Battlestar Galactica movie project re-started, again

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The feature film version of “BSG” is not connected to plans for a new “Battlestar Galactica” TV series currently in development for NBCUniversal’s streaming service Peacock by executive producer Sam Esmail (“Mr. Robot”).

Kinberg intends to start from scratch with his script for the feature, which has been in development for years. Lisa Joy (HBO’s “Westworld”) and Jack Paglen (“Transcendence”) recently took passes at a screenplay, and Kinberg’s old “X-Men” colleague Bryan Singer was attached to direct as early as 2009.

so, nothing on setting- reboot- sequel? Will it be like "classic BSG" or "nuBSG"? Nothing out yet

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/...vie-simon-kinberg-writer-producer-1234813660/

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hmmm. So we don't know anything yet about the movie

A better question is where the $$$ for the movie will come from as while Hollywood isn't totally feeling the lost revenue from basically no theater season this year it will really be felt next year.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Hmmm. So we don't know anything yet about the movie

A better question is where the $$$ for the movie will come from as while Hollywood isn't totally feeling the lost revenue from basically no theater season this year it will really be felt next year.
it does have some 'deep' and old investment

this is the same project that Richard Hatch has been involved with since the 90's

it just keeps getting sidelined (nuBSG) and stalled

back then, the intent was to do a 'catch all' movie that took the story from the cylon attack to finding earth all in one film

all that is really known is what it wont be- which means, probably wont have anything to do with nuBSG. the new PEACOCK series is hinted as being a continuation of that story line, only, i think, 3000 yrs from now

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
it does have some 'deep' and old investment

this is the same project that Richard Hatch has been involved with since the 90's

it just keeps getting sidelined (nuBSG) and stalled

back then, the intent was to do a 'catch all' movie that took the story from the cylon attack to finding earth all in one film

all that is really known is what it wont be- which means, probably wont have anything to do with nuBSG. the new PEACOCK series is hinted as being a continuation of that story line, only, i think, 3000 yrs from now

That could be a big problem (bolded). I am a fan of the original BSG, but most of the current BSG audience is formed around NuBSG. It is going to have to appeal to them more than original fans.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We'll see soon enough. Based on the names floated for the writing room and such I am not optimistic because (as usual) they are not science fiction writers.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That could be a big problem (bolded). I am a fan of the original BSG, but most of the current BSG audience is formed around NuBSG. It is going to have to appeal to them more than original fans.

yeah, idk, i am not all excited about this ..1-its a movie and to me,for quite a while now, movies are just not a thing. well made and well told tv series-that know how and when to end-are the way to go

and 2- this is the latest tptb iteration in a project started back in the 90's by richard hatch. started by his then obsession with the way TOS ended-or rather didn't end- and trying to fix that issue

i am much more interested in in either
1- some kind of return to the CAPRICA story. love it or hate it, one thing that is true is that this show was short changed by syfy in their quest for the next big thing. they wanted another nuBSG and all we got was a lack of patience for new shows like CAPRICA and anything else that had promise on syfy at the time. it also got us crap like SGU and the 'death' of SGA

There is a HUGE story to tell and was going to be started with s2. the events leading up to the cylon war by first going into the reasons and actions of the initial cylon revolt.. so many things like was Daniel Graystone the first basestar Hybrid? (aka- the old man in the tub in BSG Razor) @Gate_Boarder knows what i am talking about (lets see if that wakes up gate_boarder again :) )

or

2- this new show on peacock, if it is what it sounds like it could be, it may be interesting

the brief info given is that it may be in the nuBSG universe (show runner saying no reasons to undo/redo the "perfection" of RDM)

but set in our future.. i think the article said 30,000 yrs, but i think maybe 3000 would be more like it, or the yr 3000. 30,000yrs is enough time for our civ to rise to its top,fall then rise again. i think the purpose of ending nuBSG in our present day with the epilogue would be undone if they went too far into the future-skipping a whole cycle of "all this has happened before..."

i am sure i am the only one here who would like to see it set around say 3000ad and have it open to the "head" 6 and "head" baltar characters walking through the NYC of tha ttime-as they did in nuBSG ending, talking about how it was time to for "IT all to begin again...lets see if man has learned its lessons yet"

this would give the attn needed to those TOS characters known as the beings of light, who in nuBSG the 'head' creatures basically are

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I would love a "Braveheart" type old school reboot movie where they could tell the entire story in 3 plus hours yet make it so engaging that it wouldn't feel like 3 plus hours. I doubt anyone could pull that off. I expect that anything new would need to be a TV show and it will be too expensive to produce.