The Female Doctor looks like a clown

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
Do shaming tactics ever work?

You're a misogynist for not watching Jodie Whitaker as the Doctor. You're a troll for criticizing The Last Jedi. You're a closed-minded fanboi for not liking the new Star Trek.

There's always an excuse for the failure of these projects: The BBC didn't promote the show enough. A handful of trolls on the Internet caused the greatest movie franchise in film history to tank. Blah blah blah. :rolleye0014:

Like OM1 said, if these shows and movies are to be saved it will come from the bean counters. They're the only ones dealing in reality at the moment.

The shaming tactics have the opposite effect on me. You can't force shit down someone's throat by guilt because they will tune you out completely at some point. This nonsense can turn viewers off so much that they will probably not be interested in the next series no matter how good it is and will require much effort to get them back.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The dumb part is that for all we know Jodie Whittaker might be a fine actress. But the writing is so lousy you'll never be able to tell.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's actually funny watching the robots defending this series and claiming the ratings are great. In reality they got their BBC ratings back to about where they were in Season 8 while the overseas ratings have tanked and sales of products have likewise tanked (no one is buying Jodie Whittaker posters, toys or such). And lest we forget they moved the show to a different night with rather less (in UK terms) competition. Before it typically went head to head with shows like Eastenders and Casualty. Now the competition is not there. And the tanking sales and such show who has stopped watching - the real fans who actually PAY THE FREIGHT on franchises by merchandise purchases.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yeah it did so well that there won't be any episodes in 2019 at all...

Like I said they managed to get the ratings back to around Season 8 level but the new night means the competition is far less potent.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yup! No usage of Time Lord or Gallifrey.

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
Is it true they haven't used the words "Time Lord" or "Gallifrey" at all this season?

Also, why do they have so many companions for the new doctor? I'm assuming it's to take attention off of Jodie Whittaker because it makes no sense otherwise.

It's part of their new strategy. They've started filming season 12 and a few early shots leaked. Here's one showing the new companions inside the TARDIS.

maxresdefault.jpg

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member

This video does a good job of dismantling the finale episode. It would be wise for BBC to just pay out her contract, scrap this season from canon and have season 12 pick up right after Capaldi's regeneration. While they're at it, perhaps erase The Master's spontaneous sex-change as well. This whole line of thinking by the show runners is pure rubbish.

If they want a female Doctor that badly just bring back a regenerated Romana from Baker's era and give her a series of her own. If the writing is good I would be glued to the set every week.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'll go back to my original assessment that the styling for Jodie Whittaker as The Doctor is all wrong. It just doesn't work. She still looks clownish. Not whimsical, clownish. Every time I see her I expect a puppet sidekick to appear to crack jokes as Whittaker makes balloon animals to amuse a gaggle of screaming children.

I was waiting for the monkey wearing a fez to leap into her arms.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The costume doesn’t help that’s for sure. Add in the extremely poor writing which basically engaged in a political lecture every episode and that the way they wrote Jodie’s Doctor meant she has no identity of her own and came off weak and attenuated and the result is what we got.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This looks strangely familiar....

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 1.56.04 PM.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The costume doesn’t help that’s for sure. Add in the extremely poor writing which basically engaged in a political lecture every episode and that the way they wrote Jodie’s Doctor meant she has no identity of her own and came off weak and attenuated and the result is what we got.

I like how you said "costume" and not "her clothes". :)