128GB iPad Announced

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Well, it's official. Apple has announced the release of a 128GB iPad that will be available for sale starting February 5, 2013.

It's the same iPad as is currently available, except for storage size. The LTE model is 929 bucks and the WiFi only version is between 700 and 800 bucks (I'm too damned lazy to clarify the latter price).

As the Microsoft Surface Pro comes out on February 9th, this is an obvious ploy to empty the bank accounts of potential Surface Pro customers before they can buy one.

Tough titties, Apple. I'm not buying any more iPads. I'm waiting for my Surface Pro. I'll certainly be able to do more with the damned thing than I can with the iPad.

(and if you're wondering about getting interwebs access with the Pro, I can take my current iPad along as a personal hotspot, which I already do for my other devices)

So there.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
*sigh*

Add $20 in memory chips, up the retail price by 100%. Why it took them this long, I can only guess. Probably building up the momentum and waiting for a point in time when their pad needs a revival of sorts.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
*sigh*

Add $20 in memory chips, up the retail price by 100%. Why it took them this long, I can only guess. Probably building up the momentum and waiting for a point in time when their pad needs a revival of sorts.
I'm sure they've only done it because of the 128GB Surface Pro. If that wasn't coming out, I think we'd still be looking at 64GB iPads.

I made the customer service gal at the local Microsoft Store belly-laugh with the epithet I used to describe Apple's actions. I'd share it here, but then I'd have to move this post to Flame Hell. LOL

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Seeing as Apple hasn't had the best start to the year this is indeed funny stuff. The combination of the Maps fiasco, users not warming to Mountain Lion or iOS6 and the iPhone 5 not selling like gangbusters (for the first time an iPhone release did not push Apple to the top of the Smartphone sales heap - it was still outsold by the Samsung S3).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, it's official. Apple has announced the release of a 128GB iPad that will be available for sale starting February 5, 2013.

It's the same iPad as is currently available, except for storage size. The LTE model is 929 bucks and the WiFi only version is between 700 and 800 bucks (I'm too damned lazy to clarify the latter price).

As the Microsoft Surface Pro comes out on February 9th, this is an obvious ploy to empty the bank accounts of potential Surface Pro customers before they can buy one.

Tough titties, Apple. I'm not buying any more iPads. I'm waiting for my Surface Pro. I'll certainly be able to do more with the damned thing than I can with the iPad.

(and if you're wondering about getting interwebs access with the Pro, I can take my current iPad along as a personal hotspot, which I already do for my other devices)

So there.

LMAO! They have done it because of the Surface Pro :smiley-laughing024:. The Surface Pro is the real tablet which actually is a REAL laptop replacement with the cool dock they have. For me its the only Windows 8 implementation that works completely and you can do actual work on it and run your full Windows programs. Apple is no longer going to be innovating, they will be playing catch up and "winning" by taking other competitors to court over silly patents. I am surprised they did not try to patent the round button. :facepalm:.

*sigh*

I give the iPad 3 years tops and then it will be left behind. Apple stock is dropping fast.

I'm sure they've only done it because of the 128GB Surface Pro. If that wasn't coming out, I think we'd still be looking at 64GB iPads.

I made the customer service gal at the local Microsoft Store belly-laugh with the epithet I used to describe Apple's actions. I'd share it here, but then I'd have to move this post to Flame Hell. LOL

I think Apple is basically done. They will use their current stable of products, tweak and stretch and pack them but there will be nothing really fresh and new from Apple, and the inferior hardware and software will become stale in comparison to the advances made by Android and even Microsoft. Already, Android is arguably better than iOS on many levels.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
My latest giggle in regard to Apple:

It appears that the next iPad will be the same height, but will be slight narrower and a tad thinner.

As I said to the nice lady at the Microsoft Store, why would I want to live in Apple's "walled garden" (which was previously a description for AOL's original format) where everything that I can use has to be vetted first by Apple, when I can use the programs I want with the Surface Pro?

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
over inflated cough** garbage cough**...*

Indeed. Geeks are finding that essentially Windows 8 has all of the slidey/Metro/touch stuff TACKED ON to Windows 7 with minimal communication between the two. You have separate settings screens/functions for the Metro half, and different ones for the "Desktop" mode. The file systems are only partially shared. :facepalm:. Its huge for an OS. The biggest one out there. Although it is possible to max out a RHL installation to well past 32GB

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
i dread re-installs i really do as the amount of SHITE i have to manually remove astounds me it really does with windows..
--- merged: Jan 29, 2013 at 10:13 PM ---
tho i do find mac equally annoying and like its baby-ing me by not giving me easy acces to shit i might want to change or god forbid remove.. like its holding my hand all the time going "oh no you dont need to go in there so i wont alow you." Insert siri voice*

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Yes, the 128GB has 83GB free.

