Well, Batman Has Been Chosen For the "Man of Steel" Sequel...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, DC and Marvel will just kiss and hug and cross characters :lol:

Look, In both DC and Marvel, neither Thor, nor Superman are the "leaders" of their respective groups, It's Cap, or Batman because those two represent the best of humanity, whereas Supes is just an alien with human values imposed on him, and Thor is, even mythologically, the defender of Midguard, they are the "super big guns" and ALOT of their storylines revolve around incorporating such massive power into a human perspective, They don't teach the "human struggle" so much as they wrestle with their own ability to use their power in a "human" way, to use such massive power, not for themselves, but for ALL.

Why not keep the more RL characters apart from the magical/alien ones, mkay? Keep Batman, Spiderman, Captain America, Iron Man and even Hulk away from Thor, Superman and Buck Rogers. :) Its as though some membrane which used to prevent these odd pairings has been made permeable. The complete fantasy which is Star Wars could never cross into the science based fiction was was Star Trek prior to 2009. But today, this new Trek could easily go to Tatooine and nobody would care and maybe wouldnt even notice. Nobody cares that Superman would view Batman as just as weak and inferior as all humans?

I dont even know what to say about Wonder Woman. Invisible plane? Magic lasso that makes people tell the truth? Sounds to me that Wonder Babe has the Bat outdone as well.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Why not just accept the universe "as is"??

These pairing are not "new", they have been around for 50 odd years, and they have worked well togeather.
You dislike the "magic", and that's fine, but comics speak to the human, NOT the hero for the most part.

As for Supes and Batman.
You have as much clue about these two characters as I have about computer code, NONE.

Superman is Superman *because* he views humans, with no powers, no "super skills" but willing to put their own ass on the line as BETTER than himself. It takes no courage to stand in front of a gun if you *know* you will not be hurt, it takes far more to stand there knowing it could kill you.

Batman does what he does because he feels that he is the only one who can. He has the money, the training and the skills that the rest of Gotham do not, he has a sense of "control" and he uses it to help those who do not, NOT make them his bitch.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Fan trailer that I thought was great, you could really see the potential of Affleck as Wayne and Cranston as Lex.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why not just accept the universe "as is"??

These pairing are not "new", they have been around for 50 odd years, and they have worked well togeather.
You dislike the "magic", and that's fine, but comics speak to the human, NOT the hero for the most part.

The comics are a completely different medium than movies or film or TV. Just like anime is not live action. Things you can do in comics may not translate into a RL drama/film/show. Batman could happen to a real life man, but Superman cannot.

As for Supes and Batman.
You have as much clue about these two characters as I have about computer code, NONE.

BULLSHIT. I grew up with them as you did, and for much longer. :) I was watching Superman on TV in black and white before you were even born, dude. :). But I did not buy Superman comics because I did not like the character as much as Batman and Spiderman and Aquaman and Flame etc. He was too goody goody two shows for my taste. Just because you followed these characters in the comics does not give you any authority over who they are. Batman is an eartnlig and Superman is a magical being from another planet like Thor is. He can fly in space, for chrissakes. :facepalm:

Superman is Superman *because* he views humans, with no powers, no "super skills" but willing to put their own ass on the line as BETTER than himself. It takes no courage to stand in front of a gun if you *know* you will not be hurt, it takes far more to stand there knowing it could kill you
Superman is magic and sparkles and the American Way. Batman is tech, vigilantism and big money. Batman belongs in the same class as Spiderman and Green Hornet, and Superman belongs in the same category as Thor and the other Guardians of the Universe. Im not okay with watching that, any more than I would want to see a pairing of a wizard and a cop or an Orc and a werewolf, or a vampire and an alien.

Batman does what he does because he feels that he is the only one who can. He has the money, the training and the skills that the rest of Gotham do not, he has a sense of "control" and he uses it to help those who do not, NOT make them his bitch.

Batman could be a real man. Superman could not. That was my point. :)

Last edited:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Fan trailer that I thought was great, you could really see the potential of Affleck as Wayne and Cranston as Lex.
Affleck has always had that old movie star appeal & glamour-- he could be a clark gable or a cary grant. I loved him in Pearl Harbor- he looked so damn hot in those WWII uniforms. He carried that whole movie off very well - a definite nod to the old movies.

