pay a week, it doesn't make you smile.

These people will see very little of their families, and will go home exhausted. The Game Master area is manned 24/7, too.

And for the person who mentioned it, in-game customer support means that when you accidentally disenchant the wrong item or delete the wrong character, you can send in a ticket to have that resolved very quickly. In-game support also is dealing with people who don't abide by the rules to which they agreed when they first signed up, and feel they have to run around like pinheaded fools, "screaming" profanity and racist comments all over the place. For some reason, some jackasses feel a need to run around Orgrimmar or Stormwind City, "yelling" "****** ****** ******" for no particular reason. And then they are surprised when there are consequences, because someone was offended and complained. The Game Master doesn't have to be there when you're yelling like a retarded, drunken, ill-bred myopic fool. S/He has tools that make research after the fact a snap!

Blizzard's Game Masters will get to your petition as quickly as possible, but s/he is currently dealing with fools who have nothing better to do than scream profanity, make lewd or just plain disgusting comments, or whatever else is offensive. Petitions are answered in the order in which they are received.

In-game support is investigating gold sellers who steal people's accounts when the account owner either a. installs an add-on to their WoW account that's contaminated with a keylogger or b. they hired some person in China to level their toon for them, because they didn't want to be bothered to learn to play their own fucking toon. It's not the brightest idea in the world to share your account information with a stranger.

(I still remember the fucktard huntard who asked how to train a pet, and he was level SIXTY!!! He should have learned that 50 levels before. I figured he leveled his account on eBay.)

I remember the fucking asshat who accidentally leveled his twink to 20 (before you could freeze your toon at a particular level), and then deleted it, telling his guildmates that he was going to send in a ticket and tell Blizzard that his account was compromised, someone leveled his toon to 20, and then deleted it.

Even Sarah Palin would see the hole in that story.

And imagine my fiendish joy when I found that conversation in the chatlog from the night before, when he told his guildmates what he'd done and what his plans were. I told the man that I would be happy to restore his toon, but, regretfully, I would be unable to roll back the experience on the character. Boy, was HE mad. I couldn't come right out and tell him I knew he was a fucking cockfaced liar, but I sure wanted to.

Believe me when I say that there isn't a whole lot that you do in game that Blizzard can't find out about if they just take a look. Like the IP logs that show where and when your account logged in. Or when you send in a ticket because the gold you bought from a scammer (also against the rules) didn't arrive. As soon as Blizzard discovers a scammer, they immediately freeze all mail, even the stuff that's hit the player's mailbox, if it's from the scammer. I suppose one could always do a chargeback to PayPal, since they didn't get their gold, but Blizzard isn't going to let you have it.

Blizzard Entertainment, based in Irvine CA with its satellite location in Austin TX, is peopled by individuals from age 18 to 60+. All have played World of Warcraft. Some stuck to it, and others moved away to other things. But ALL have been WoW players. They know what the game is like. They know what people are like. They also know that if THEY act like an asshat, Blizzard will likely fire their miserable ass.

Blizzard's worse than Santa Claus (or your mother) for seeing when you've been bad or good.

Whether or not you think that you should be able to swear, swearing is against the game's Terms of Service, of which I have included an excerpt below, with the pertinent information highlighted:

Words are powerful tools. Throughout your travels in Azeroth, you will be using these tools to achieve your goals, whether those are finding the perfect group to help you with a quest or getting a great price on that dagger you have had your eye on. As anyone who has hit their thumb with a hammer well knows, tools can cause great pain when used incorrectly. Words are no different. The use of inappropriate and offensive language in general, or against another player is not allowed. We reserve the right to evaluate each incident on a case by case basis and take action as necessary.

It's right there, and it's been there since the game first went live. As I said before, the filter isn't there to allow you to swear, and Blizzard has pretty much told you just that in that section of the Terms of Service.

Now, I should probably get to bed, as I have to wake up in about an hour and a half.

Ciao!

S

SG-1wasbetterthenSGU

Ya know, having been a GM for Blizzard, I know what the GMs are going through right now.

