Subnautica! An interesting observation: VR will not end PC gaming.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I am going to talk about Subnautica which is a beautiful new game about survival and resource management. It plays like this:

I believe Lord Ba'al and I found it at around the same time, but my first experience with it was as a virtual reality game. That's right, it has both a PC first person mode and a VR mode. I only realized that when Ba'al said he was playing it on his PC. I had it in my VR library but sure enough, when I typed it into my programs list, and there it was (a shortcut to start the game). I opened it up and started playing and that is when I realized something: it plays better on PC than it does in VR and is more fun to play that way.

How can this be? Well first of all, it is much less work to control your player. You have awesome and intuitive keyboard and mouse control, and everything is just easier to do. In VR there is a lot of actual physical movement, even when sitting. In the PC version, you are only moving the mouse and your keyboard fingers instead of your arms and hands and head. Also, you are not immersed in the world of the game which for this particular game is a good thing. The survival pod feels claustrophobic when you are inside of it in virtual reality. But on the PC you concentrate on the gameplay instead of the environment, which is beautiful by the way. :)

I will go on to say that I can see many games where a VR mode might take away from the experience. I don't think I want to play Starcraft II in VR mode, or Grand Theft Auto. I kinda need the disconnect. I think that VR gaming is absolutely awesome and I am completely in love with it. But I think PC gaming is still just as fun and in some cases, more fun than virtual reality.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I would love to experience this in VR though. If ever a game concept was made for it, this is it. As for claustrophobia in the lifepods, I think that accurately conveys the experience of the scenario. Imagine being in that situation for real.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I would love to experience this in VR though. If ever a game concept was made for it, this is it. As for claustrophobia in the lifepods, I think that accurately conveys the experience of the scenario. Imagine being in that situation for real.

In VR, it feels like you are in that situation for real. You are immersed in it, so you are participating in it in a way you don't get with playing it on PC. Thing is, the player control and using everything requires physical movement of some kind, even when using the controllers. I still have not built my first base yet and I have really just started in terms of stuff I have to do to be able to fabricate what I want. I am still catching my first fish and collecting metals and other stuff.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
In VR, it feels like you are in that situation for real. You are immersed in it, so you are participating in it in a way you don't get with playing it on PC. Thing is, the player control and using everything requires physical movement of some kind, even when using the controllers. I still have not built my first base yet and I have really just started in terms of stuff I have to do to be able to fabricate what I want. I am still catching my first fish and collecting metals and other stuff.
I'm playing in "freedom" mode. This way I don't have to worry about food or water. Once I've completed my playthrough I might play next time in the mode for hardcore players. I've been at it for two weeks straight now and have done a lot, but I still feel there is much to do. Can't believe I paid less than 5 pounds for this game. It would so have been worth it to pay full price for this game. Definitely getting more than my money's worth. If they ever make a third game, I won't hesitate to scoop it up for the full price. I already have the second game, but I haven't touched it yet because I want to complete this first.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Made significant progress tonight, at least as far as I'm concerned. Managed to get to 1300 below sea level and gather a whole bunch of resources, one of which I never had access to before because it can only be found down there. Managed to transport the lot back to my 800 meter base as well. Ironically, in order to further expand my base I need some rather basic resources which can't be found down there, so I have to travel all the way back to my first base.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I finished the game!

Wait, so how did you "finish" the game? I have been alternating between Survival mode and I have another game in Creative mode. Does the game get to a point where you can leave the planet? How do you know you finished?

BTW, I paid $29.95 for this game, and it's worth every penny! VR mode PC computer mode!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Wait, so how did you "finish" the game? I have been alternating between Survival mode and I have another game in Creative mode. Does the game get to a point where you can leave the planet? How do you know you finished?

BTW, I paid $29.95 for this game, and it's worth every penny! VR mode PC computer mode!
There's a story in the game. You have a lot of freedom to do what you want, but in order to progress the story, you need to hit certain milestones. And yes I left the planet, but I don't want to spoil it. Am back on the planet now by the way. Subnautica Below Zero.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There's a story in the game. You have a lot of freedom to do what you want, but in order to progress the story, you need to hit certain milestones. And yes I left the planet, but I don't want to spoil it. Am back on the planet now by the way. Subnautica Below Zero.

Okay, so in Creative mode, I have built a base, the Cyclops, and I have the three alien tablets available if I need them. But because I am in Creative mode, the story isn't there.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Okay, so in Creative mode, I have built a base, the Cyclops, and I have the three alien tablets available if I need them. But because I am in Creative mode, the story isn't there.
Aaah that sucks. So no radio messages?

Try Freedom mode. In this mode you won't have to worry about drink or food, just oxygen, and you get everything else.

I noticed Below Zero also has a Hardcore mode. In this one, if you die, that's it, start over. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Aaah that sucks. So no radio messages?

Try Freedom mode. In this mode you won't have to worry about drink or food, just oxygen, and you get everything else.

I noticed Below Zero also has a Hardcore mode. In this one, if you die, that's it, start over. :)

No radio messages in Creative mode. All resources are unlimited and you can do anything you want. I built at least two bases (because I built my first one and went back to the survival pod and could not find it again! I found out about the beacon while playing in game. I actually did an Alt+Tab and went online to find out how to locate your bases. So in my game, there is an abandoned base somewhere underwater which I can't find. :) But I did build the second one and dropped a beacon on it so I could find it. I have already decked it out with cool stuff and I have my Cyclops based there. I will try freedom mode next. I love that you can easily save the games in whatever mode you want to play.

Hey, you might like this game (Breathedge):

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
No radio messages in Creative mode. All resources are unlimited and you can do anything you want.

Yeah, you really should stop playing creative mode.

Hey, you might like this game (Breathedge):

hmmm... It is intriguing, but I'm not enjoying the "sense of humor" from what I've seen. Also don't think this will be as good as Subnautica.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, you really should stop playing creative mode.

hmmm... It is intriguing, but I'm not enjoying the "sense of humor" from what I've seen. Also don't think this will be as good as Subnautica.

True. I love that you can play the game in PC mode, then save it and fire it up in VR mode. :) I built my base in PC mode, then walked around inside of it in VR mode.