2 brand new documentaries that must be watched!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
documentaries=geek love here. :D love to watch them on many topics. :)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Ah, yes...my favorite dogsbody...

"Sod Off Baldrick".

Just stay away from his underwear. It apparently caused the dinosaurs to become extinct.

Tropicana

Council Member
First off - History Channel UK, they have a new documentary called over here, "Tony Robinson Down Under", meanwhile in Australia, it was called, "Tony Robinson Explores Australia". He's a presenter of sorts and featured in some shows like "Blackadder", etc.

tony-robinson-explores-australia.jpg

In fact, I think this show was already shown in Australia. Not sure, anyway, it's being shown here and sometime in Canada too.

Promo that was shown in Australia -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ1TS9gwMiI

Tony Robinson explores Australia's origins and the aspects that helped shaped Australia to become the country they have become today.

Random fact: Cape York in Australia was first named as New Zealand by Willem Jansz of Amsterdam during his trip to New Guinea in 1606. Ironically, the name didn't stick and a set of mountainous islands eastwards were instead called, New Zealand. New Holland was the name but was not claimed by anyone.

Brits only set sail to Australia so the Royal Astronomical Society can view Venus transect the Sun.

Sample episode guide-

1×01 — Race To The End Of The World – In this episode Tony examines the beginnings of white settlement in Australia. Why did it remained undiscovered by European maritime nations for so many hundreds of years? And how was Captain Cook able to claim it for Britain in 1770?

1×02 — Against The Odds – The colony started with a bang, but from that point it was a bitter struggle for survival. With the assistance of Tim Flannery, Tony recreates the orgy that was said to have taken place when women were brought ashore many days after the men first landed.

1×03 — The People Are Revolting – Tony visits Port Arthur, and subjects himself to solitary confinement to find out first hand what it was like for the wretched souls who were incarcerated there. He also recounts the story of Australia’s daftest escapologist, a convict who tried to escape disguised as a kangaroo.

Second show is from the BBC. Called, "Planet of the Ape Men", it's a dramatic documentary about the many human species that occupied the planet such as the original dominant species on this planet - Homo Erectus, before they were wiped out (suggested due to the supervolcano eruption of Toba back 73,000 years ago and the modern - Homo Sapiens took over.

Next week, they are going to talk about when we interacted with Homo Neanderthalensis.

This summer sure is the summer of documentaries. :D

B

Backstep

First off - History Channel UK, they have a new documentary called over here, "Tony Robinson Down Under", meanwhile in Australia, it was called, "Tony Robinson Explores Australia". He's a presenter of sorts and featured in some shows like "Blackadder", etc.

In fact, I think this show was already shown in Australia. Not sure, anyway, he's being shown here and Canada too.

Promo that was shown in Australia -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ1TS9gwMiI

Tony Robinson explores Australia's origins and the aspects that helped shaped Australia to become the country they have become today.

Random fact: Cape York in Australia was first named as New Zealand by Willem Jansz of Amsterdam during his trip to New Guinea in 1606. Ironically, the name didn't stick and a set of mountainous islands eastwards were instead called, New Zealand. New Holland was the name but was not claimed by anyone.

Brits only set sail to Australia so the Royal Astronomical Society can view Venus transect the Sun.

Sample episode guide-

1×01 — Race To The End Of The World – In this episode Tony examines the beginnings of white settlement in Australia. Why did it remained undiscovered by European maritime nations for so many hundreds of years? And how was Captain Cook able to claim it for Britain in 1770?

1×02 — Against The Odds – The colony started with a bang, but from that point it was a bitter struggle for survival. With the assistance of Tim Flannery, Tony recreates the orgy that was said to have taken place when women were brought ashore many days after the men first landed.

1×03 — The People Are Revolting – Tony visits Port Arthur, and subjects himself to solitary confinement to find out first hand what it was like for the wretched souls who were incarcerated there. He also recounts the story of Australia’s daftest escapologist, a convict who tried to escape disguised as a kangaroo.

Second show is from the BBC. Called, "Planet of the Ape Men", it's a dramatic documentary about the many human species that occupied the planet such as the original dominant species on this planet - Homo Erectus, before they were wiped out (suggested due to the supervolcano eruption of Toba back 73,000 years ago and the modern - Homo Sapiens took over.

Next week, they are going to talk about when we interacted with Homo Neanderthalensis.

This summer sure is the summer of documentaries. :D

I will check to see if the History channels in the US will have this two Docs listed, they look to be (to me) must see TV :) The Planet of the Ape Men interests me the most, the evolution of the human species, the how and why we became what we are today.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
mod HEEEELP please!

okay how did my post and illiterati's end up ABOVE the OP by tropi? I'm confused! :confused:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
okay how did my post and illiterati's end up ABOVE the OP by tropi? I'm confused! :confused:
No clue.

I saw that myself, and looked around to see if Rod Serling had had a hand in the shenanigans, but no sign of him.

Tropicana

Council Member
It certainly is very odd.

When I posted this topic, I had new fields like author and access to the time stamp. Bizarre.