ANOTHER LIFE

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
ANOTHER LIFE

I wouldn't bother even to begin to watch it if I had known even a little of the stupidity in it

lets see, a few things (and i wont get into the science discrepancies which I am sure exist)

--they are on a ship capable of FTL going to the Sirius system, yet, their engine room looks like a 19th century steamworks

--a female chief engineer who doesn't seem to know how babies are made

-- in a future where there is still a space agency based on a military model, they do not wear uniforms. ok, but why was it necessary to have a character tell another "we dont wear uniforms ,cant you recognize anyone without it" or words to that effect, to another member of the same crew

--and alien race, seemingly advanced as they build cities and have AI, yet they don't wear clothes. what is it with bad sci fi and nude aliens?

--oh, yeah, the best-- so much SJW-isms worked in. the ships Dr is transgender (well at least they got a trans actor to play the role)---and so much more!!!

the show has lifted so many themes and other accouterments of so many sci fi shows of the past-- like a ai hologram that can go all over the ship, and other familiar things that make you think the only originality to this is the SJW items and that it was made as a vehicle for a SJW message in a sci fi wrapping

season 2 not yet confirmed, but given NF's penchant for greenlighting just about anything for 2 seasons from the start, who knows what kind of "brilliance" awaits?

https://popculture.com/streaming/2019/07/26/netflix-another-life-doing-terrible-rotten-tomatoes/

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
ANOTHER LIFE

I wouldn't bother even to begin to watch it if I had known even a little of the stupidity in it

lets see, a few things (and i wont get into the science discrepancies which I am sure exist)

--they are on a ship capable of FTL going to the Sirius system, yet, their engine room looks like a 19th century steamworks

--a female chief engineer who doesn't seem to know how babies are made

-- in a future where there is still a space agency based on a military model, they do not wear uniforms. ok, but why was it necessary to have a character tell another "we dont wear uniforms ,cant you recognize anyone without it" or words to that effect, to another member of the same crew

--and alien race, seemingly advanced as they build cities and have AI, yet they don't wear clothes. what is it with bad sci fi and nude aliens?

--oh, yeah, the best-- so much SJW-isms worked in. the ships Dr is transgender (well at least they got a trans actor to play the role)---and so much more!!!

the show has lifted so many themes and other accouterments of so many sci fi shows of the past-- like a ai hologram that can go all over the ship, and other familiar things that make you think the only originality to this is the SJW items and that it was made had a vehicle for a SJW message in a sci fi wrapping

season 2 not yet confirmed, but given NF's penchant for greenlighting just about anything for 2 seasons from the start, who knows what kind of "brilliance" awaits?

https://popculture.com/streaming/2019/07/26/netflix-another-life-doing-terrible-rotten-tomatoes/

This is post-intellectual "sigh-fi" for ya. :disturbed: Steampunk looks cooler than glowing plasma, it seems. Never mind that you could never get a warp drive from moving gears and wheels.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
than glowing plasma,

where there are some plasma like 'lighting bolt' kind of things in there. a guy gets front kicked into one and gets fried

i didn't see gears and wheels, but i did see a lot of pipes and analog gauges

why would a ftl capable ship have analog pressure gauges...dumb and sets on the cheap

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
my,my. there are people over at GW who actually love this show

suckers for low bars, i guess

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am not feeling the lead actress at all.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I am not feeling the lead actress at all.

yeah, and its actually a real shame

she -Katee Sackhoff, is a very good actor. problem is, since BSG she is getting typecasted

she did get away from this for awhile with er timer on LONGMIRE but now she is back in sci fi.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
yeah, and its actually a real shame

she -Katee Sackhoff, is a very good actor. problem is, since BSG she is getting typecasted

she did get away from this for awhile with er timer on LONGMIRE but now she is back in sci fi.

She is too masculine. I thought she was ok for BSG, but I did not really get into NuBSG overall. I still do not understand why it was getting critically acclaimed except for the style it was done in. Shaky cam, bluish filters, not much music, etc. It was a style they were getting acclaimed for, and by non-scifi critics. Anyhoo, she is just a turn off for me in this show.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
She is too masculine. I thought she was ok for BSG, but I did not really get into NuBSG overall. I still do not understand why it was getting critically acclaimed except for the style it was done in. Shaky cam, bluish filters, not much music, etc. It was a style they were getting acclaimed for, and by non-scifi critics. Anyhoo, she is just a turn off for me in this show.

yes, she is a 'square frame' kind of woman, but i dont rate her ability as a woman but as an actor

watch an ep or two from LONGMIRE and you will see a different actress

she should get out of sci fi, she is defi type cast as the 'rebel' smart ass type

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
wow netflix, you really went and made everyone pissed :(

OMFG. A bunch of millennials on a spaceship, wearing street clothes and women wearing makeup and busty tops? Why does this show remind me SO STRONGLY of Stargate Universe? It panders. Oh well, I canceled Netflix after yet the third free trial they have begged me to try. There is nothing on there I care about.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Even the millennials don't like this show. They say it is too full of drama (of course), and that the "science" in the show is laughable.

https://meaww.com/netflix-another-l...elodramatic-review-katee-sackhoff-selma-blair

Excerpt:

“The plot is filled with so much unnecessary drama I can’t even comprehend it,” said Reddit user u/Kultteri. “I did still make it through the season but I skipped about 2/5 of it. The last 4 or 3 episodes were surprisingly good as they did something for the plot as a whole and gave light to what actually is going on. There [are] a few interesting unpredictable twists to the plot which did somewhat save the series for me but all in all the plot was predictable but not bad. And for the love of satan if there will be a second season DO NOT fill it with that crazy, stupid, unrealistic sh*t you try to sell us as drama. It did nothing for the plot but just scares everyone away.”

“All in all the series was not good thanks to it being too busy handing us B-class movie drama. If this season had been 6 episodes long I know I would’ve actually liked it,” the post added. “If you are planning on watching this don’t be afraid to skip to the latter half of the season. You won’t miss anything important but all the anger-inducing sh*t.”

Not surprised. I would love to be a fly on the wall at Netflix and the studios producing this dumb shit. I work in the Industry myself, and what I see is HR departments specifically seeking out millennial writers and producer assistants. These young people are fresh out of their woke safe spaces colleges, and they are deep into their feelings and other emotions, and that is translating into drama heavy shows with superficial messages and paper thin character development. Characters and science don't matter as much as feel feels. This can't last. The audiences will flee, and these HR departments are going to REALLY wake up because the corporate overlords of these studios and corporations are going to see that the strategy is not working.

It's like they are fishing for a way to exploit the millennial generation because none of the "formulas" are working. There is nothing from the early 1990s that can be used for nostalgia, because those shows were nostalgia shows for the Boomer generation. But they had Xena, ER, Friends, Saved By The Bell, and also The Next Generation and Stargate SG-1 so go figure.

Why don't the studios see the value of SUBSTANCE in shows these days? I don't mean political positions or confused identity issues, but actual science and individual character development vs scenario development. The only one of this type of writing that I have liked is Bird Box. It had no science, lots of drama and action, and only really developed three characters. It was artistic fluff, but still very entertaining and engaging.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
SO STRONGLY of Stargate Universe?

no, SGU had a few redeeming qualities, like Dr Rush. this has none-- ZERO

although bad, SGU was at least watchable, trying to watch this show is like having your hair removed with tweezers