Are there ANY games left that have direct IP multiplayer?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im bummed. I usually treat myself to a new PC game about once every 6 months, play it to the end and then look for the next versions or try new ones. But the thing I have noticed is that direct IP multiplayer is not available much anymore. Every game has to connect to a "service" which runs the game servers. What happened to calling your buddy and exchanging IP addresses and hosting/joining a direct IP two player game? Its a turn off. It really hit me with Grand Theft Auto 4, when I decided to run a performance monitor whilst playing the game. The Rockstar Social Club application that runs and connects you to the game is a resource hog, and the game itself is laggy, even on a quad core machine with 8 gigs of RAM and a 1gb video card.

Are there any left that dont require a middleman server service?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Im bummed. I usually treat myself to a new PC game about once every 6 months, play it to the end and then look for the next versions or try new ones. But the thing I have noticed is that direct IP multiplayer is not available much anymore. Every game has to connect to a "service" which runs the game servers. What happened to calling your buddy and exchanging IP addresses and hosting/joining a direct IP two player game? Its a turn off. It really hit me with Grand Theft Auto 4, when I decided to run a performance monitor whilst playing the game. The Rockstar Social Club application that runs and connects you to the game is a resource hog, and the game itself is laggy, even on a quad core machine with 8 gigs of RAM and a 1gb video card.

GTA4 was a travesty on the PC. I remember playing it on mine, ran like garbage! The problem was, it was because the game was a direct port from the console version(PC version came out 8 months after the console version). They did a really lousy job with it. I actually protested to get my money back.

I am usually a singleplayer gamer but, are you into fps?
Are you into RPG? You can try out Mass effect(Which is sci-fi btw :P). Or you can try out the call of duty series.
The true multiplayer experience games are mainly in the fps or MMO region these days.

Red Mage

Boney

Maybe a few games from smaller publishers or indie games might still have direct ip multiplayer. Almost all the large developers and publishers have moved towards making gamers user their servers because it is a way they can control piracy of their software. Their servers check for valid and duplicate product keys to make sure users aren't using a key generator or playing a copy of a game with a key already being used.