The Official Trailer is up - Godzilla 2014

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Matthew Broderick was not the center of the rejection of that film - its ridiculous depiction of Godzilla was. It's a case where even people who are not full fledged Goji fans see that "monster" and call it GINO.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The 1999 film with Matthew Broderick bombed in large part because their "Godzilla" wasn't Godzilla. It was totally rejected by Kaiju fans and indeed it's nickname is GINO (Godzilla In Name Only). Toho has kept on making Godzilla movies and this licensing arrangement came about a couple of years ago and this time Toho put stipulations in the contract about the depiction of Godzilla - to prevent another GINO.

but then it had matthew broderick in it! :P Very over-rated IMHO!

Joelist is on the money with this. They could have had just about anyone in that GINO movie, and written any story but what destroyed it was the lizard they were calling Godzilla. It has absolutely no relationship to any kaigu movie and the creature they depicted was not Godzilla. Not even close. I remember the multi-million dollar teasers all over Los Angeles "Bigger IS better" and "Size Matters". :facepalm:. Nothing about that Godzilla was done right, not even his sound. Most kaiju fans do not count it as a kaiju movie (I dont).

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I am surprised you guys didn't talk about the direct cartoon sequel of the 1998 Godzilla movie. Personally, for me this was better than the movie, despite the monster looking like the one from the movie. This cartoon series didn't have broderick by the way. The only one from the original movie was the guy who played Major Hicks from the movie.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am surprised you guys didn't talk about the direct cartoon sequel of the 1998 Godzilla movie. Personally, for me this was better than the movie, despite the monster looking like the one from the movie. This cartoon series didn't have broderick by the way. The only one from the original movie was the guy who played Major Hicks from the movie.

The problem with the cartoon was the same Godzilla and it continued the ridiculous egg story which ended the movie. The 1998 Godzilla movie was a worse bomb than many movies to date. People actually booed in the screenings. This cartoon shows "Godzilla" leaping onto a building like King Kong :facepalm:. Tristar created their awful Godzilla from day one as a marketing/sales engine. There were sequels planned, and the cartoon's existence was purely to generate interest from kids in toys and other tie-ins. All of the 1998 Godzilla machine was a pure marketing package. The severe failure of the movie caused Tristar to cancel any sequels.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Basically TriStar was super arrogant. They appropriated an iconic character and changed him so much that he was unrecognizable. Then they expected people to embrace their creation. They failed to understand just HOW iconic Godzilla is, and that people would reject their depiction as being untrue to the character.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Nah, I liked the cartoon when I used to watch it. It was pretty fun, and Godzilla was cool as a sort of partner but still that monster. He was helping out with stuff and new threats. The human characters were great too. They all their own individual aspects that were pretty likable.

Lot of reviews about this new movie says the human characters are underdeveloped, and that there wasn't much to root for in the human side for this movie. Eh, I'll still go see it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Lots?

So far the reviews now that the NDA is off are highly favorable (Rotten Tomatoes 88% fresh), and a lot of the favorable reviews are that it is not a typical summer blockbuster.

For example:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/10818993/Godzilla-review.html

All kaiju fans are going to see it no matter what has been done with Godzilla, and what they say about the film will make a big difference. The regular audience is what is going to make or break this film in terms of financial success. But I still have issues with the updated Godzilla. His looks are just so...odd:

Capture.PNG

That flat topped skull and the square jaw are decidedly non-reptilian and looks canine or ursidae to me. The way the eyes are set, the earlobes, that snout...its like they tried too hard to make him look scary. But they can make up for it in the story.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm not having as big an issue looks wise as you are. He is very recognizably Godzilla and not some sort of giant iguana. As I mentioned upthread, if you want really BAD looking Godzilla's I posted one upthread which is Toho's Godzilla 2000. He looked like a frog.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm not having as big an issue looks wise as you are. He is very recognizably Godzilla and not some sort of giant iguana. As I mentioned upthread, if you want really BAD looking Godzilla's I posted one upthread which is Toho's Godzilla 2000. He looked like a frog.

