Star Wars VII - The Force Awakens

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
OMG LOL !!! <<<too funny >>> Star Wars veggies and to put it lightly or quickly , depending on the moment , personal gratification items !!!
Wow ,,,just wow ... Trek and Wars are done done done ,,,yikes ...Wonder if KK has a few in her purse ? ...

:SmileyLaughingTears:
May the Force be in You !!!

:shep_lol:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
.a Mandalorian with a lightsaber?

any one can use a lightsaber

and, if one had been paying attn to REBELS and a bit in the CLONE WARS, it was shown/discussed how mandalorians used light sabers and other energy weapons from time to time - like the Dark Saber

new Boba Fett standalone in the works. We know Jango was killed in the prequels, but Boba is still around.

and if they did make a boba fett stand alone, then someone would be on "oh cant we get some new characters/stories! why do we always have to have the same characters?"

the 'skywalker saga' and those in it is old news--tale told. over (or should be)

move on or don't make anything new SW's

and, may i add, you once disparaged the idea of a stand alone Fett movie :)

"Once the Disney parasite has infested it's host, it becomes a cow (of the cash dispensing species). This is Disney we are talking about here, pal! OF COURSE there will be a Boba Fett movie. Possibly a Jar Jar movie, a Jabba movie, perhaps R2D2 and C3P0 will spin off a stand up comedy show on the Disney Channel? Once Disney has a hold of something, they will milk it and milk it until the cow itself dies. Then, they butcher it up and sell it off"

https://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/star-wars-anthology-films-boba-fett.28056/

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and, the time setting is after Empire's end

by that time, there would be tons of old light sabers on the black market

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Maybe if they actually made movies worth seeing and weren't so cynical with the brand marketing they might actually sell some merchandise. But when they start selling Star Wars coleslaw it's time to hang it up.

And yes, I'm dead serious about the coleslaw. It's been marketed through Dole and I've even seen it in my own grocery store.

View attachment 34771

man, you guys have some sucky grocers if this stuff is still on the shelves!! expired a 'long, long time ago' :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
How did the First Order come into being? How the f*ck did Han and Leia mess things up so bad that their son Ben became Kylo? Why didn't Luke help his sister out raising Ben to keep him good? Why did Han leave her? How come the other Republic planets did not prevent The First Order from becoming a problem? How come the planets near the Starkiller Base did not know it was being built and destroy construction of the weapon?

i have answered this just as many times as you have asked it

once more and i'll begin to consider it trolling :)

it is all available in books (i know you read for backstory on other subjects) OR it is all available at a mere google search or just go to wookiepedia

one answer-- starkiller base was built in the Unknown Regions of the galaxy--areas never explored or inhabited by peoples from the galactic empire/republic worlds

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Starkiller_Base

the new republic did not do anything-or very little- to stop the first order mainly because its senate did not believe they were an issue and many did not even accept that they existed. many believed leia and or followers were just a bunch of ex -rebel military who did not want to give up power and were looking for an enemy to have the NR raise funds to build a new military

once the Hosnian system was destroyed and the NR senate and small defense force with it, mos tof the rest of the NR surrendered to the first order to avoid destruction

this is one reason why Leia and her 'all chic command group' were headed for the outer rim and whatever promised force was there to help out the resistance since all NR planets had surrendered

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/First_Order

but starkiller base was a dumb idea in the movies and too grandiose. leia and her gal pal's decision to basically sacrifice everyone just so Leia could get to the outer rim and hope that Luke returned, was even a far more idiotic an idea

i have answered this just as many times as you have asked it

once more and i'll begin to consider it trolling :)

it is all available in books (i know you read for backstory on other subjects) OR it is all available at a mere google search or just go to wookiepedia

one answer-- starkiller base was built in the Unknown Regions of the galaxy--areas never explored or inhabited by peoples from the galactic empire/republic worlds

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Starkiller_Base

the new republic did not do anything-or very little- to stop the first order mainly because its senate did not believe they were an issue and many did not even accept that they existed. many believed leia and or followers were just a bunch of ex -rebel military who did not want to give up power and were looking for an enemy to have the NR raise funds to build a new military

once the Hosnian system was destroyed and the NR senate and small defense force with it, mos tof the rest of the NR surrendered to the first order to avoid destruction

this is one reason why Leia and her 'all chic command group' were headed for the outer rim and whatever promised force was there to help out the resistance since all NR planets had surrendered

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/First_Order

but starkiller base was a dumb idea in the movies and too grandiose. leia and her gal pal's decision to basically sacrifice everyone just so Leia could get to the outer rim and hope that Luke returned, was even a far more idiotic an idea

You know the GateFans rule: If it doesn't happen on the screen it's not official!

