3D printing poised to take over manufacturing

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
not-sure-if-too-easy-or-way-too-off-topic.jpg

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
gives a whole new meaning to a pre-fab house.... now we just need a "mister fusion" to power it!

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
How is this possible? I have photos larger than that! How can there be information for walls, windows, doors and such, as well as the control parameters for the printer and it all be under 10mb? Do you know anywhere I can review one of these files? I am seriously thinking of investing in one of these printers! Even if just to make cool stuff (the printers on Amazon cant make huge stuff). :)

If the file contains nothing but straight blueprints, it shouldn't be bloated because you're storing design parameters like dimensions, geometry, etc. Aside from lazy design maintenance, CAD files can also get bloated when you start adding photos, like designing the interior of a home (couches, beds, decor, etc).

I found a few sites hosting complete house plans yesterday. They're pretty easy to find, actually. I'll look for them again.

You'll have a hell of a hard time trying to find the Liberator plans, though. Every site hosting the file has a big Homeland Security seal across it saying they requested it be taken down.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If the file contains nothing but straight blueprints, it shouldn't be bloated because you're storing design parameters like dimensions, geometry, etc. Aside from lazy design maintenance, CAD files can also get bloated when you start adding photos, like designing the interior of a home (couches, beds, decor, etc).

I found a few sites hosting complete house plans yesterday. They're pretty easy to find, actually. I'll look for them again.

You'll have a hell of a hard time trying to find the Liberator plans, though. Every site hosting the file has a big Homeland Security seal across it saying they requested it be taken down.

Its available "elsewhere". It can be gotten if somebody wants it. :) I dont want that file though...Ill just buy a real gun when the time comes.

Check this out: http://cubify.com/cube/

Under $2000!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Dumb question time --

Wouldn't the data be stored on a cloud where you'd just download the schematics as needed instead of having to have all the data for an entire house at one time? Quite frankly, you wouldn't be "printing" an entire house in one go, you'd be doing it (probably) one wall at a time and one door at a time and one window at a time, etc. Then the pieces would be assembled to make a whole unit.

So wouldn't this take care of the problem of data storage and also printer capacity?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Dumb question time --

Wouldn't the data be stored on a cloud where you'd just download the schematics as needed instead of having to have all the data for an entire house at one time? Quite frankly, you wouldn't be "printing" an entire house in one go, you'd be doing it (probably) one wall at a time and one door at a time and one window at a time, etc. Then the pieces would be assembled to make a whole unit.

So wouldn't this take care of the problem of data storage and also printer capacity?

The 3D printer building technology builds an entire structure in one go. It builds everything from the bottom up one layer at a time. The entire blueprint wouldn't take that much storage space and would need to be available in whole on the device since it is building the structure in one sweep.
--- merged: May 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM ---
Its available "elsewhere". It can be gotten if somebody wants it. :) I dont want that file though...Ill just buy a real gun when the time comes.

Check this out: http://cubify.com/cube/

Under $2000!

I suppose if I dig a little harder I'll find it. The file itself was more for curiosity than to build an actual gun. I'm not interested in printing shitty plastic guns. :icon_lol:

The Cubify looks cute. Here's a short vid on it:

--- merged: May 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM ---
I had posted this presentation before. Here's a video explaining how a house can be built in 20 hours with a 3D printer:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The 3D printer building technology builds an entire structure in one go. It builds everything from the bottom up one layer at a time. The entire blueprint wouldn't take that much storage space and would need to be available in whole on the device since it is building the structure in one sweep.
--- merged: May 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM ---

I suppose if I dig a little harder I'll find it. The file itself was more for curiosity than to build an actual gun. I'm not interested in printing shitty plastic guns. :icon_lol:

The Cubify looks cute. Here's a short vid on it:

--- merged: May 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM ---
I had posted this presentation before. Here's a video explaining how a house can be built in 20 hours with a 3D printer:

In the long term, this technology will destroy much of the contracting industry (which is a good thing). Building standard will be much more uniform and trustworthy, and overruns will be greatly reduced. However, since those who do contracting work are generally lacking in formal education, they may not find work unless they can learn the tech behind these printers and sell assembly services. I also see codes changing to accomodate the materials used in the printers. I sure would love to see the elimination of wood as a primary building material. No more termites!