Apple unveils 12.9" iPad and ... OMG .. it can RUN TWO APPS AT ONCE!

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
For that price I would just get a Surface Pro 3 which would run rings around the iPad Pro in performance and runs full applications not mobile apps. I thought it was REALLY funny that Apple wound up having Microsoft show off their Office for iPad suite at this rollout instead of iWork - I think they figured out that the Office for iOS apps work better on iOS devices than Apple's own apps do :icon_rotflmao:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
For that price I would just get a Surface Pro 3 which would run rings around the iPad Pro in performance and runs full applications not mobile apps. I thought it was REALLY funny that Apple wound up having Microsoft show off their Office for iPad suite at this rollout instead of iWork - I think they figured out that the Office for iOS apps work better on iOS devices than Apple's own apps do :icon_rotflmao:

The Surface Pro 3 will even run OSX itselv in a virtual machine. :)

Apple is so far behind...

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I'm still laughing at the boasting that it can run two apps at once. :icon_lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's silly at a lot of levels.

A 12.9" (really 13 inch) screen is laptop territory. Using a phone/tablet OS really makes no sense, especially when the primary scenario for that size device is productivity. In fact, without MS Office for iOS this device would be dead in the water for any business use. Even with it (and especially in light of the announcements this week of Surface Pro 3 being available and promoted/supported in Dell and HPs business channels) the use case is hard to figure.

Will it sell a lot? Sure - it's Apple and the iSheep will snap it up without even asking what the use for it is. They will sell millions - which shortly after sale will sit more and more on the shelf of the buyer as they realize there is no real purpose to the device...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's silly at a lot of levels.

A 12.9" (really 13 inch) screen is laptop territory. Using a phone/tablet OS really makes no sense, especially when the primary scenario for that size device is productivity. In fact, without MS Office for iOS this device would be dead in the water for any business use. Even with it (and especially in light of the announcements this week of Surface Pro 3 being available and promoted/supported in Dell and HPs business channels) the use case is hard to figure.

Will it sell a lot? Sure - it's Apple and the iSheep will snap it up without even asking what the use for it is. They will sell millions - which shortly after sale will sit more and more on the shelf of the buyer as they realize there is no real purpose to the device...

And that is EXACTLY what has happened with the Apple Watch. You hit the nail on the head with your comment about the screen size vs the function of the device. The iPad is still basically a very large tablet now. The apps are limited by what is available in the App Store. The iPad is not a laptop replacement.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Apple is no longer an innovator. They are not even playing catch-up anymore. They locked themselves into this annual "unveiling" thing with iPhone and their other products, and nothing new is happening. The Apple fanboys are now crowing about their behind-the-times iPhone 6 with it's bigger screen (which is still smaller than the 5 year old Galaxy S3), still does not have NFC or an IR transmitter or expandable memory or a replaceable battery. What happened to:

The iPhone is PERFECTLY sized, and allows for easy one handed operation!
The iPhone is the design everyone copies!
The iPhone has the best display! (this goes for iPads and Macbooks and Mac Air too).

Apple has been way WAY outdone by even the humblest of phones in terms of processors, display resolution, screen sizes, battery life, features, camera, etc. What is a good reason to buy any Apple product other than this?:

Apple-logo.png

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This thread is still valid the iPad Pro is a nice tablet. But for the money they are charging for it, you can get an actual tablet PC running Windows and do actual work on it. Even an Android based large form factor tablet still has the ability to multitask better and so more things out of the box.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If you notice they have essentially abandoned the 12.9 inch form factor because it was a tepid seller. It was when they released a 10 inch version that sales took off. And even still most of its users immediately remove iWork and load on Office for iPad.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If you notice they have essentially abandoned the 12.9 inch form factor because it was a tepid seller. It was when they released a 10 inch version that sales took off. And even still most of its users immediately remove iWork and load on Office for iPad.

They still appear to be the business tablet of choice, but where I work, only Surface Pros are used for that. The Macs are used only in the design and creative departments. The Social media Department uses the Apple "trash cans" (Mac Pro). We use the giant Surface Hubs here too. :) As far as the iPad Pros go, most of them I see are BYOD units.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If you think about it, without Office for iPad they are useless as business devices. With it they can do the types of things the typical business mobile person needs - word processor, spreadsheet, presentation, email, text. They are still unusable for a lot of development scenarios and obvious a lot of custom business software will not run on iOS (even those that can run on OSX).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If you think about it, without Office for iPad they are useless as business devices. With it they can do the types of things the typical business mobile person needs - word processor, spreadsheet, presentation, email, text. They are still unusable for a lot of development scenarios and obvious a lot of custom business software will not run on iOS (even those that can run on OSX).

There is one application, VMware Horizon, which allows the iPad to be used as a VDI interface for Windows, but the user needs to have a VMware ESX host machine and Horizon View installed to even make use of it on VDI clients on iPads and other devices. Just a basic setup like that costs over $10,000. iPads are just outdone by so many other tablet devices. I have come to really love the Surface and also many of the high end Android tablets and tablet PCs.