Awake (New NBC Series)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I think you're both half right...sorta...kinda. The concept is mildly interesting for a nanosecond but ultimately tedious and boring in the long run for a TV series. I wouldn't watch it simply because it would never give a satisfying explanation to this guy's issue of jumping worlds. Why invest the time getting involved in a show that, like LOST, will just be bizarre for the sake of being bizarre but won't ever give a satisfying pay off? I've got better things to do with my time.

Could the advertising and time slot help keep it alive? Sure, for a little while, but in the long run I don't think it would/will matter much.

Have you seen the pilot? The show really makes the most of its premise and the first episode in particular shows how compelling its ideas are.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
I think you're both half right...sorta...kinda. The concept is mildly interesting for a nanosecond but ultimately tedious and boring in the long run for a TV series. I wouldn't watch it simply because it would never give a satisfying explanation to this guy's issue of jumping worlds. Why invest the time getting involved in a show that, like LOST, will just be bizarre for the sake of being bizarre but won't ever give a satisfying pay off? I've got better things to do with my time.

Could the advertising and time slot help keep it alive? Sure, for a little while, but in the long run I don't think it would/will matter much.
exactly.. to me this series is just another one in a long run of these kinds of tv series that is just "MEH"

also yoshi "critically acclaimed" doesnt mean jack shit as many many many things that critics like/liked have been utter crap.. i dont listen to critics and i do not understand people who do and take their word fr ANYTHING as im one of those people who make up my own damned mind!

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
exactly.. to me this series is just another one in a long run of these kinds of tv series that is just "MEH"

also yoshi "critically acclaimed" doesnt mean jack $#@! as many many many things that critics like/liked have been utter crap.. i dont listen to critics and i do not understand people who do and take their word fr ANYTHING as im one of those people who make up my own damned mind!

I too usually base my opinions off my own viewing of things but there's too many TV shows to watch them all. I can't exactly tune in to every new show that starts up. Reading a variety of reviews for a show can help to provide a flavor the opinion surrounding it, I see nothing wrong with that. I also find that reviews articulate the quality of a show far better than any other kind of scale; we read newspapers, we learn from historians, everything is tainted by opinion to a certain degree. At the end of the day you have to put some stock in a collection of professional sources.

you are missing his point..

I was just wondering if he'd seen the pilot then decided to not watch it, or if he'd just based that on the concept/what he's heard. I felt there was a certain degree of payoff for the show in the first episode so him seeing it (or not) changes the nature of the debate.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Have you seen the pilot? The show really makes the most of its premise and the first episode in particular shows how compelling its ideas are.

No, I didn't bother watching the pilot, a decision I made based upon the commercials for the show and the couple clips of it I saw in interviews for promoting it. I can't remember the lead actors name but he was doing interviews right before it premiered and the clip didn't do anything for me.

This makes my point though as the premise itself isn't compelling enough to sustain interest. This doesn't mean I hate the show or want it to fail I should mention, rather, just that I can understand why it's not doing that well. The basic premise just doesn't resonate, certainly not with discerning viewers who don't want to be disappointed yet again.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
No, I didn't bother watching the pilot, a decision I made based upon the commercials for the show and the couple clips of it I saw in interviews for promoting it. I can't remember the lead actors name but he was doing interviews right before it premiered and the clip didn't do anything for me.

This makes my point though as the premise itself isn't compelling enough to sustain interest. This doesn't mean I hate the show or want it to fail I should mention, rather, just that I can understand why it's not doing that well. The basic premise just doesn't resonate, certainly not with discerning viewers who don't want to be disappointed yet again.

I have to disagree with your points in relation to this show but I guess I can understand where your coming from. In a post-Lost world there are more than a few shows out there being weird with this over-arching mystery that may or may not end up paying off. I think the premise in Awake is endlessly compelling though and the show handles it very cleverly. I don't really think there's a payoff to be worried about; one reality is real, the other is a dream. The show is about the main character attempting to live in both. I genuinely think you'd have different feelings about the show if you'd watched an episode.

On a side note, excluding the 'lost-effect' I'd still say Awake has an interesting premise as far as TV shows go. I can't think of any that premiered in the last year that had a better concept. Perhaps we just fundamentally disagree on that (which is fine) but I'd be interested to know what kind of thing you'd consider interesting for a network show.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I have to disagree with your points in relation to this show but I guess I can understand where your coming from. In a post-Lost world there are more than a few shows out there being weird with this over-arching mystery that may or may not end up paying off. I think the premise in Awake is endlessly compelling though and the show handles it very cleverly. I don't really think there's a payoff to be worried about; one reality is real, the other is a dream. The show is about the main character attempting to live in both. I genuinely think you'd have different feelings about the show if you'd watched an episode.

On a side note, excluding the 'lost-effect' I'd still say Awake has an interesting premise as far as TV shows go. I can't think of any that premiered in the last year that had a better concept. Perhaps we just fundamentally disagree on that (which is fine) but I'd be interested to know what kind of thing you'd consider interesting for a network show.

