The Minty Goodness of Linux Mint.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just did an update to firefox and now Youtube won't play ,,,

You have to click the "Activate Adobe Flash" link in the middle of the video, then choose "Allow and Remember" in the next window.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
How to I reverse an update to Firefox . Youtube worked before I tried to install the Netflix shortcut and it also did an update for firefox .
Chrome works with youtube and netflix .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
How to I reverse an update to Firefox . Youtube worked before I tried to install the Netflix shortcut and it also did an update for firefox .
Chrome works with youtube and netflix .

Like Bluce said, Chrome does phone home with your browsing habits. I have my Chrome set up to ONLY run Netflix, fullscreen, and the shortcut on my launch bar for Chrome is the Netflix icon. I never use it for browsing the web. I use Firefox for that.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
No idea why but firefox is working fine now . Guess it needed to be restarted . The browser that is . Not Mint ...

:) :) :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Me too. But it isnt just Flash that is needed by Netflix, it is the DRM framework. Google has it included in the base install. Firefox will play Flash but not Netflix (without modification)

Netflix has never used Flash, it uses Microsoft's completely abandoned Silverlight on Windows. Netflix requires that or HTML5, which supports DRM and Google Chrome has it fully implemented.
--- merged: Jan 11, 2015 6:25 PM ---
No idea why but firefox is working fine now . Guess it needed to be restarted . The browser that is . Not Mint ...

Firefox recently also implemented the full HTML5 DRM specs that Netflix now approves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Mint is home for me. When I want to play games, and have to restart and boot into Windows, it seems foreign to me now. This is only at home, since my network at work is 100% Windows with a smattering of ipads and iPhones to deal with. Windows no longer seems comfortable to me for personal use. But it remains the only real PC gaming platform out there. :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Is there a way to use my Avast Secure Line in Mint ?

I found a bit of info but not too sure about it . Just wondering if anyone has gotten Avast to run in Mint . Just lookin to use Secure Line ...

Thanks

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Is there a way to use my Avast Secure Line in Mint ?

I found a bit of info but not too sure about it . Just wondering if anyone has gotten Avast to run in Mint . Just lookin to use Secure Line ...

Thanks

No, you cant run it natively or in Wine. You need to set up a virtual machine in Mint (my solution). I recommend VMware workstation or the free player, because you can run it in Unity (desktop integration mode).

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
No, you cant run it natively or in Wine. You need to set up a virtual machine in Mint (my solution). I recommend VMware workstation or the free player, because you can run it in Unity (desktop integration mode).

Woa dude! . You are takin greek to me lol !!! No problem . I have a full year paid for Secure Line . Just wanted to be able to use it up
. I can use it on my other windows machine .
Thanks for the info .

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Actually I may try what you suggested OM1 . I never quite understood the virtual stuff but I think its time to learn ...
Thanks again ...

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Had an issue with no google search engine in FireFox . Here is the fix .

http://www.techtint.com/how-to-change-search-engine-to-google-in-firefox-in-linux-mint-17/

Mozilla took it upon themselves to completely wipe Google as a search engine choice. I understand they go where the money lies, given the software is free, but wiping Google out of existence as a choice in order to secure Yahoo's sponsorship deal was beyond greedy, disgustingly so, especially given the fact that they made a billion from their deal with Google over the years WITHOUT requiring that any other search engines be wiped out as choice.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I just installed it . You have to use the beta version as the regular Linux one will not work in Linux Mint . been havin some fun here trying to get it to work . There online support is excellent ...
Problem I have now is I do not know how to un install the non beta version ,,,

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just installed it . You have to use the beta version as the regular Linux one will not work in Linux Mint . been havin some fun here trying to get it to work . There online support is excellent ...
Problem I have now is I do not know how to un install the non beta version ,,,

What did you just install?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
The VPN program from Private Internet Access for Linux Mint / Beta ... Works great !
But initially I installed the non beta version which works with Ubuntu earlier versions . I have no idea as to how to un install the Ubuntu version . It's not doing anything though so no biggie .
Both were installed through Terminal ...

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Havin a update issue with Linux ... Can't find a fix yet . Are you guys up on this one . I see steam there . Maybe that's the issue ...screenshot-window-2015-07-26-121935.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Havin a update issue with Linux ... Can't find a fix yet . Are you guys up on this one . I see steam there . Maybe that's the issue ...View attachment 31347

Run this in a terminal to fix broken packages. :

Code:
apt-get -f install

Why are you running Steam in Linux Mint?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
My daughter installed it . Not me . It won't let me uninstall it ...

Tried
apt-get -f install .

Nothing happens ...