Anton Yelchin(Star trek's Chekov) passed away

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Is that not the issue ? Customers were complaining that they never knew if the car was in Park or not ...

http://jalopnik.com/did-jeeps-recalled-gear-shifter-contribute-to-the-death-1782255715

The shifter may be "confusing" but it is most certainly not defective. Park is the furthest position forward for that shifter as it is for all automatic shifting levels on every car with an automatic transmission. As tragic as this is, the car and it's shifter are still not at fault.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The shifter in question:

f5cymq66nbcv3wo0dacp.jpg

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Who in there right mind would put the Park position in the center position ? In any other car that would mean neutral . Neutral has been there for ions ffs ... The more tech they put into the cars , the more dangerous they seem to be becoming ...

Well, two things. First, it's "eons". Ions are atoms where electrons are not equal to the number of protons. :icon_lol:

Second, the shifter didn't have "Park" in the center. Jeep implemented a new type of shifter manufactured by a German company that behaves different from regular shifters. Basically, you slide the shifter to the gear you want and then it returns to the center.

So, to put it in park, you nudge the shifter up to the park position then let it go and it returns to the center position.

Bluce Ree

The shifter may be "confusing" but it is most certainly not defective. Park is the furthest position forward for that shifter as it is for all automatic shifting levels on every car with an automatic transmission. As tragic as this is, the car and it's shifter are still not at fault.

It's not the shifter that's at fault per se, it's that Jeep introduced a drastic change in the shifting paradigm. The shifter returns to the center position once you've changed gears.

Bluce Ree

The shifter in question:

View attachment 33039

The shifter returns to that center position in the pic regardless of the gear you're in. That's where the confusion comes in. It's an electronic shifter that lets you shift by nudging up or down, kind of like paddles on the steering wheel. If you don't pay attention, you could easily make a mistake.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The shifter returns to that center position in the pic regardless of the gear you're in. That's where the confusion comes in. It's an electronic shifter that lets you shift by nudging up or down, kind of like paddles on the steering wheel. If you don't pay attention, you could easily make a mistake.

Except for the fact that the gear indicators are lighted, and can be seen lit and unlit in broad daylight. The shifter shown shows the vehicle in Park (it's lit). Confusing, yes.

Bluce Ree

Except for the fact that the gear indicators are lighted, and can be seen lit and unlit in broad daylight. The shifter shown shows the vehicle in Park (it's lit). Confusing, yes.

Yes, agreed. Have you ever turned your car off while it was in gear because you were distracted? You can see your shifter's physical position. How would you tell on that Jeep? :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, agreed. Have you ever turned your car off while it was in gear because you were distracted? You can see your shifter's physical position. How would you tell on that Jeep? :(

Dude, I have left my car in Neutral in Fry's parking lot and had to hear the announcement of a car which rolled into the parking lot path and my license number! I have left it in Neitral in the garage, and did not know until I went to start it and it would not start (it won't start in Neutral). So yeah, I can understand how the accident happened. I am just saying that a lawsuit based on the design or function of that shifter is unfounded.

Bluce Ree

Dude, I have left my car in Neutral in Fry's parking lot and had to hear the announcement of a car which rolled into the parking lot path and my license number! I have left it in Neitral in the garage, and did not know until I went to start it and it would not start (it won't start in Neutral). So yeah, I can understand how the accident happened. I am just saying that a lawsuit based on the design or function of that shifter is unfounded.

If they prove that the design is confusing and not intuitive, it could have merit.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If they prove that the design is confusing and not intuitive, it could have merit.
I wonder if there have been other deaths related to this?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Woh ... You leave your car in neutral ! I just gave my friend shit for not using the handbrake in the Z . I showed her a video of a car that did not use his handbrake ever and when he went to , it was seized and he crashed his car . Use the dam handbrake! in an auto or a standard . Been doing it all my life . It's the same principal I use on my bike . Check the kickstand before you ride forward and in the car , check the handbrake before you leave the car ... 2 simple rules that will save your friggin life ...

;) ;) ;)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan

I can't help but disagree here OM1 . If I put my car in Park which is all the way forward in an automatic vehicle , I know it is in Park . Apparently from what I am reading and seeing the visual of the shift system in a Chrysler , there is physically and visually no way of telling weather it is truly in the Park Position or it is hit and miss . They messed with a system that has been around for donkey's ages , yes bluce , not ions lol . Now with 11,000,000 recalls ! This is a serious problem .
Dude ,,,use your dam handbrake please ... What if your vehicle had injured someone ... Take your car to your fave garage and have them check out your emergency brake system please . I will worry about you now until you tell me it is done and you are applying it each time you park your vehicle ...

;) ;) ;)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
To be honest, I find all automatic shifters confusing, despite their simplicity. I prefer a manual shifter that I can put in 1st and 2nd and 3rd and so on, and in neutral of course. Most importantly the handbrake is separate from the shifter and is a nice sturdy handle that you can pull and you can actually feel the feedback from it so you know the brake is on.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
To be honest, I find all automatic shifters confusing, despite their simplicity. I prefer a manual shifter that I can put in 1st and 2nd and 3rd and so on, and in neutral of course. Most importantly the handbrake is separate from the shifter and is a nice sturdy handle that you can pull and you can actually feel the feedback from it so you know the brake is on.

I am also a fan of simplicity. I do not want fly-by-wire steering, or automatic parking or self-centering shifter levers. What were they thinking? Why is it good to have a shifter handle that self centers after putting it in gear? Can you imagine a self-zeroing stovetop dial?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Indeed I can't see the point in a self-centering gear stick and likewise for an oven dial.