I'm not worried about that, though. I can always stick an SDXC card in the thing and give myself up to another 128GB -- and then if I want more storage, I could always stick a thumbdrive in it...or an external hard drive, as it's got a USB connection, too.

iPad doesn't give one the option to boost your storage space.

I've always got stuff like that lying around the house, believe it or not.

Bluce Ree

Indeed. Geeks are finding that essentially Windows 8 has all of the slidey/Metro/touch stuff TACKED ON to Windows 7 with minimal communication between the two. You have separate settings screens/functions for the Metro half, and different ones for the "Desktop" mode. The file systems are only partially shared. :facepalm:. Its huge for an OS. The biggest one out there. Although it is possible to max out a RHL installation to well past 32GB

So it's a kludge. Microsoft is taking itself down by way of a hodge-podge. Is Balmer all there or is he suffering some sort of mental breakdown?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, the 128GB has 83GB free.

I'm not worried about that, though. I can always stick an SDXC card in the thing and give myself up to another 128GB -- and then if I want more storage, I could always stick a thumbdrive in it...or an external hard drive, as it's got a USB connection, too.

iPad doesn't give one the option to boost your storage space.

I've always got stuff like that lying around the house, believe it or not.

This. Its what makes buying an Apple device, and then having to decide right when you buy it what size you want the permanently finite storage to be. :facepalm:. If you want more storage on your iPad, you buy a new one? Even Android phones and tablets have SDXC card expansion, and my Acer Iconia A500 which is now two years old has a full sized USB slot where I can attach a whole hard drive to it. The Surface Pro is my next tablet. But I want to see if the price will drop below $800.00. :)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
So it's a kludge. Microsoft is taking itself down by way of a hodge-podge. Is Balmer all there or is he suffering some sort of mental breakdown?
There was an article about Ballmer in Businessweek...

http://www.businessweek.com/article...-does-not-fear-dropbox-or-an-office-less-ipad

(Currently laughing at my kid's dog (a Chihuahua) who is apparently able to see her laptop's cursor (the arrow one in Windows and/or the flashing bar one for DOS), and is fascinated with the thing. I've been watching her follow the thing with her eyes. I wasn't aware that Chi's were sighthounds. You should have seen her earlier while I was playing WoW)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Ballmer fired Sinofsky, but he should have fired himself. Microsoft needs some fresh brainpower. Windows 8 is a good idea but the implementation sucks unless its on a tablet with Pro. RT is too much of a thin Windows system for real work. However, people who are Google Docs heavy will find it very usable. With Dropbox and Google Drive, you have considerable cloud storage space to compensate for the lack of space on the tablet, and you get Google's office programs without having to install them.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
This. Its what makes buying an Apple device, and then having to decide right when you buy it what size you want the permanently finite storage to be. :facepalm:. If you want more storage on your iPad, you buy a new one? Even Android phones and tablets have SDXC card expansion, and my Acer Iconia A500 which is now two years old has a full sized USB slot where I can attach a whole hard drive to it. The Surface Pro is my next tablet. But I want to see if the price will drop below $800.00. :)
After the Pro comes out, let me know when you want to meet for lunch and I'll let you fondle it (as long as you leave a $20 on the bureau once you're done <grin>)
--- merged: Jan 29, 2013 at 10:26 PM ---
Ballmer fired Sinofsky, but he should have fired himself. Microsoft needs some fresh brainpower. Windows 8 is a good idea but the implementation sucks unless its on a tablet with Pro. RT is too much of a thin Windows system for real work. However, people who are Google Docs heavy will find it very usable. With Dropbox and Google Drive, you have considerable cloud storage space to compensate for the lack of space on the tablet, and you get Google's office programs without having to install them.
I'm looking forward to being able to use Dropbox on the Pro, as the app for it really sucks on the RT. You can see what you've already got installed, but you can't upload to it via the app. You have to do it via the browser. That's a royal pain in the ass when you're writing across devices.

As for Google, I generally avoid using their crap. Seriously.

It's going to be funny. The RT will likely end up in one of my desk drawers, once the new kid's in town.

Bluce Ree

I don't understand how Bill Gates is just sitting idly by allowing this to happen. He's still Microsoft's biggest shareholder.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I don't understand how Bill Gates is just sitting idly by allowing this to happen. He's still Microsoft's biggest shareholder.
I think he's trying to stay away from it and pretty much focus on his and his wife's foundation, instead. He seems a "nicer" person now (fewer jackass moments) now that he's not elbows deep in the business end of things.

Bluce Ree

I think he's trying to stay away from it and pretty much focus on his and his wife's foundation, instead. He seems a "nicer" person now (fewer jackass moments) now that he's not elbows deep in the business end of things.

I agree. He's shaken off that asshole image for which he was known and seems more pleasant.