Babylon 5 RE-BOOT by J. Michael Strac for the CW/ HBO MAX announced

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

The beloved Babylon 5 is getting rebooted, and series creator JMS is running the show​

to be a total re-boot. J Mike Strac currently writing the pilot. Premise is very similar to the original, but seems the diff may have a corporate twist rather then a Imperial Earth theme of the original

In a from-the-ground-up reboot of the original series, John Sheridan, an Earthforce officer with a mysterious background, is assigned to Babylon 5, a five-mile-long space station in neutral space, a port of call for travelers, smugglers, corporate explorers and alien diplomats at a time of uneasy peace and the constant threat of war. His arrival triggers a destiny beyond anything he could have imagined, as an exploratory Earth company accidentally triggers a conflict with a civilization a million years ahead of us, putting Sheridan and the rest of the B5 crew in the line of fire as the last, best hope for the survival of the human race.

to air on the CW. seems there is some push back from us older sci fi geezers complaining over having to pay for so many diff streamers to get sci fi we want. Orville going to HULU was a last straw for some. This seems to maybe have been used as a selling point by the Strac team to get Warner to put this on the CW

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'd feel better if it was not on the CW - they have a terrible reputation for forcing wokeness into their programming.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I'd feel better if it was not on the CW - they have a terrible reputation for forcing wokeness into their programming.
I watched a video on this, and the YT'r had ref'd a tweet of Strac's saying he and his team really didn't want to be behind a paywall due to the issue of so many older sci fi fans-- his fans-- not being cool with all the streamers and paying for so many diff sites to get content.. like Orville when they had it on FOX

CW is the only non pay Warner owned network?

and I remember Strac not being too shy on the woke stuff back in the day.. for that time.. some 'edgy' stuff in JEREMIAH

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
With modern SFX techniques and other production methods AND JMS at the head of it, just think of how they can make it look? It was very good for the early 90's as a show on a low budget on the new PTEN network

we can hope he and his team can do it again but much better with all the new "toys'

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Interesting. I still have to watch the original Babylon 5. I wonder which one I'll end up watching first now. Probably the new one. :D

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I still have to watch the original Babylon 5
what? let me re-phrase that: WHAT???? :)

hard to believe you have never watched it.. its probably one of the best- still- sci fi and any genre shows on TV

imo- only DARK is better overall

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Lol. Still have to watch the original BSG as well.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Both original B5 and original BSG are treats, albeit for different reasons.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z54XNJivHOs

Return to BABYLON 5 as the epic interstellar saga continues with THE ROAD HOME. Travel across the galaxy with John Sheridan as he unexpectedly finds himself transported through multiple timelines and alternate realities in a quest to find his way back home. Along the way he reunites with some familiar faces, while discovering cosmic new revelations about the history, purpose, and meaning of the Universe. BABYLON 5: THE ROAD HOME will be available on Digital, 4K UHD and Blu-ray on August 15, 2023.

Looks like a fusion of Sliders and Starship troopers. The animation looks like the ones from Spider-Man: The New Animated Series but the lips movement are terrible.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Return to BABYLON 5 as the epic interstellar saga continues with THE ROAD HOME. Travel across the galaxy with John Sheridan as he unexpectedly finds himself transported through multiple timelines and alternate realities in a quest to find his way back home. Along the way he reunites with some familiar faces, while discovering cosmic new revelations about the history, purpose, and meaning of the Universe. BABYLON 5: THE ROAD HOME will be available on Digital, 4K UHD and Blu-ray on August 15, 2023.

Looks like a fusion of Sliders and Starship troopers. The animation looks like the ones from Spider-Man: The New Animated Series but the lips movement are terrible.
IDT this is the re=boot, this is more of a continuation story. Another one of the stand alone B5 movies that were to be made before money and interest ran out about 20 yrs ago. they did make about 4 or 5 stand alone movies; well they were tied into the main plot, but did not ""have to"" be watched

The re-boot according to JMS is supposed to be live action and entirely reworked per Post 1 in this thread

Shadow Mann

Staff member

Wait, it's animated?

Shadow Mann

Staff member
IDT this is the re=boot, this is more of a continuation story. Another one of the stand alone B5 movies that were to be made before money and interest ran out about 20 yrs ago. they did make about 4 or 5 stand alone movies; well they were tied into the main plot, but did not ""have to"" be watched

The re-boot according to JMS is supposed to be live action and entirely reworked per Post 1 in this thread
If it isn't going to be live-action, I will never be able to connect it to B5 canon.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
If it isn't going to be live-action, I will never be able to connect it to B5 canon.
i am not planning on watching this cartoon, but your issue with cartoons is a 'you' problem :) :)

but it is clear why they went with a cartoon though.. obvious

as for the live action reboot,, I can wait

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Wait, it's animated?
Wait, it's animated?
Straczynski revealed in May 2023 that he had been working in secret with Warner Bros. Animation to produce Babylon 5: The Road Home, a full-length animated film.[153][154] Most of the main surviving cast members will voice their characters in the film, including Boxleitner, Christian, Jurasik, Mumy, Scoggins and Tallman. Other voice actors, replacing roles of those that had died, include Paul Guyet as Zathras and Jeffery Sinclair, Anthony Hansen as Michael Garibaldi, Mara Junot as Reporter and Computer Voice, Phil LaMarr as Dr. Stephen Franklin, Piotr Michael as David Sheridan, Andrew Morgado as G'Kar, and Rebecca Riedy as Delenn.[155] The film is scheduled to premiere at Comic-Con in July 2023, and will be available on streaming services, including Amazon, Apple TV, Vudu, and YouTube, on August 15, 2023. Physical media releases are also planned.[156]

Babylon 5: The Road Home is a upcoming American animated film produced by Warner Bros. Animation and distributed by Warner Bros. Discovery Home Entertainment. The film was directed by Matt Peters, with a screenplay by original Babylon 5 franchise creator, J. Michael Straczynski. The film is the seventh feature film in the Babylon 5 franchise and is the second installment to be released direct-to-video (the first was the Babylon 5: The Lost Tales miniseries), as well as the first animated installment. It makes use of CGI animation.[1] The film will be released on August 15, 2023.

yup

Shadow Mann

Staff member
i am not planning on watching this cartoon, but your issue with cartoons is a 'you' problem :) :)

but it is clear why they went with a cartoon though.. obvious

as for the live action reboot,, I can wait
I like certain animated things, like Clone Wars, Lower Decks, Toy Story, stuff like that. I don't dislike the genre, I just do not see it as being similar enough for one to continue the canon of the other. Even Gene Roddenberry who approved of Star Trek the Animated Series said from the very start that it was not part of live-action canon. George Lucas himself did not make The Clone Wars canon, but Disney has, kinda.

I just said all that to say that whatever they do as an animated Babylon 5 thing, I will probably give it a watch but it won't serve as canon for any of the live action story to me. It is a "me" thing with that!