We finally saw Man of Steel- it was a nice reboot (we will NOT dicuss superman returns- not enough brain bleach in the world! :P) and are looking forward to the next movie.

so OM1 you don't beleive in the possibility of aliens then? :P

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The comics are a completely different medium than movies or film or TV. Just like anime is not live action. Things you can do in comics may not translate into a RL drama/film/show. Batman could happen to a real life man, but Superman cannot.
So what?

BULLSHIT. I grew up with them as you did, and for much longer. :) I was watching Superman on TV in black and white before you were even born, dude. :).
That's like me saying I can still code in BASIC and expect it to have any relavence today.
So what, you saw more of one particular version of superman -before I did- , big deal.
But I did not buy Superman comics because I did not like the character as much as Batman and Spiderman and Aquaman and Flame etc. He was too goody goody two shows for my taste. Just because you followed these characters in the comics does not give you any authority over who they are.
It gives me a greater understanding about the characters, and where they have gone than you, and I daresay Mzzz would have an even greater understanding of them than I.
If the sum of your knowledge of superman is the black and white series, and the movies, and mine is all that, plus Lois and Clark, and Smallville, and comics, and animated series, then YES I can speak with more authority than you over the subject, and the fact that you saw one part of that before I did means exactly squat.
Batman is an eartnlig and Superman is a magical being from another planet like Thor is. He can fly in space, for chrissakes. :facepalm:
So what? they operate on a different power curve. I am not saying Supes is "realistic" from a "could be real" perspective, but that is besides the point. Your point seems to be that you personally don't want to see the more "mystical" elements in comic book movies. Well, you are shit out of luck because they exist in the DC or Marvel universes and have since "before you were born".

Superman is magic and sparkles and the American Way. Batman is tech, vigilantism and big money. Batman belongs in the same class as Spiderman and Green Hornet,
Batman: Trained human to physical perfection and uses his wealth and intelligence in order to solve crimes and deal with criminals
Spiderman: Weedy kid bitten by a radioactive spider and gets "superpowers" based of arachnid characteristics.

These two are not the same, you are far better off comparing Batman to his obvious counterpart in the Marvel universe, Iron Man/Tony Stark.

and Superman belongs in the same category as Thor and the other Guardians of the Universe. Im not okay with watching that, any more than I would want to see a pairing of a wizard and a cop or an Orc and a werewolf, or a vampire and an alien.
That's fine dude, that's what *you happen to like*, and you are free to watch what you want. What you are NOT allowed to do is dictate the reality of the comic book universes because you don't like it.
(Just quietly, I think a vamp and alien show would have potential these days :lol: )

Batman could be a real man. Superman could not. That was my point. :)
So what?
As Rac just said, don't you believe in aliens? Take Supes to Krypton, or in the Phantom Zone, he is just a man, a man that Bats would have no problems demolishing because Bats has superior training. Everything Super about Superman comes from his Alien heritage, and how the "yellow sun" affects him. How he deals with that *as a man* is what makes him "superman", and that's far more interesting than just seeing him beat up bad guys that are not in his league.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So what?

That's like me saying I can still code in BASIC and expect it to have any relavence today.
So what, you saw more of one particular version of superman -before I did- , big deal.

It was a response to you saying I dont know anything about Superman, and you are wrong about that.

It gives me a greater understanding about the characters, and where they have gone than you, and I daresay Mzzz would have an even greater understanding of them than I.
If the sum of your knowledge of superman is the black and white series, and the movies, and mine is all that, plus Lois and Clark, and Smallville, and comics, and animated series, then YES I can speak with more authority than you over the subject, and the fact that you saw one part of that before I did means exactly squat.

I never said the BW series was the sum of my knowledge about Superman. You claimed I know nothing about Superman, when I am the one who was introduced to him long before you took your first breath. :)

So what? they operate on a different power curve. I am not saying Supes is "realistic" from a "could be real" perspective, but that is besides the point. Your point seems to be that you personally don't want to see the more "mystical" elements in comic book movies. Well, you are shit out of luck because they exist in the DC or Marvel universes and have since "before you were born".

Um, they operate in completely different REALITIES. On one hand, you have a normal human being who uses his money to invest advanced tech and fight crime as a vigilante. On the other hand, you have an alien who comes from another planet, can fly, has x-ray vision, can pretty much do anything. Putting him in with the RL characters is a turn off...to me. Comic books can do whatever they want, but please dont put all of that nonsense in my movies. :)

Batman: Trained human to physical perfection and uses his wealth and intelligence in order to solve crimes and deal with criminals
Spiderman: Weedy kid bitten by a radioactive spider and gets "superpowers" based of arachnid characteristics.

