6 Years after "Cutting The Cord" from cable and satellite. (opinion)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Nothing wrong with that. :)

I see huge changes too. They are just not the changes you and GateFan76 seem to be envisioning. Any scenario which has the conservatives somehow gaining control of the government and implementing draconian laws is pure fantasy to me. Like a dragon coming to life or something. :) Social conservatism American style (right wing evangelical Christian) is past the point of no return. Those types are dying off. There is no growth in right wing social conservatism. The numbers are dwindling, as is the demographic it is rooted in. Better "what ifs" would be the possibility of a global pandemic, or the collapse of the US dollar. I have a hard time envisioning a scenario where the FDIC would fail. Everything would have to have collapsed for that to happen. For pot to suddenly become criminalized, more than half the population of the US would have to die off. :)

Agreed! But for me, the sort of possibilities presented have to be plausible. The reason I hated Red Dawn was because they had North Korea taking over the United States (with Russia's help or not). Using a stargate to travel BILLIONS of light years, and communications stones to swap consciousness in real time just goes beyond my parameters of suspension of belief. :)

Yes, that is how they see us. :(

If they simply made the channels a la carte, that would be a HUGE improvement.

Yes-but all I am saying in the end (and I think gf is too) is that BEWARE of that vicious cycle of things-that harbinger of radical change that sometimes swings left or right depending on the "fickle-cality" of our fellow voters; corporate players (what future law changes will make them the most money?-privatizing weed by the feds, so that say-the tobacco companies can only make and distribute it, is a definite possibility (not probability) when you look at the money they would make); or the occasional "whack a doodle" nation or rogue international element out there that our nation "knee jerk" reacts to (PATRIOT act for example)

To beware--be a ware--of these considerations is, IMO, a healthy exercise to keep ones self marginally ready--I am NOT TALKING Prepper madness here-just pragmatic preparation (like having a quick "dump" plan for one's MJ plants)

I think that if someone like me or GF back in about 1890 or so said something like "You all enjoy that alcohol, cocaine drink and heroin headache medicine now cause someday the federal government is going to take it all away" then we would have been called 'sky is falling' types big time. But it all happened. Again due to the "fickle-cality" of the voting public and the nature of our Republic. No one would have seen either the Woman's temperance movement or the KKK making either a resurgence or big gains politically at that time either-but they did and they were major players in getting prohibition started (and enforced)

Like I said-"what ifs?" are,for me, the heart of good fiction, of any kind. They tend to engage the brain as well, far more then "reality" or comedy, etc

YES!!!!A LA CARTE would be awesome! I would only have about 20 channels on then. I seriously doubt if any company would ever see a favorable profit in doing that though-not without a huge price jack.

And you know (I saw where you wrote it) that the new BS RED DAWN was supposed to have had the Chinese as the uber bad guys, but "sensibilities" had it changed (the actors were like 3 yrs older by the time the movie came out after all shooting and PR/PC changes were made.) Though given our current state of readiness (the TPTB's set it in "today") not even the Chinese could pull off such an event.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Hulu+ is 10.00/month and you still get commercials. I think it sucks and do not have it.

With new smart TVs now supporting Intel's WiDI, watching regular Hulu on your TV from your laptop wirelessly is now a reality and flies right in the face of those shitheads who want to block non-authorized device classes just to make an extra buck. Linux-based WiDI devices with remotes are becoming a reality and appear as PCs, which gets right through the device content blocking technology services like Hulu+ use.

The pros of Hulu+ is that new episodes of shows are immediately available for viewing and nearly all shows on Hulu+ have their entire run available on-demand. On the other hand, some shows are not authorized for Hulu+ and are only available on regular Hulu because the content providers do not wish for their content to be streamed to a TV. Suits, for example, is available on the regular free Hulu but not on Hulu+.

I have no idea why the smart TV manufacturers even bother playing nice with content providers. Masking the device type from Hulu or similar providers is child's play. It takes nothing more than changing a browser string to make Hulu think you're streaming to a desktop.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
If you get yourself a VPN like http://hidemyass.com, you can appear to be in the US and watch just about any show currently on TV on Hulu for free on a PC or notebook or for $7 through a smart device. Add Netflix and you'll even forget about the free-to-air TV. The VPN service lets you connect through nodes around the world. I sometimes connect to the UK to watch some shows before they get here.

My Avast Anti Virus program does that . It's called Secure Line and it places my IP address somewhere else . In this case it says Newyork lol !!!,,, .

Bluce Ree

My Avast Anti Virus program does that . It's called Secure Line and it places my IP address somewhere else . In this case it says Newyork lol !!!,,, .

Is it a proxy or VPN? A proxy will be detected by geolocation enabled sites like Hulu.

Try browsing over to Hulu and see if it will let you watch any shows.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If you get yourself a VPN like http://hidemyass.com, you can appear to be in the US and watch just about any show currently on TV on Hulu for free on a PC or notebook or for $7 through a smart device. Add Netflix and you'll even forget about the free-to-air TV. The VPN service lets you connect through nodes around the world. I sometimes connect to the UK to watch some shows before they get here.

