Best Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror Movies of all time

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have had both books and TV/Movies that had an affect on me.

Obviously the Bible had an affect on me (a very good one IMHO). SciFi wise in books I would list the original Foundation trilogy (the later books were terrible), CJ Cherryh's Downbelow Station, Matheson's book I Am Legend and Larry Niven's books Lucifer's Hammer and Tales of Known Space.

Films are all over the place. Made for TV ones like Genesis II, 70's material like Logan's Run and The Omega Man and even a little art house film from the fifties named Five. Also 1984 (the British one with Donald Pleasance which is better than the William Hurt version) and even Equilibrium. Sorry GF but V for Vendetta did affect me - made me want to strangle the Wachowski Brothers for mutilating the source material and turning it on its head so they could shove their politics in my face. Waste of a fine performance by Hugo Weaving - but as usual Natalie Portman was sleep-acting.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I have had both books and TV/Movies that had an affect on me.

Obviously the Bible had an affect on me (a very good one IMHO). SciFi wise in books I would list the original Foundation trilogy (the later books were terrible), CJ Cherryh's Downbelow Station, Matheson's book I Am Legend and Larry Niven's books Lucifer's Hammer and Tales of Known Space.

Films are all over the place. Made for TV ones like Genesis II, 70's material like Logan's Run and The Omega Man and even a little art house film from the fifties named Five. Also 1984 (the British one with Donald Pleasance which is better than the William Hurt version) and even Equilibrium. Sorry GF but V for Vendetta did affect me - made me want to strangle the Wachowski Brothers for mutilating the source material and turning it on its head so they could shove their politics in my face. Waste of a fine performance by Hugo Weaving - but as usual Natalie Portman was sleep-acting.

Good thing I don't hold your choices against you then hey bud? :lol:
The Bible tends to make we want to do the same thing as well, I just have a longer "hitlist" :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well we did deviate to list things that affected us, and I felt that honesty required me to list it.

V for Vendetta got me ticked because the filmmakers did something I detest, which is twist and warp their source material so they can make "statements". Stick to the source material; and if you can't then write your own and don't play on the source to get viewers then swap in your own material - that is bait and switch.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Well we did deviate to list things that affected us, and I felt that honesty required me to list it.

V for Vendetta got me ticked because the filmmakers did something I detest, which is twist and warp their source material so they can make "statements". Stick to the source material; and if you can't then write your own and don't play on the source to get viewers then swap in your own material - that is bait and switch.

I would call it a "broader interpetation of the source material" Fawkes wanted to make a statement against what he viewed as "opressive government", can't say the film was not in essence about the same thing can you?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
V for Vendetta actually comes from a work by Alan Moore. Moore's work was pretty starkly different - there was no religious angle to Norsefire; no persecution of Muslims, whether or not V was a hero was very questionable and so on. It was a look at how fascism can take hold in a country and how a country can descend into anarchy. Moore himself disassociated from the film because they changed it too much.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
V for Vendetta actually comes from a work by Alan Moore. Moore's work was pretty starkly different - there was no religious angle to Norsefire; no persecution of Muslims,

I think that was more a function of it resonating with the modern viewer more than anything else.
whether or not V was a hero was very questionable and so on.
[/quote]
V is not a "hero", at least in the classical sense, he is someone who will do anything to affect his view, much like the punisher is not a "marvel superhero" either.
I don't "look up" top V, I merely try to understand his motivations.
It was a look at how fascism can take hold in a country and how a country can descend into anarchy. Moore himself disassociated from the film because they changed it too much.
Then He, even as the Author was only looking at the "pretty pretty" and the "V VS the world" type of construct. Beyond that, the story of the movie in NOT about the DECENT into Fascism, it the story of climbing back OUT of it.
It's fanfic with a studio behind it :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I find these lists rather meaningless, but I must admit that Blade Runner is one of my favorites.

Cmon, we ALL have a personal list! It may not match the one posted here, but I would be interested in your list. :)