VR general topic

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I just looked in the Oculus store and I don't see it in there. But it is in the Steam Store, and it still costs $60.00! If I buy that game, it will be the most expensive game I will have purchased for VR. I also notice that I had put it on my wishlist last month, so I am insterested in it for sure. I want it to go on sale. :)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I just looked in the Oculus store and I don't see it in there. But it is in the Steam Store, and it still costs $60.00! If I buy that game, it will be the most expensive game I will have purchased for VR. I also notice that I had put it on my wishlist last month, so I am insterested in it for sure. I want it to go on sale. :)

Steam summer sale has come and gone unfortunately. But it's been on sale for 50% off several times before. Steam has at least 4 sale events every year.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Steam summer sale has come and gone unfortunately. But it's been on sale for 50% off several times before. Steam has at least 4 sale events every year.

This game looks awesome. :) I still have to say that Subnautica is probably the most engaging game I own in my library. It is my second favorite behind Brass Tactics, but it is my new favorite all-around game. This No Man's Sky seems to have a survival element built into it which is probably awesome, and the reviews are good for it. I may spring for it even at $60.00, but like you said, it did go on sale a couple of times. I think I will grab it when it goes on sale again.

NOTE: This is where you would become frustrated if you owned a Quest VR headset. You are basically locked into the Oculus Store unless you install a mod (or two) to access Steam VR with it:

https://uploadvr.com/how-to-steamvr-oculus-quest/

To be honest, a modded Quest is still going to come in at less than it costs to buy a gaming computer and a PCVR headset like the Rift S or HTC Vive. Still, you will never be able to try out the developer tools like Unreal Engine and Unity which are the programs used to create VR content. You will also not be easily able to use VR desktop or view your own content. But for VR enjoyment of the existing games, you will come in at hundreds less. There are several games which will not work on the Quest due to power requirements of the processor.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Apparently Tetris Effect is also playable in "fully immersive VR".

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/tetris-effect/home

Kinda pricey for a Tetris game though, even with the sale. Heard good things about it. I think I've read that there's a mode where 100 people can play simultaneously in some sort of battle-royale style.

I looked at that, but I am not so sure I would like a VR version of the game as much as the flat original or 3D version for the PC. Looks like a great challenge game though! There are lots of puzzle games in VR available. I like the escape room puzzle games, because they have stories.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

The reviews on this game are mixed on Steam. People who even bought it at 50% off ($30.00) say it gets boring. They say that although you can go from planet to planet, you must always collect resources and that there are too many ways all your progress can be lost so you have to start over. Random events like space pirates, equipment failures, hazard systems failing, or unexpected attacks. They also say that the profile of every planet is the same, they only look different and have different names.

Still, I want it in my library. I will definitely not pay the $60.00 for it just yet.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The reviews on this game are mixed on Steam. People who even bought it at 50% off ($30.00) say it gets boring. They say that although you can go from planet to planet, you must always collect resources and that there are too many ways all your progress can be lost so you have to start over. Random events like space pirates, equipment failures, hazard systems failing, or unexpected attacks. They also say that the profile of every planet is the same, they only look different and have different names.

Still, I want it in my library. I will definitely not pay the $60.00 for it just yet.
Reviews are mixed also because particularly in the start the game was hyped and when it was released it was a let down. Since then it has improved a lot. And they are still developing it. I've been holding off on purchasing it myself. Did you know this has a thing sort of like stargates in it?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
No Man's Sky is currently 50% off on Steam @Overmind One.

On GOG as well by the way.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No Man's Sky is currently 50% off on Steam @Overmind One.

On GOG as well by the way.

This one is only the PC version. The next update will have VR support like Subnautica. Have you gotten it yet?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
This one is only the PC version. The next update will have VR support like Subnautica. Have you gotten it yet?
No I have not gotten it yet. But I did read that owners of the game would be getting the VR update. I think. Probably in the article I posted.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No I have not gotten it yet. But I did read that owners of the game would be getting the VR update. I think. Probably in the article I posted.

I am going to buy it. They say that the controller setup for Oculus has issues, but I am willing to give it a try at this price.

EDIT: I bought it. I will try and capture something or at least talk about it. :). There will be a major update next month to give it VR support.

NoMans.PNG

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I am going to buy it. They say that the controller setup for Oculus has issues, but I am willing to give it a try at this price.

EDIT: I bought it. I will try and capture something or at least talk about it. :). There will be a major update next month to give it VR support.

View attachment 35289
I'll be interested to learn what you think of the game.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'll be interested to learn what you think of the game.

FIRST impressions? It is a very tedious game. Imagine Subnautica, but having to take lots more time and travel much longer distances to get to needed resources. You have to use Google to find out how to play the game because the in-game help resources are not really that helpful.

The Good

Beautiful graphics. Almost photorealistic. The lighting, the scenery, it's beautiful.

The Bad

Feels like grinding effort just to get started. Collecting, dying of cold or heat or radiation several times just to get started. I can't stay in the game long enough for it to be fun yet.

Here is an explanation from somebody who has gotten a little bit further than me.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I had to google a ton of stuff to get to grips with Subnautica too.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I keep coming back to it because the graphics are beautiful. There are 5 factions you can be, from insectoid to human. The ships are different and the planets you start out on are different. But the damned resource collections, the "Your radiation protection is at 40%", and "Thermal protection is below 20%" is arduous and tedious and takes away from the game.

I just discovered Creative Mode which makes it more fun. You have unlimited resources, and you can explore the absolutely beautiful environment.

Flying your ship is an exercise in frustration the first time as well. You have "Boost", and "Pulse Jump", but how to turn it off when you approach a planet or a space station? No game should be this hard to play. Subnautica was much MUCH more straightforward.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This video nails it pretty much. The drawback of No Man's Sky is REPETITION. Mine resources, fly to the next planet, mine more resources, fly to the next planet, upgrade your ship so you can mine yet more resources and fly FASTER to the next planet. Then you mine more resources...:bored:

The BEST part of this game for me is the fact that I got it (thanks man!) for half price. I can forgive the flaws, and they are major.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Is there not a different game mode that allows to ignore the tedious chores?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Is there not a different game mode that allows to ignore the tedious chores?

The closest we get is "Creative Mode", but you still have to mine resources, refuel the ship, fly to planets, mine more resources, refuel the ship, rinse and repeat, only different colors and creatures but basically the same setup for each planet. You can build stuff, but I have not really gotten that far because the game just gets too boring after about an hour.