I just got this service, and I have to say it is a lot easier to use and of much better quality than what I was getting from the other service. :) Over 500 servers globally, in every first world country and less than $80.00 for a whole year? That to me is a better deal than Amazon Prime which costs about the same (and I wont be renewing). I can watch BBC and all Canadian broadcasts and so much more. And all of this is adding to the ON DEMAND element of the entertainment experience. With few (if any) commercials, and the ability to watch whatever you want when you want without restriction, it easily is superior to anything the cable companies can hope to offer in the near future.

Did I mention that much of all this is in full 1080p HD? :joy:

Bluce Ree

I just got this service, and I have to say it is a lot easier to use and of much better quality than what I was getting from the other service. :) Over 500 servers globally, in every first world country and less than $80.00 for a whole year? That to me is a better deal than Amazon Prime which costs about the same (and I wont be renewing). I can watch BBC and all Canadian broadcasts and so much more. And all of this is adding to the ON DEMAND element of the entertainment experience. With few (if any) commercials, and the ability to watch whatever you want when you want without restriction, it easily is superior to anything the cable companies can hope to offer in the near future.

Did I mention that much of all this is in full 1080p HD? :joy:

See? You should listen to your Italian brother sometimes. He can come up with some good shit on occasion. :D

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Is it a proxy or VPN? A proxy will be detected by geolocation enabled sites like Hulu.

Try browsing over to Hulu and see if it will let you watch any shows.

Yup . It let me watch Hulu shows . Is that a good thing or a bad thing as I don't understand what you mean by proxy or VPN ? yes I'm a nube :)

Bluce Ree

Yup . It let me watch Hulu shows . Is that a good thing or a bad thing as I don't understand what you mean by proxy or VPN ? yes I'm a nube :)

A proxy is like a middle-man that transfers your web requests on your behalf but lets the other side know that it is proxying for someone else. You usually cannot stream media through a proxy and Flash-based media streams (i.e. Hulu) will ignore your proxy setting and just go directly.

A VPN (virtual private network) is a virtual circuit (or a tunnel) that connects you to the Internet through the remote network. Think of it as a long network cable between your PC and the remote VPN server. The requests sent out the other side of the VPN are yours and it behaves exactly as if you were connected directly to that side of the network.

The most important difference between a proxy and a VPN is that a proxy only works with programs you configure to send requests through it, in this case your browser when you browse the web, whereas a VPN basically hijacks your entire PC and it becomes your network connection. Anything and everything going through the Internet, whether it be your browser or a Flash video or some other program that communicates across the net will only go through the VPN.

It seems like you have a VPN with Avast, which is very cool. The fact you can watch any TV show on Hulu is proof of that. :)

All good!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Are there any free VPN's? :daniel_new004:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Well, Ill be damned! Youre right...it was in there all the time and I did not know about it? I am using a 3 day trial of it and so far I can do everything I can do with HideMyAss...but with Avast, it is only $59.00/yr.

I connected with London and can watch BBC.

Bluce Ree

Is there one you prefer over the other?

Hotspotshield was one of the first free VPN services I tried. I was happy with it. They used to allow high bandwidth streaming content until people began abusing it. Never tried the other one.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
A proxy is like a middle-man that transfers your web requests on your behalf but lets the other side know that it is proxying for someone else. You usually cannot stream media through a proxy and Flash-based media streams (i.e. Hulu) will ignore your proxy setting and just go directly.

A VPN (virtual private network) is a virtual circuit (or a tunnel) that connects you to the Internet through the remote network. Think of it as a long network cable between your PC and the remote VPN server. The requests sent out the other side of the VPN are yours and it behaves exactly as if you were connected directly to that side of the network.

The most important difference between a proxy and a VPN is that a proxy only works with programs you configure to send requests through it, in this case your browser when you browse the web, whereas a VPN basically hijacks your entire PC and it becomes your network connection. Anything and everything going through the Internet, whether it be your browser or a Flash video or some other program that communicates across the net will only go through the VPN.

It seems like you have a VPN with Avast, which is very cool. The fact you can watch any TV show on Hulu is proof of that. :)

All good!

RIGHT ON !!! WooHoooooooooooooooo !!!

Thanks :) I read some of that stuff online but was not sure what they meant by middle man ,,, Now I know !!!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Okay, I dumped Hide My Ass for Avast Secure Line and I have to say...IT ROCKS! I think very vew people realize it is even available, and at only 59.00 for the whole year, it is AWESOME. Hide My Ass goes for $78 and change ($80.00): http://www.hidemyass.com/vpn/ Whilst Avast Secure Line is only $59.00 a year. It has far fewer servers available, but there is a UK and Canada server amongst others. That gives me BBC and Showcase CA which makes it completely worth it. Streaming in HD has no lag and the connection to the VPN is easy and quick.

:beckett_thanks:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Okay, I dumped Hide My Ass for Avast Secure Line and I have to say...IT ROCKS! I think very vew people realize it is even available, and at only 59.00 for the whole year, it is AWESOME. Hide My Ass goes for $78 and change ($80.00): http://www.hidemyass.com/vpn/ Whilst Avast Secure Line is only $59.00 a year. It has far fewer servers available, but there is a UK and Canada server amongst others. That gives me BBC and Showcase CA which makes it completely worth it. Streaming in HD has no lag and the connection to the VPN is easy and quick.

:beckett_thanks:

Good to hear OM1 . :) :) :)

So my wife is a huge fan of Brit Telly and so am I .
Can you give me a run through on how you are watching British shows please . ?
I'm not quite sure how to do that .

:) :) :)