Back on the Grid

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I've been off the grid for the past ten days at the World Boardgaming Championships. Good times. Lots of played games, a seminar presented and also working with a couple of designers on games in the development process.

Yes it's a 12 hour drive but the payoff is worth it. Next year it will be a touch closer to home as it moves west from Lancaster, PA to the Seven Springs Mountain Resort. Still in PA but much more upscale than our prior facility.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Depending on the game you were playing, you may have still been on the grid.

:)

giphy.gif

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I've been off the grid for the past ten days at the World Boardgaming Championships. Good times. Lots of played games, a seminar presented and also working with a couple of designers on games in the development process.

Yes it's a 12 hour drive but the payoff is worth it. Next year it will be a touch closer to home as it moves west from Lancaster, PA to the Seven Springs Mountain Resort. Still in PA but much more upscale than our prior facility.

OH! OH! Did you play the Game of Life? I heard that if you get the "missed mortgage payments" card, you move directly to "cheap motel", where you are forced to spin for a chance to "cheat with cheap hooker" and lose it all.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Nope. The Game of Life is not on the syllabus. Most of the tournament games are more "up there" on the complexity scale.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
you have gotta admit Joe, Diplomacy is really not that hard of a game.
At least rules wise...............

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Simple rules but extremely complex game situation.

Among other games I got to play:

Churchill - Outstanding game where the players are the "Big three" working out the prosecution of World War 2 and the peace to come at a really high level.

Forbidden Stars - Strategic level game of the 40K universe.

Fire in the Lake - simulation of the entire Vietnam War. Designers have major creds on the topic has both work in national security.

Add in other, somewhat lighter games (like a really good game on NuBSG that incites paranoia) and it was 16 games played.