True dat, about his looks. And like I said, it will more than make up for the looks if they get his behavior and sound right. His backstory is going to be interesting.....

But That flat skull....it looks like King Ghidorah stomped on the top of his head and crushed the top half of it. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The backstory will indeed be interesting. Ken Watanabe's character refers to him in a clip as the "alpha predator" - that sounds very intriguing.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
There's been a bit more out. It sounds like Godzilla 2014 hearkens back more to the Heisei era Godzilla films than anything else. If true, that is good because overall the Heisei films were entertaining Kaiju fare.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I will be in Los Angeles (specifically Woodland Hills) the whole of the next week. And guess what our company team has scheduled for a team building activity Tuesday night? We will be catching Godzilla at the Woodland Hills AMC theatre! So i will be able to get a detailed review written thereafter.

So far Godzilla did HUGE business in the Thursday night "rollout" and initial opening weekend estimates on the $65 million range are bang ratcheted up quickly - probably because the word of mouth coming out of the theaters is highly positive.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I will be in Los Angeles (specifically Woodland Hills) the whole of the next week. And guess what our company team has scheduled for a team building activity Tuesday night? We will be catching Godzilla at the Woodland Hills AMC theatre! So i will be able to get a detailed review written thereafter.

So far Godzilla did HUGE business in the Thursday night "rollout" and initial opening weekend estimates on the $65 million range are bang ratcheted up quickly - probably because the word of mouth coming out of the theaters is highly positive.

Didnt you make this trip last year? I wanted to hook up with you and Illiterati, but had other obligations. Will you be with a group or will you have some freedom of movement? Are you all going to see Godzilla as a group? Also...you are saying this is out already?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep, made it last year. Some nights I have team duties but I might be able to get free on one. I'll be local Sunday through Thursday.

Godzilla went live last night (pre showings like all big films nowadays) and took in over 9 million in those super limited screenings. And so far most of the reviews have been good, and even the ones that were less than enthusiastic really liked the monsters and monster action.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I like that review - it seems to echo a general vibe that this film as very atypically made for a summer "blockbuster".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep, made it last year. Some nights I have team duties but I might be able to get free on one. I'll be local Sunday through Thursday.

Godzilla went live last night (pre showings like all big films nowadays) and took in over 9 million in those super limited screenings. And so far most of the reviews have been good, and even the ones that were less than enthusiastic really liked the monsters and monster action.

I dont see how this movie can fail. :) All the boxes are checked, and the original fanbase and canon has been considered when rebooting everyone's favorite kaiju, Godzilla

Red Mage

Boney
Also...you are saying this is out already?

It's out. I saw the matinee showing. It could have been a solid 8/10 film but a few serious flaws hurt the film. I'm okay with most of the focus being on the human characters as many of the Toho ones did too but the film tends to shift focus on the more boring characters to its detriment. Aaron Tyler-Johnson gets most of the screentime but his character is extremely bland and can't carry a scene at all. For what happens to that character, he should have a lot more development and growth but his character remains flat throughout. Ken Watanabe is woefully underutilized in the film and his character spends most of his screentime with his assistant staring at each other with a worried look on their faces. A complete waste of a talented actor.

The film has alot going for it. The cinematography is quite good and as is the musical score. The MUTO monsters are definitely cool and menacing. The monster on monster fighting while limited in screentime looks great far better than the last Godzilla film Final Wars. If they cut out about 20-30 minutes of Aaron Tyler-Johnson screentime, the film would have had much better pacing and a better ratio of interesting (Bryan Cranston) to dull (ATJ, Olson) character screentime. Overall, ok film and much, much better than 1998 Godzilla. It's obvious the director paid homage to Toho and did his best to honor the series but a few dull characters that get way too much emphasis spoil what could have been a strong film.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'll see on Tuesday.

That said, Godzilla movies are never character pieces and always more of a simple narrative where the human characters are there mostly just to put the monsters in perspective. That goes all the way back to the original Gojira in 1954.