WHEEL OF TIME

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
for the TV show only, I have not read the books, nor do I care to

I watched S1 as it came out mainly because there was nothing else on that I was interested in. This show seemed 'entertaining' at the least.

Now S2 is out.

Not impressed, its 'watchable' and a bit entertaining, but when you stack it against its premise (and man, did I make a mistake of reading a description of the books!), it is kind of pathetic

anyone watching it? anyone read the books?

so roughly-- the SHANNARA CHRONICLES on tv, imo, are far better expenditure of time than this show, based on both stories premise- being set in our future

to me, without that angle, set 4000 years in our future for WHEEL and whatever it was for SHANNARA ,they are both just knock offs of LOTRs story wise. TV? Knock off of GAME OF THRONES and a bad one

why it is not true to its premise?

so basic back story, which the show does not really do a good job of

the world as we know it,our events, our timeline is all the same. somehow, maybe 1000 yrs from now, scientists (more like witches) discovered The Source. they made a machine to 'bore into' it hoping to release expected benefits (?) and instead opened a small conduit for Shaytain (i mean come on satan?) to be able to affect our world. causing chaos, wars, destruction and planetary 'breaking' where our entire geography is changed

the good part? humans have found out how to channel this Source for both good and bad. seems like this is a controlled use of the Elements. after the breaking, men are cursed if they can do this, women are not

what i think is missing from this? that could make the show better, less incredulous (of course not forgetting it is fiction fantasy)?

- tell us that these 'discoveries' were from our advancing science. that in the current TV shows setting and the mass ignorance of history and real science, what they call magic and channeling should be explained to us as their misunderstanding of a science based discovery found in our time + 1000 yrs

that the reason, 4000 years later, so many humans can still channel, is because in our near future, science found away to put in our DNA the ability to channel, and this is able to passed on to descendants

science as magic

idk, maybe this is how it is presented in the books?

then, what SHANNARA got "right" (Gag) is that they did include things like plastic waste and other long term hard for nature to reduce man made things, like metals/ cars rusting

there is nothing left behind from our time, or our near future, shown in this show.. this makes it ""unbelievable" (again.. yea,, I know its fantasy) as being in our future. there should be something left behind from us, like all of our plastic; some kind of large construction?

and, they have Ogres (good) and Trollocs (bad) obvious knock offs of every other LOTRs/ dungeons and dragons type story out there

the Show does not explain where they came from. i mean, sometime between us and them, someone had to make them? Book summaries states the author says they are descendants of Human DNA experiments; using the Source, to combine men with different animals

somehow

but if that is how it was envisioned, then SHOW us in a flashback, or tell us in dialogue

ahh, its sad, these networks want to make content but miss these op's to make things really interesting. and they have the time.. each episode is over 1 hour long