Avengers Endgame

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Didn't see a thread for one, so...

One comment/question. Guess it is a broader question beyond this movie, but, if Thanos' invasion is so big and serious, and looks as it is.. why don't the XMEN and Fantastic Four show up for the final battle.. aren't those teams also under S.H.I.E.L.D.?

I know, probably a rookie question? But, just as I hadn't really EVER watched any SG until after I joined GF's, I haven't really paid much attn to the marvel or dc stuff (other than Dark Knight batman films/GOTHAM ) either

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The use of Thanos like they did in Endgame and Infinity War created a bunch of problems. One of them I actually alluded to back when Infinity War came out, namely that Doctor Strange should have been able to handle Thanos easily with his mystic arts abilities and the Time Stone and that the explanation they shoehorned in did not work.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The use of Thanos like they did in Endgame and Infinity War created a bunch of problems. One of them I actually alluded to back when Infinity War came out, namely that Doctor Strange should have been able to handle Thanos easily with his mystic arts abilities and the Time Stone and that the explanation they shoehorned in did not work.
and when everyone came in to fight through the "portals" Dr Strange was there, with powers, does this mean they all came in from a time when he had his Stone?

meaning there is more than 1 set of stones?

this is one of the things about marvel-and a lot of comic book stuff i don't like: unexplained events and powers. OR worse, where the explanations are themselves fantastical

why i like the Dark Knight BATMAN films-which GOTHAM is a part of. Every hero or villains powers are explained as either scientific or through some kind of enhancement-like the bat suit

marvel movies TOO EASY blend that which is scientific- like Iron man or even the hulk and the unexplained fantastical, like Thor. a distinction of course should exist between the two. So, we can just blame it all on Marvel and DC for the people who dont get that Star WARS is NOT Sci-Fi and that Star Trek is NOT fantasy :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep!

To me you can make the most fantastical stuff in your story and it is fine so long as the rules it operates under are both known and obeyed. So I am okay even with outright magic so long as it follows consistent rules.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yep!

To me you can make the most fantastical stuff in your story and it is fine so long as the rules it operates under are both known and obeyed. So I am okay even with outright magic so long as it follows consistent rules.

Yep as in there is now more then one set of stones?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep that the MCU has been of late folding in unexplained fantastical stuff to make their stories work.

I think I alluded to this in an older thread (review of Doctor Strange) but Feige messed up by having the Dr. Strange film occur before Infinity War and Endgame. It need to be after and so did Captain Marvel.

My reasoning is that Strange is the most powerful character in the MCU. And Captain Marvel is also stupidly overpowered. By having their films before Thanos did his thing they had to resort to a lot of hackneyed plot explanations for how Thanos was able to succeed at all.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yep that the MCU has been of late folding in unexplained fantastical stuff to make their stories work.

I think I alluded to this in an older thread (review of Doctor Strange) but Feige messed up by having the Dr. Strange film occur before Infinity War and Endgame. It need to be after and so did Captain Marvel.

My reasoning is that Strange is the most powerful character in the MCU. And Captain Marvel is also stupidly overpowered. By having their films before Thanos did his thing they had to resort to a lot of hackneyed plot explanations for how Thanos was able to succeed at all.
is there a thanos backstory on screen?

asking because couldn't any of his supporters who were not at the last fight also use "something" to push reset

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i know i asked, but what is the reasoning for why an event of global implications like Thanos' attack DID NOT draw the attention of the XMEN and FANTASTIC FOUR

and who was the woman hero on the pegasus in the battle? i am up to the first ant man watching in timeline order, and she hasn't appeared yet

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
is there a thanos backstory on screen?

asking because couldn't any of his supporters who were not at the last fight also use "something" to push reset

Unless there is something we do not know about there is only one Time Stone. But then again in Endgame they used a gizmo whipped up by Ant-Man and Stark to go back in time and get the stones to undo the snap.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Unless there is something we do not know about there is only one Time Stone. But then again in Endgame they used a gizmo whipped up by Ant-Man and Stark to go back in time and get the stones to undo the snap.
the ancient gave the time stone to banner, yet when strange shows up at the end for the battle, doesn't he have it then as well? cant remember..thats how casually i am watching this stuff

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Thanos seemed to be too much of the unstoppable being. This way when he is defeated, it makes the hero all the more heroic--a cheap way of satisfying viewers

to relate to a new "concern" similar to this in SW's is that some SW's fans on YT and other places..thinking that DISNEY is listening to them after seeing some of the developments and use of LEGENDS stuff in MANDALORIAN --are suggesting that the new trilogy be overwritten with the LEGENDS race of the invading Yuzhan Vong

i never read those legends comics and books in the YV war fought in between them and the forced alliance of necessity between the new republic and imperial remnant s to fight them

what i have seen is that they too are presented as unstoppable.. reptilian and using weapons unlike anything seen in SWs

i equate them to the Magog on ANDROMEDA in these regards... using the Vong would be a new low for SW's imo.. it just takes the whole story deep into pew pew land with no overarching themes other than those found in a Zombie movie-- basic survival

its the same as using Thanos imo

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
TBH, I still don't understand why they would decide to make an Infinity War and Endgame movie where they basically kill everything off. WHY? I was hoping Doctor Strange would have come back and reversed everything.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That is the core issue. By having the Doctor Strange movie BEFORE Infinity War and Endgame they cause every problem encountered to have to explain why Doctor Strange didn't just use the Time Stone. And this is especially true with regards to all things Thanos as Strange defeated Dormammu with the Time Stone and Thanos is not even in the same power plane as Dormammu.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That is the core issue. By having the Doctor Strange movie BEFORE Infinity War and Endgame they cause every problem encountered to have to explain why Doctor Strange didn't just use the Time Stone. And this is especially true with regards to all things Thanos as Strange defeated Dormammu with the Time Stone and Thanos is not even in the same power plane as Dormammu.
there was that bit about Strange giving up the time stone to Thanos and the way the Elder (??) reacted when smart hulk told her how he gave it away so easily

"well he is supposed to be the best of us all..if he did that then... so HERE YA GO" an explanation for another film?

in other movies this would be called a plot hole.. but the number of films and the jumbled timeline order vs production order get them a weird kind of "pass" on plot holes... "oh, they'll get to it in a few yrs with the Chartreuse Dangerman 1 film"

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This kind of plot hole is not one I can pass on so easily. In his origin film Strange defeats Dormammu - who is FAR more powerful than Thanos - with the Time Stone. So he should have done the same to Thanos.

This was caused by having his origin film before Infinity War instead of after it.