These two are not the same, you are far better off comparing Batman to his obvious counterpart in the Marvel universe, Iron Man/Tony Stark.

At the most basic level, they are the same because they are HUMAN. They are normal flesh and blood humans who have been altered by tech or science. And yes, Tony Stark and Batman are very similar. Tony Stark has Batman outdone. :)

That's fine dude, that's what *you happen to like*, and you are free to watch what you want. What you are NOT allowed to do is dictate the reality of the comic book universes because you don't like it.
(Just quietly, I think a vamp and alien show would have potential these days :lol: )

:anim_59:

So what?
As Rac just said, don't you believe in aliens? Take Supes to Krypton, or in the Phantom Zone, he is just a man, a man that Bats would have no problems demolishing because Bats has superior training. Everything Super about Superman comes from his Alien heritage, and how the "yellow sun" affects him. How he deals with that *as a man* is what makes him "superman", and that's far more interesting than just seeing him beat up bad guys that are not in his league.

I like Batman. I like Superman. But I dont want them in the same film together. But who cares? They are going to be in this movie together along with Wonder Woman. All I am saying is that I wish they would keep these characters separate...at least keep the magical/alien ones together and keep the humans together.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It was a response to you saying I dont know anything about Superman, and you are wrong about that.
And I said I had no knowledge of coding, which is also wrong in the strictest sense of the word, I know BASIC, but that knowledge is hardly relavent to modern coding, is it?

I never said the BW series was the sum of my knowledge about Superman. You claimed I know nothing about Superman, when I am the one who was introduced to him long before you took your first breath. :)
So what??
Ok, you know something about superman, do you know as much as I do, or as much as Mzzz does?

Um, they operate in completely different REALITIES. On one hand, you have a normal human being who uses his money to invest advanced tech and fight crime as a vigilante. On the other hand, you have an alien who comes from another planet, can fly, has x-ray vision, can pretty much do anything. Putting him in with the RL characters is a turn off...to me. Comic books can do whatever they want, but please dont put all of that nonsense in my movies. :)
They are NOT your movies, they are *comic book movies*, and as such they operate under comic book lore.
At the most basic level, they are the same because they are HUMAN. They are normal flesh and blood humans who have been altered by tech or science.
By that logic, Hulk is the same, he is a Human who has been altered by science.
And yes, Tony Stark and Batman are very similar. Tony Stark has Batman outdone. :)
Tony Stark has more scifi-ish tech, he even has a suit made out or Uru-steel, and you can't get more "magic" than that. Batman tech is more like a few years ahead of the curve or has superior miniaturization.
Yes., the reality of the comic book universe, it operates under it's own consistent logic.
ST operates under it's own consistent logic as well. What you are essentially saying is "yeah, don't like those Vulcan people with their silly mind meld crap, it's magic and Vulcans are just space elves with their pointy little ears, trek would be better off without it."
I doubt either of us as trek fans would take the person saying that all too seriously, would we?

I like Batman. I like Superman. But I dont want them in the same film together. But who cares? They are going to be in this movie together along with Wonder Woman. All I am saying is that I wish they would keep these characters separate...at least keep the magical/alien ones together and keep the humans together.
Why, to maintain "realism"?
what the hell is realistic about 95% of any superhero??

Last edited:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Guessing some of you may have already seen this around the internets:

http://screenrant.com/batman-vs-superman-jesse-eisenberg-lex-luthor-jeremy-irons-alfred/

Jesse Eisenberg is Lex and Jeremy Irons is Alfred. I have a hard time seeing Eisenberg as Lex mostly cause he looks like a 16 yr old hipster and sounds like one too. He would look like a child next to Cavil and Affleck. Eh, some people seem to think he basically played Lex in that facebook movie; haven't watched it myself. Guess we'll see. And the joke going around now is that they got Eisenberg instead of Heisenberg (W.W.) for Lex.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Jesse Eisenberg? :facepalm:

Jesus Christ. First we get Affleck as Batman and now this? The folks in charge of casting must have gotten a particularly powerful batch of crack.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Guessing some of you may have already seen this around the internets:

http://screenrant.com/batman-vs-superman-jesse-eisenberg-lex-luthor-jeremy-irons-alfred/

Jesse Eisenberg is Lex and Jeremy Irons is Alfred. I have a hard time seeing Eisenberg as Lex mostly cause he looks like a 16 yr old hipster and sounds like one too. He would look like a child next to Cavil and Affleck. Eh, some people seem to think he basically played Lex in that facebook movie; haven't watched it myself. Guess we'll see. And the joke going around now is that they got Eisenberg instead of Heisenberg (W.W.) for Lex.

