THE EXPANSE- FINAL SEASON

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That would be a pity.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I have Amazon Prime, but the need to watch serialized shows is waning in this old fart.

All the "Continium" people are crying for your lot.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
On the good side 6 episodes if a bit longer could get us to the defeat of Marco Inaros. And to be honest I would just as soon not get into the thirty year time jump or the Laconian Star Empire.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Just three weeks to go now.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Just three weeks to go now.
will this take them to the end of the source material?

i know AMAZON said no more, but then i read/hear- to include in the vid i posted above- that other services may be interested in picking it up

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
No it will not. There will be three books as of yet uncovered.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

The Expanse authors say the show’s only on pause, not canceled, after season 6​

Speaking with Polygon on Tuesday, writers Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck declined to call it a cancellation. Instead, they prefer to think of it as a pause.

“We have what we think is a very natural pause point for the story after season 6,” Franck told Polygon during a press event for the new season. “It’ll feel like a satisfying end to the story we’ve been building over the first five seasons. I think one of the things that is sort of an outmoded idea is the idea of being canceled.”

i think AMAZON is foolish for not continuing the show. Sure there are others dying to buy up the rights

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
From that I surmise that Amazon invested quite a bit of money in the show, but it may not have had the effect they were hoping for. The show in itself is surely popular enough, but do people who come to watch the show on Prime Video stick around and branch out to other Prime Video shows? We have so many streaming services these days. Personally, we just pick and choose which shows we like anywhere and watch them, irrespective of what platform they are on. I suppose this is a luxury we can afford due to being subscribed to pretty much all the main services. I read the other day that the average American is signed up for 8 streaming services. That is quite a lot of choice. Maybe the costs of producing the show are outweighing the rewards in subscriber count. There is also the fact that this has now become an older show and generally those tend to lose some viewers over time whilst not picking up many new viewers. SyFy used to be notorious for cancelling shows after five seasons, even good ones. Maybe they think they've milked this show for what they can. To be hones, I myself found seasons 4 and 5 to be much less interesting than the first 3 seasons.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Season 4 meandered and also misused the character of Bobbie Draper. Season 5 was much better and got back on the rails but I would rather not move past where they plan to end - not a fan of the Laconian Star Empire :D

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
From that I surmise that Amazon invested quite a bit of money in the show, but it may not have had the effect they were hoping for. The show in itself is surely popular enough, but do people who come to watch the show on Prime Video stick around and branch out to other Prime Video shows? We have so many streaming services these days. Personally, we just pick and choose which shows we like anywhere and watch them, irrespective of what platform they are on. I suppose this is a luxury we can afford due to being subscribed to pretty much all the main services. I read the other day that the average American is signed up for 8 streaming services. That is quite a lot of choice. Maybe the costs of producing the show are outweighing the rewards in subscriber count. There is also the fact that this has now become an older show and generally those tend to lose some viewers over time whilst not picking up many new viewers. SyFy used to be notorious for cancelling shows after five seasons, even good ones. Maybe they think they've milked this show for what they can. To be hones, I myself found seasons 4 and 5 to be much less interesting than the first 3 seasons.
I pay for Netflix, apple, amz- but of course that has the faster delivery service as well, and through amazon at a few dollar discount i get epix, britbox, acorn and paramount (i discovered they do have some other shows that are pretty good- like CLARICE and EVIL)

also pay for VIKI where my wife gets content from several korean TV channels

it is still FAR cheaper but far more rewarding than paying for satellite or cable

and than all the free stuff from/through places like youtube, roku channel and pluto -- never regret being a "cord cutter/ dish ditcher"

=============
but to your point of favorite shows being all over the place

i can see how someone may make- like say ROKU or anyone else who makes streaming devices or just some app developer- makes some kind of aggregator that serves as a reminder and scheduler that puts all of your watched and followed shows in one view-- AND THEN allows you to access those shows straight from that app

-- maybe someone HAS already done this?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
i can see how someone may make- like say ROKU or anyone else who makes streaming devices or just some app developer- makes some kind of aggregator that serves as a reminder and scheduler that puts all of your watched and followed shows in one view-- AND THEN allows you to access those shows straight from that app

-- maybe someone HAS already done this?
Sounds a bit like Kodi. :D

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's possible.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yeah. I just feel there shouldn't be separate threads for every season. Just one thread that is the name of the show without any frazzles on

Yeah. I just feel there shouldn't be separate threads for every season. Just one thread that is the name of the show without any frazzles on it.
So, i ain't going to play Huckleberry and hunt it down.. but the ONLY reason I made separate threads for sep seasons of several shows is because 'someone' (not here now in this conversation) a while back stated that is how he/she wanted it because it would present a more appealing and professional appearance to potential members

this circular firing squad in slow mo shit here is what is, literally, killing us

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Lol!

Well, would you rather have one thread which is easy to find on which conversation takes place, or would you rather have a bunch of threads which are difficult to find on which practically no conversation takes place? That is the question.

Anyway, it is not my forum. From my perspective of a user, when I feel I wish to say something related to a show, I look for the thread for that show. Having multiple threads makes it confusing. Also, let's say I'm posting in the season 6 thread of the show, and then I want to talk about stuff from season 3 of the show, I would feel like I would have to go look for the thread for season 3 in order to say what I want to say, and possibly find that I have create a season 3 thread if it doesn't exist yet. It just doesn't make a lot of sense from that perspective.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
There are good cases to make for both. For instance we covered The Walking Dead with separate threads per season and it worked well there. By contrast we had one super long thread for Z Nation and it worked well. So there are good examples of both.