Amazon Buys MGM, will a STARGATE series be on Prime then?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Announced today, Amazon has bought MGM and all its owns

Given Bezo's passion for SCIFI and money, will we see any new SG show fast tracked now?

Also, MGM also produces other popular shows like HANDMAIDS TALE and FARGO, Bezos and crew could be eyeing up those shows for a move to Prime as well

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Who knows? In the right hands SG could be good but my fear is we get SG-Woke.

As to The Handmaid's Tale, it is utter trash.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Announced today, Amazon has bought MGM and all its owns

Given Bezo's passion for SCIFI and money, will we see any new SG show fast tracked now?

Also, MGM also produces other popular shows like HANDMAIDS TALE and FARGO, Bezos and crew could be eyeing up those shows for a move to Prime as well

Its way way to early too start speculating about whether or not things will be on Prime. From what I am hearing in the "back alleys", Amazon is considering spinning off another tier of Prime, perhaps calling it something else, or adding tiers to the existing Prime. The whole reason for the acquisition was to acquire not just the library, but also the film-making infrastructure owned by MGM. There are smaller companies owned by MGM that add value to the 8 billion dollar deal. They also get Lionsgate, Epix (a streaming service), and the MGM studios in Beverly Hills. Lots more stuff too, including existing licensing deals.

Last edited:

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I am all for it when a new streaming service is created or an existing one gets better.
I have been quite happy with most of them, but Peacock and Prime ( included ) have been lacking so I wonder how these 2 big merger between Amazon & MGM and Discovery & Warner Media will affect these platforms.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I don't know how I didn't see this thread existed already when I posted on the random banter thread.

By the way @Overmind One, I'm missing the old "like" options from before it got changed.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So Lord Ba'al, will you be playing yourself in the new Stargate?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't know how I didn't see this thread existed already when I posted on the random banter thread.

By the way @Overmind One, I'm missing the old "like" options from before it got changed.
Thanks man, I am working on restoring that, but they have not made one for this new version of Xenforo yet. I am watching the community threads at the Xenforo forums for a new version (Post Ratings).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I am trying to picture Stargate from Amazon. Aside from the concern over them making it woke the big thing will be what kind of backstory they use. One thing I ultimately liked about the SG-1, SGA universe was its internal consistency. We had the four really ancient races with the Tau'ri maybe becoming the fifth. And the Ancients having seeded two galaxies with their descendants - a REALLY clever way to have most worlds be inhabited with humans without it feeling silly.

So I do wonder what sort of backstory they will create? I hope they show the kind of forethought I was talking about and devise one sufficiently open ended that the universe actually has mysteries to explore.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hi Atlantis! Whassup?

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Uncharacteristically, I actually prefer to stay out of the spotlight. I usually send a clone.

There should be a Lord Ba'al clone in every sci-fi show and movie. Even if it is just an extra. That would be cool.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
So, they are letting a stupid dumb AI write the script for the new Stargate reunion what happened to human creative writing? Talk about laziness to let an AI do all of the work.

View: https://twitter.com/JewelStaite/status/1443298644619186176