You want me to be a show runner now? :icon_lol:

Personally I do prefer shows that are sci-fi and/or supernatural but I know that isn't a huge demographic for network programming. So, when the networks do a show that has some of those elements integral to the premise I want to know that it will be a satisfying run for me as a viewer. Past experience with this has made me (and millions of others) cynical about such shows now. We're tired of cliffhangers with no satisfying resolution after 9 months of waiting. We're tired (oh so tired!) of questions being added to questions being added to questions when it comes to the plot of these shows. That's why we're no longer tuning in and supporting them.

Cynical yes, but I think it's a valid explanation for why shows such as Awake don't do well. It's not just bad schedule placement or lack of advertising. The goofy, odd, weird, bizarre premise isn't original as that has been done numerous times already (weird premise for the sake of being weird -- I can hear the pitch being made in the studio offices "We've got this detective but here's the twist -- either his wife or his son is dead and everyday this guy wakes up in a world where either one is still alive..."). You can change the characters and some minor points but most viewers still see the premise as being cliche' (forced weirdness) and not worth their time.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Tonight's episode was really weird with that penguin hanging around. I did like Rex's new girlfriend though. :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Awake still keeps my interest.

Tonight's episode was really weird with that penguin hanging around. I did like Rex's new girlfriend though. :)

I too loved the penguin...kept thinking of Billy Madison! ;) As to the girlfriend..."progressive parenting" really? REALLY??? that's too "california cool"...and has been completely dismissed by many sociologists/psychologists as a viable parenting style. :facepalm: I mean it's completely obvious these writers don't have kids of their own. :rolleyes:

This week's ep was interesting as well...love the tie in between his "realities" and what in heck is his boss up to? I got squicky at Christopher Cousins as the child molester (Sam is so gonna kick Joe's azzz...green if you get the stargate reference! ;) ) but was intrigued at him seeing the old tattoo under the New one "Hector" had. :) over all the show is still keeping my interest (very hard to do!) and I will keep watching it. :)

SciphonicStranger

I too loved the penguin...kept thinking of Billy Madison! ;) As to the girlfriend..."progressive parenting" really? REALLY??? that's too "california cool"...and has been completely dismissed by many sociologists/psychologists as a viable parenting style. :facepalm: I mean it's completely obvious these writers don't have kids of their own. :rolleyes:

This week's ep was interesting as well...love the tie in between his "realities" and what in heck is his boss up to? I got squicky at Christopher Cousins as the child molester (Sam is so gonna kick Joe's azzz...green if you get the stargate reference! ;) ) but was intrigued at him seeing the old tattoo under the New one "Hector" had. :) over all the show is still keeping my interest (very hard to do!) and I will keep watching it. :)

Ah yes, he played Sam's ambassador hubby in 2010 and potential hubby in 2001. He screwed President Kinsey pretty bad. :P

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Ah yes, he played Sam's ambassador hubby in 2010 and potential hubby in 2001. He screwed President Kinsey pretty bad. :P

SG1 GREEN for you for being so smart! ;) so did you like the episode? I find the more they delve into Britton's boss being involved with his"accident" the more interesting it is. :)

SciphonicStranger

SG1 GREEN for you for being so smart! ;) so did you like the episode? I find the more they delve into Britton's boss being involved with his"accident" the more interesting it is. :)

Yes - and it made me hungry for tacos. ;)

SciphonicStranger

Tonight's Nightswimming was a filler episode but still enjoyable. I liked how they framed the pool scene. :icon_cool:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Well, while I don't know if those nekkid legs were his, the top view wasn't bad. At least from my perspective.

SciphonicStranger

Well, while I don't know if those nekkid legs were his, the top view wasn't bad. At least from my perspective.

They need a body double for male legs? Hollywood is a messed up place. :P ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
LOL well watching it tonight sounds like it's going to be interesting! ;) it's become a friday night tradition now-- watching awake and last week's blue bloods (have I said I LOVE ON DEMAND TV????) beats watching bad scifi movies. :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
okay- saw night swimming and it was a good ep. It seems that in one reality Britton is really willing to move forward- the one with his wife. I have my suspicions how he will "move forward" in the reality with his son...;) I'm with illiterati-- the view was nice. :)

SciphonicStranger

I just got caught up on Say Hello to My Little Friend and someone should really reconsider the cancellation of this show. :rolleyes:

They had me thinking that maybe Britten bit the dust via the bungee jump in the Rex reality. There seems to be some sort of conspiracy going on that I doubt will be resolved in the last two episodes.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
next week is the season finale I think. once it ends, I'll give you hubby's and my speculation about the show and the who/what/when/where of it all! We have twisted enough minds that what we came up with makes sense with what we have seen thus far! :P

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Didn't NBC put this show to sleep (no pun intended)? Why bother investing one's self into a show knowing it will leave you hanging permanently?