The future of streaming

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
With the news of late of streamers going under (Hulu), hemorrhaging subs (Disney and Max) and other such horrors like Amazon taking a bath on Rings of Power what is the future of streaming? It seems that people are not willing to pay multiple services monthly fees that add up, and as such the very issue I wondered about in the past (how do they make any money) has come home to roost.

So, how do they actually make money?

Last edited:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I think they will start making money as they acquire exclusive sports coverage. This has already begun.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
While it is true that Amazon landed Thursday night football and YouTube got NFL Sunday Ticket those revenue streams are not enough to put them in the black.

I think what needs to happen (and will likely happen) is a lot of these streamers (like Paramount) are going to fold. The studios involved will take the lead from Warner Brothers and go back to being pure studios, where they create content they release to theaters and sell/license to other parties. Then, you'll have a small (like 1 or 2) number of aggregators who people subscribe to for a fee and get all the content that aggregator has purchased/licensed.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
With the news that Netflix is exploring buying Paramount+ this is seemingly coming a bit more true. I wonder if such a purchase would include the rights to Trek?

Shadow Mann

Staff member
With the news that Netflix is exploring buying Paramount+ this is seemingly coming a bit more true. I wonder if such a purchase would include the rights to Trek?
It might not include Star Trek. In order to get those rights in the package, they would have to purchase Paramount itself. I think at this point, Paramount should consider selling the rights to Star Trek a la carte. Of course, that would open the possibility of Bad Robot buying it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It might not include Star Trek. In order to get those rights in the package, they would have to purchase Paramount itself. I think at this point, Paramount should consider selling the rights to Star Trek a la carte. Of course, that would open the possibility of Bad Robot buying it.
They might as well sell the franchise - it is not very valuable anymore. Sell it to a studio though not to a specific streamer - that way they can create content and license the content to multiple sources.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Lol. Sure. Star Trek is not valuable anymore. Hahahahahah. Get real man.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The value proposition is in its ability to make money. Since the toys don't sell anymore to the point the manufacturers stopped licensing to make them and the movies are a done deal apparently where is the profit?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The value proposition is in its ability to make money. Since the toys don't sell anymore to the point the manufacturers stopped licensing to make them and the movies are a done deal apparently where is the profit?
There is still a large base of people out there who like Star Trek. Sure, a lot of them are older people now, and most of them won't buy toys, but it's not all about toys. Even the older Star Trek shows will keep attracting new people, as long as those new people are made aware that Star Trek exists. This is because there are things that are unique about Star Trek, which people won't easily be able to find anywhere else. Once they get to know it, they'll be drawn in. There's a certain percentage of the population to which Star Trek is appealing, and that is not likely to change. And since the population of earth is ever growing, the amount of people to whom Star Trek is appealing is ever growing. These new shows that are being made, as much as you might not like them, will appeal to people who will become new Star Trek fans, and those fans will then get to know older Star Trek shows which they never were aware of before. It's either that, or the familiarity with Star Trek will slowly die as the older fans grow older and eventually stop caring or die. This is something that rather irks me when I read the negative comments about the new shows, the short-sightedness. You can't expect new (young people of today's world) people to just know about what's out there from before. And even if you tell them that those older shows are out there and that they're great, what do you expect the reaction to be? They'll be like fuck off grandpa, I got things to do. But if they get introduced to something that is modern and fits within the current world as it is, then they'll get interested, and that's when their horizon will broaden and they might be open to the older shows as well. To disavow the newer shows is therefore more or less the same as helping to kill Star Trek. But I'm sure the response to this logic will be that Star Trek is already dead and the newer shows are what killed it. To which my response would be, if you care enough about it to say that, then obviously Star Trek isn't dead, so that would negate your own argument.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You're referring to cultural value - I was referring to monetary value. If you're a studio the second is of primary importance.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan

They can get AI content create videos like this to create Bill Murray.

Why are they complaining now regarding the writers strike. The content looks like it got worse after 2007/2008 strike IMo because i got turned off by watching less and less new movies and tv series.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes they are merging Paramount+ and Showtime's former streaming service - Showtime rejoined Paramount back in 2019 when CBS and Viacom reunited. Doesn't mean they are not also exploring a sale and of course doesn't mean a sale is a sure thing either. The interesting part is the merge per Viacom is partly driven by a need to reduce expenses, as they lost over a billion dollars in the last quarter.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I just wonder with the writers strike - I don't know what they are complaining about? It's not like they are making state of the art, iconic masterpieces that we will look back upon like they were from 1920 - 2000's like we do here with the sci-fi stuff.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
You're referring to cultural value - I was referring to monetary value. If you're a studio the second is of primary importance.
As long as the public like a show that is always potential for some type of monetary profit, they just need to age adjust as needed , but in this case, I don't think that is even an issue.

They might not be toys and lunch boxes, ( except for lower decks, which can be ) but they can make cold hard coin from items that older people like, bigger ticket items like PS5 or MS X games at 80 dollars a piece, or even rides themed after popular aspects in Disney, Universal Studios or other theme parks. There is also a lot money that can be made from ST conventions which sell smaller ticket itmes like ST themed items such as drinks, T-Shirts, key chains, phone cases, much much more.

I know I personally bought a few ST themed items in the last couple of years, including a mask for Covid which cost me 20 pounds and a ST phone case which cost me 15 pounds, so how are they no longer profitable?
Just type in "star trek items" into Amazon, Google. or Ebay if you doubt me.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I am personally happy to see the mergers. I pay for a ton of separate streaming services and it is pain in the arse to have to go to some many different services to find a show I like, since my Amazon fire always seems to push the Prime Video option for cost, even though it might be on Discovery Plus for free. I am hoping they merge a few more, but one thing I don't like is when they do it too fast and have really poor platform design and/or performance like Paramount Plus never seems to remember the right number ep we were on, but Hulu and Netflilx have it down each time.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hi! Back from the mountains of PA!

I also am happy to see the streaming field get culled. Really what I posted upthread is what needs to happen - the studios go back to being studios that license their product to aggregators (streaming services). The streamer makes profit on their subscription fees and the studios make profit on the licensing.

As to whether a franchise has real monetary value, I agree that in a very long term there may be profit there where in the more immediate it isn't. The problem of course is the studio owning the IP has to pay its bills and needs to make profit annually. Hence a franchise where a given product takes multiple years to be in the black is not that valuable compared to things that offer more immediate returns.

And this is where Star Trek is unfortunately stuck right now. The movies tailed off badly, the merchandise sales have dried up and the streaming material is audience limited by being only on Paramount+ (and remember here I LIKE Strange New Worlds and liked Picard S3). Trek badly needs either a new owner studio that can make the stuff and license it to multiple platforms or Paramount needs to dissolve Paramount+ and like Warner Brothers go back to being a studio pure and true.