Best Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror Movies of all time

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
That is a poll with only 2,609 votes. Plus it looks like they only voted on the top 10 as there is a "none of the above" option that won 14%. :P

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
That is a poll with only 2,609 votes. Plus it looks like they only voted on the top 10 as there is a "none of the above" option that won 14%. :P

The original poll was taken by SFX magazine. The one taken in the article is a different one. None of the above would probably include things like Star trek and so many others.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/category/magazine/latest-issue/

I see both Alien and Aliens. Didn't anyone like the 3rd installment, Alienses?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbu053_sigourney-weaver-in-alienses_fun

I guess not :p

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Love how Blade Runner is on top. It tops most lists like this, and deservedly so! But The Dark Knight? Best of all time top 10? :culpability:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I have to roll my eyes at The Empire Strikes Back as being so high up on the list, even higher than the original Star Wars. :icon_rolleyes: As someone who actually saw the original SW in the theater well before it caught on in popularity (I did, I swear) this love of Empire seems to be from all the wannabes who missed out on seeing SW during it's first run and had to jump on the bandwagon late in the game (the dick head hack Kevin Smith is a perfect example of the type of person I'm describing here; freakin' "Johnny Comelately" A-hole).

The fact is that Star Wars is the far better film as it was complete in toto. It had a beginning, a middle and an end. Empire didn't. Empire left us hanging for a sequel and therefore was not complete. One can watch Star Wars and be completely satisfied in terms of story telling yet one cannot say the same about Empire as the story is truncated and not finished by the end of the movie. Even stylistically Empire paled in comparison to Star Wars (dinner with Darth Vader -- really???). I could go on and on about this subject but just wanted to point out the ridiculousness of such popularity contests.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have to roll my eyes at The Empire Strikes Back as being so high up on the list, even higher than the original Star Wars. :icon_rolleyes: As someone who actually saw the original SW in the theater well before it caught on in popularity (I did, I swear) this love of TESB seems to be from all the wannabes who missed out on seeing SW during it's first run and had to jump on the bandwagon late in the game (the dick head hack Kevin Smith is a perfect example of the type of person I'm describing here).

The fact is that Star Wars is the far better film as it was complete in toto. It had a beginning, a middle and an end. Empire didn't; Empire left us hanging for a sequel and therefore was not complete. One can watch Star Wars and be completely satisfied in terms of story telling yet one cannot say the same about Empire as the story is truncated and not finished by the end of the movie. Even stylistically Empire paled in comparison to Star Wars (dinner with Darth Vader -- really???). I could go on and on about this subject but just wanted to point out the ridiculousness of such popularity contests.

I saw SW in the theater as well, in fact at Grauman's Chinese. :). The experience was not to be even remotely challenged except by Close Encounters (same year of release). But the story of the original Star Wars was like you said, it had a beginning and an end, and even though we did not know the beginning, it did not matter. They could have stopped with SW and been done right there. :anim_22: :tickled_pink:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I see both Alien and Aliens. Didn't anyone like the 3rd installment, Alienses?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbu053_sigourney-weaver-in-alienses_fun

Alienz? Ha! And no, Both Alien 3 (cubed) and Alien 4 sucked humongous donkey balls. I managed to catch up on my sleep during Alien 3 so I guess that's a good thing in a way. :shame: Oh -- and the one thing that made Alien 4 watchable was the scene where Wynona Ryder's character takes a shotgun blast to the stomach. Can I get an "Amen!"? :monkey:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I saw all three of the REAL Star Wars films in their initial runs (sorry but I won't dignify the prequels with the name of "star wars"). I liked them all to be honest.

Star Wars is as described - a complete film that is self contained. It is also quite the experience. The acting, writing and well everything were special. Empire is not as self contained - in a way it is part one of a long film with Return of the Jedi being the conclusion. But it is still an excellent film in its own right. The characterizations are strong and the story is both relatively easy to follow and has some depth to it. I especially liked Luke's training as it made both him as a character and Jedi's Knights as a character type much more three dimensional than before. Return of the Jedi was not totally up to the level of Empire but nonetheless was excellent as well. I especially liked that we finally get to see a "fully trained" (their words not mine) Jedi in action. The Luke of ROTJ is mature, with a serious manner and also truly powerful - for example Jabba the Hutt and his gang were simply overmatched.

So to me, the original trilogy is in effect two films (Star Wars and Empire-ROTJ). And both were really good .

G

Graybrew1

I know many of you might disagree, but I loved the LOTR Trilogy. I thought the acting, the SPFX and the writing were insanely good. I totally and completely enjoyed myself while watching each movie and was beyond satisfied by the end of the climax.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
What I wanna know is, why lump 3 genres into one freaking mess :(

SciphonicStranger

What I wanna know is, why lump 3 genres into one freaking mess :(

I agree - although some of the winners can arguably fit into more than one.

Personally, I'm not fond of these sorts of lists. I've never understood the human need to subjectively rank everything.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I think a lot of people tend to confuse the three, so maybe they just figured ......if you can't beat em, join em.

The only people who tend to bother with such lists DO know the difference however :(

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I agree - although some of the winners can arguably fit into more than one.

Personally, I'm not fond of these sorts of lists. I've never understood the human need to subjectively rank everything.

I would wager it is a need to express yourself, or relate to something. I find V for Vendetta and The Crow to be 2 movies that have very much affected me, and if I voted them the best, then whatever within the movies drew me to them is an "expression of myself" in a way, it's like when people have favorite quotes, they encapsulate a view that a person holds.

SciphonicStranger

I would wager it is a need to express yourself, or relate to something. I find V for Vendetta and The Crow to be 2 movies that have very much affected me, and if I voted them the best, then whatever within the movies drew me to them is an "expression of myself" in a way, it's like when people have favorite quotes, they encapsulate a view that a person holds.

I swear, I could create a list of top 10 whatever today and then create one a year later and it would probably be totally different. It all depends on my mood at the time. :P

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I swear, I could create a list of top 10 whatever today and then create one a year later and it would probably be totally different. It all depends on my mood at the time. :P
Are you telling me that there are not some movies, or books, or quotes or art that DON'T stay with you no matter what?

SciphonicStranger

Are you telling me that there are not some movies, or books, or quotes or art that DON'T stay with you no matter what?

Sure there are - the problem is that there are too many so picking a top 5, top 10, etc list never works.

SciphonicStranger

I could pick 5 or 10, but I couldn't rank them either dude.

Exactly my dilema, it is a little easier with movies and TV than it is with music but still tough. Maybe I just like too much stuff. :P