They Cloned Tyrone - Netflix (2023)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Cool!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I feel like I'm opening a can of worms here, but I'm guessing blaxploitation is to mean the use of black people in movies to somehow make the movie seem better by "exploiting" black people? No, I didn't bother to google the term because I'm fucking lazy, and it's late, and it's been a VERY long week. If it does mean what I think it means, then I don't understand how "it draws heavily from 1970s blaxploitation" could be considered to be a good thing. Unless, quality of things these days has become so bad that you would take anything over that, even bad shit from the past.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
I feel like I'm opening a can of worms here, but I'm guessing blaxploitation is to mean the use of black people in movies to somehow make the movie seem better by "exploiting" black people? No, I didn't bother to google the term because I'm fucking lazy, and it's late, and it's been a VERY long week. If it does mean what I think it means, then I don't understand how "it draws heavily from 1970s blaxploitation" could be considered to be a good thing. Unless, quality of things these days has become so bad that you would take anything over that, even bad shit from the past.
No, not at all! Those movies were patronized by mostly black people! Movies like Shaft, Cleopatra Jones, Coffee, etc. They had a flavor and that flavor is visual and in how the music is used. It's a style, and you will find it interesting and fun. I have rewatched it twice!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
No, not at all! Those movies were patronized by mostly black people! Movies like Shaft, Cleopatra Jones, Coffee, etc. They had a flavor and that flavor is visual and in how the music is used. It's a style, and you will find it interesting and fun. I have rewatched it twice!
And in that sentence, patronized is a good thing as opposed to a bad thing as it is usually used these days. Gotta be honest, don't recall having seen Shaft (although I might have, though it might have been a remake?), haven't seen or heard of Cleopatra Jones, at least not in a memorable way, and haven't seen or heard of Coffee. Somehow I am reminded of Jackie Brown, although I have no idea why, and by the way I'm not really fond of that movie, even though I know it was hyped back in the day.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
And in that sentence, patronized is a good thing as opposed to a bad thing as it is usually used these days. Gotta be honest, don't recall having seen Shaft (although I might have, though it might have been a remake?), haven't seen or heard of Cleopatra Jones, at least not in a memorable way, and haven't seen or heard of Coffee. Somehow I am reminded of Jackie Brown, although I have no idea why, and by the way I'm not really fond of that movie, even though I know it was hyped back in the day.
Yep, Jackie Brown is in that category too. It's just a backdrop for a cool take on a scifi premise. Again, worth watching! I had the same exact feeling of WTF as you did before watching these films, but then I watched them and WOW!