They've been told that for the foreseeable future, they will be working 10 hour days. When I was working there, Burning Crusade came out and I had two months of 50 hour weeks while trying to keep things together at home as a single Mom. It's not easy. Even though you end up with 10 hours of OT pay a week, it doesn't make you smile.

These people will see very little of their families, and will go home exhausted. The Game Master area is manned 24/7, too.

And for the person who mentioned it, in-game customer support means that when you accidentally disenchant the wrong item or delete the wrong character, you can send in a ticket to have that resolved very quickly. In-game support also is dealing with people who don't abide by the rules to which they agreed when they first signed up, and feel they have to run around like pinheaded fools, "screaming" profanity and racist comments all over the place. For some reason, some jackasses feel a need to run around Orgrimmar or Stormwind City, "yelling" "****** ****** ******" for no particular reason. And then they are surprised when there are consequences, because someone was offended and complained. The Game Master doesn't have to be there when you're yelling like a retarded, drunken, ill-bred myopic fool. S/He has tools that make research after the fact a snap!

I am this angery because half of the todays problems can be tracked down directly to blizzard. Please remember not everyone can read a giant list of rule thats why its going to be illegal to do it with credit cards.

Blizzard's Game Masters will get to your petition as quickly as possible, but s/he is currently dealing with fools who have nothing better to do than scream profanity, make lewd or just plain disgusting comments, or whatever else is offensive. Petitions are answered in the order in which they are received.

In-game support is investigating gold sellers who steal people's accounts when the account owner either a. installs an add-on to their WoW account that's contaminated with a keylogger or b. they hired some person in China to level their toon for them, because they didn't want to be bothered to learn to play their own fucking toon. It's not the brightest idea in the world to share your account information with a stranger.

(I still remember the fucktard huntard who asked how to train a pet, and he was level SIXTY!!! He should have learned that 50 levels before. I figured he leveled his account on eBay.)

I remember the fucking asshat who accidentally leveled his twink to 20 (before you could freeze your toon at a particular level), and then deleted it, telling his guildmates that he was going to send in a ticket and tell Blizzard that his account was compromised, someone leveled his toon to 20, and then deleted it.

Even Sarah Palin would see the hole in that story.

And imagine my fiendish joy when I found that conversation in the chatlog from the night before, when he told his guildmates what he'd done and what his plans were. I told the man that I would be happy to restore his toon, but, regretfully, I would be unable to roll back the experience on the character. Boy, was HE mad. I couldn't come right out and tell him I knew he was a fucking cockfaced liar, but I sure wanted to.

Believe me when I say that there isn't a whole lot that you do in game that Blizzard can't find out about if they just take a look. Like the IP logs that show where and when your account logged in. Or when you send in a ticket because the gold you bought from a scammer (also against the rules) didn't arrive. As soon as Blizzard discovers a scammer, they immediately freeze all mail, even the stuff that's hit the player's mailbox, if it's from the scammer. I suppose one could always do a chargeback to PayPal, since they didn't get their gold, but Blizzard isn't going to let you have it.

Blizzard Entertainment, based in Irvine CA with its satellite location in Austin TX, is peopled by individuals from age 18 to 60+. All have played World of Warcraft. Some stuck to it, and others moved away to other things. But ALL have been WoW players. They know what the game is like. They know what people are like. They also know that if THEY act like an asshat, Blizzard will likely fire their miserable ass.

Blizzard's worse than Santa Claus (or your mother) for seeing when you've been bad or good.

Whether or not you think that you should be able to swear, swearing is against the game's Terms of Service, of which I have included an excerpt below, with the pertinent information highlighted:

Words are powerful tools. Throughout your travels in Azeroth, you will be using these tools to achieve your goals, whether those are finding the perfect group to help you with a quest or getting a great price on that dagger you have had your eye on. As anyone who has hit their thumb with a hammer well knows, tools can cause great pain when used incorrectly. Words are no different. The use of inappropriate and offensive language in general, or against another player is not allowed. We reserve the right to evaluate each incident on a case by case basis and take action as necessary.