You know my first reaction to hearing this was something like "oh fuck, no!", but the more I think of it I'm starting to warm up to the idea. I think Eisenberg could do a Lex a lot similar to what Michael Rosenbaum did in Smallville. Instead of being this bumbling cartoonish villain that the Gene Hackman and Kevin Spacey Luthors were (and Cranston probably would've been) he could be this clever and scheming businessman who uses his brains and wits to fight Supes rather than his fists. If done right it could work, but really they should've just gone with Rosenbaum to start with.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Michael Rosenbaum was really good as Lex, especially in the later seasons he was in.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
You know my first reaction to hearing this was something like "oh fuck, no!", but the more I think of it I'm starting to warm up to the idea. I think Eisenberg could do a Lex a lot similar to what Michael Rosenbaum did in Smallville. Instead of being this bumbling cartoonish villain that the Gene Hackman and Kevin Spacey Luthors were (and Cranston probably would've been) he could be this clever and scheming businessman who uses his brains and wits to fight Supes rather than his fists. If done right it could work, but really they should've just gone with Rosenbaum to start with.

Michael Rosenbaum was really good as Lex, especially in the later seasons he was in.

Rosenbaum is too small of a name to be cast in a film this big. I'm sure he wasn't seriously considered even.

That said, I'd take him any day over Jesse "One Note" Eisenberg.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Probably, and Tom Welling was probably not considered for Man of Steel either :(

I know most of you guys were not Smallville fans as it was more in the "girly drama" side of things, but they did crank out some really good characterizations in it

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Probably, and Tom Welling was probably not considered for Man of Steel either :(

I know most of you guys were not Smallville fans as it was more in the "girly drama" side of things, but they did crank out some really good characterizations in it

I remember reading some fan reactions on some obscure site where someone was lamenting the fact that Jensen Ackles wasn't chosen for the role of Batman. :rolleyes:

It made me realize that some people in this world really have no clue how Hollywood works (and truthfully it's not that hard to figure out).

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
To be honest dude, I had never heard of Henry Cavell before M.O.S.

And Jensen as Batman??
I love me some SPN, but no, just..............no.
I could see Jensen becoming a Movie person, he has the fanbase, and I do think he can play a good character (he was not bad in Smallville either), but an ICON?
No, not yet.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
To be honest dude, I had never heard of Henry Cavell before M.O.S.

And Jensen as Batman??
I love me some SPN, but no, just..............no.
I could see Jensen becoming a Movie person, he has the fanbase, and I do think he can play a good character (he was not bad in Smallville either), but an ICON?
No, not yet.

Yes but Henry Cavell is British and you know that those wankers always get a pass. ;)

And as for Jensen Ackles, yes, I'd love to see him do something other than Dean Winchester, which he's done for the past 10 years. Dude really needs to stretch his acting wings more. (I could see him as James Bond believe it or not)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Bond eh??
Well that's a direction I have not thought of. He is relatively believable in an action role, and he can schmooze like a champion, so sure. I would rather see him build a rep as an "action star" first though, 10 years is a hard typecast to break, perhaps he should do stage/broadway for a bit? He's got the presence to do it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Bond eh??
Well that's a direction I have not thought of. He is relatively believable in an action role, and he can schmooze like a champion, so sure. I would rather see him build a rep as an "action star" first though, 10 years is a hard typecast to break, perhaps he should do stage/broadway for a bit? He's got the presence to do it.

His problem is he hasn't done much during his decade on SPN. He's done voice work for video games and cartoons and a few, very few, live action roles. Most actors who do a steady TV show also work on other projects during the hiatus. So now Ackles is a bit typecast as Dean Winchester. With luck he will be able to break out of it but on the other hand, it might be a curse for him.

As for the James Bond thing, dumb as this sounds I think he would look good in a tuxedo. He has the ability to pull off that stylish, clean, well dressed look.