It's right there, and it's been there since the game first went live. As I said before, the filter isn't there to allow you to swear, and Blizzard has pretty much told you just that in that section of the Terms of Service.

Now, I should probably get to bed, as I have to wake up in about an hour and a half.

Ciao!

A female that explains the hardliner stuff on the kids hearing bady bad words. I don't want to be a sexist but seems like females are more protective then males when it comes to that sort of stuff.

No one ever reads the terms of agreement! Who would want to read a LONG list of unreasonable demands. You know there is acutally a legal defense of people not reading the terms of agreement right. Someone disobeyed the terms of agreement of yahoo.com and they got there e-mail account deleted. There defense was most people press agree on the terms agreement without reading them first. You know what yahoo was so scared of that defense they acutally simpley gave that user there account back in exchange for droping the case (more then likey some cash too). You know what I agree user terms of agreements are way toooooooo long its not reasonable to ask someone to read that much for a video game or an e-mail account. Not to mention they are thinking about making hard to read and long credit card contracts illegal in the united states!

I just dispute why we need humans doing what computers can do better. Computers can block bad words instantly. Billing can done with e-mail or via web inerface such as worldofwarcrat.com. You know what its not as annoying having some jerk ban you for 3 hours for saying a bad word. I rather they just have a profanity fitler its already turn on by default!!!!

You know what most people don't act like asshats when they cuss in wow. They cuss like you do in this forum. I cuss all the time in trade and I will keep doing it. Do you honestly think its right of blizzard to ban someone saying the word fuck if there is a profanity filter already in place? its just illogical and unfair to people who don't mind talking to adults.

I am sorry you worked 50 hour work weeks but its blizzard fault why you did...... not the players. You seem to blame the players for breaking the rules but who made the rules? Blizzard did all the rules. If there rules weren't so damn unreasonable strick you would have less work. Theres another issue too. Blizzard with all its wealth refuses to hire more GMs to give you a 40 hour work week. Don't you think blizzard should hire more GMs if they are under staffed?

Its not an exuse that the GM are over worked. If it takes 4 plus hours to get a ticket in then they shoud downsize to what steam has which is an e-mail only support system that is just as good without having waiting around for GM ingame or just logging out getting an e-mail anyway.

I honestly have no problem with gold buying as long as they get the gold honestly. I think its fucking retarded when they made that rule a few years back. All it did is drove it underground. Now they steal fucking accounts at epic levels to take your gold and sell it to someone else thx a lot blizzard real fucking smart. If they would have made gold selling ok they could have blizz approved gold selling stores that do not invole stealing my account. It has happen to me before all my shit is gone and I end up with a macro with a gold selling site spam. I forgot the name it was like goldmmo somthing .com. non the less the jugment(literally of a 4 year old) and credibility of blizzard should come into question when someone throws the terms of agreement at you.

I am this angery because blizzard causes lots of its own problems sort of like the government does sometime. There some common sense stuff they can do to fix it. I hope you do remember that most people are not going to read a big list of rules that goes on for pages. its just impratical. I don't blame the GMs for this mess but collectively you guys could say that some of the rules are unnecessary or being enforced the wrong way to blizzard.

Have sweet dreams.

Insomnium

GateFans Cadet
My experience with MMORPGs

For those of you who weren't around for my last comments on Massive multi-player online games.

Yeah, I tried Ultima Online but finally quit out of frustration: Too many cheating assholes, and game masters who didn't care.

And given the horror stories I've heard and seen recorded, it does'nt sound like it's any better on many other games either.

So yeah, I'll stick with Non-MMO RPGs.:cool:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
It appears as though the major preliminary update for the new Cataclysm expansion is being released today. Both the cinematic and login screens have changed.

Great timing! Moms everywhere are gonna be pissed!

"Honey! Dinnertime!"

"Oh, Mooooommmmm!!! Just another few minutes..."