The expectation that viewers/fans need to go to another source to get answers to basic plot questions is unacceptable. It's a big FAIL as movie making goes.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And I'll still maintain that despite the derivative plot The Force Awakens did its job. It relaunched things, avoided the mistakes of the prequels (terrible characterization, too much CGI, lifeless lightsaber work) and set up three new characters properly. Remember I have more ties into the SW fan community than most here and even with the fiasco of The Last Jedi they still generally like The Force Awakens.

The issue is really The Last Jedi. It was TLJ that made Rey into a full fledged Mary Sue. That treated Luke like garbage, that gave us the bizarre treatment of Finn and Poe , that just threw away the threads that TFW set up like they were nothing and so on.

The Empire Strikes Back picked up the threads from Star Wars and followed them, expanded them and fleshed out the whole story. The Last Jedi if anything was a copy of Star Trek Into Darkness but worse - which isn't easy.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The expectation that viewers/fans need to go to another source to get answers to basic plot questions is unacceptable. It's a big FAIL as movie making goes.

can you name me one successful and liked film that has not done this? they all have some kind of tie in book or video game that expands/ fleshes out the story

even ep 4 didn't have the backstory/full story in it that the novel did. yes, there were some deleted scenes- like when we see luke and his tattoine buddies at Toshi station and his watching the battle in orbit from the ground with some device. but all that is canon. i never recall anyone questioning the scene where he runs into Biggs on YAVIN 4 4 and they pick up like they never parted company yet biggs was never on screen before that.

and some of that stuff is available on screen--on the deleted scenes for TFA we see some of that republic senate unwilling to engage the first order

also, in battlefront 2, the cut scene story (canon) tells a lot of the story that is also covered in AFTERMATH trilogy but from a different perspective

i would love to see a much longer film that did have all of this in it, but we all know that will not happen. dull witted, action mongers would never stay in the theater for a film that long

the info is out there, sure it may not all be in the cut down to accepted for distro size and time format, but it is available. to go on saying that "i want to know...the info isnt there' etc, is just not true
'
there are tv shows on now where we dont get all of the backstory on the 'how and why's ' of how the situation shown got to be--that is the backstory is not there. but on these pages at gf's , when i have asked this its, 'there is a whole series of books, read them'

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It's a stock pic. I didn't bother to snap a pic when I saw it at the store. It was at a place called Meijer but I think they had the same stuff at Kroger/Pick N Save too.

' i know, i saw them wayyy back when. they were in every store that carries this brand and its parent company as well

and the FROZEN, TRANSFORMERS, JURASSIC PARK, etc,etc stuff. its mass marketing gone apeshit and is not confined to the star wars films

can you name me one successful and liked film that has not done this? they all have some kind of tie in book or video game that expands/ fleshes out the story

even ep 4 didn't have the backstory/full story in it that the novel did. yes, there were some deleted scenes- like when we see luke and his tattoine buddies at Toshi station and his watching the battle in orbit from the ground with some device. but all that is canon. i never recall anyone questioning the scene where he runs into Biggs on YAVIN 4 4 and they pick up like they never parted company yet biggs was never on screen before that.

and some of that stuff is available on screen--on the deleted scenes for TFA we see some of that republic senate unwilling to engage the first order

also, in battlefront 2, the cut scene story (canon) tells a lot of the story that is also covered in AFTERMATH trilogy but from a different perspective

i would love to see a much longer film that did have all of this in it, but we all know that will not happen. dull witted, action mongers would never stay in the theater for a film that long

the info is out there, sure it may not all be in the cut down to accepted for distro size and time format, but it is available. to go on saying that "i want to know...the info isnt there' etc, is just not true
'
there are tv shows on now where we dont get all of the backstory on the 'how and why's ' of how the situation shown got to be--that is the backstory is not there. but on these pages at gf's , when i have asked this its, 'there is a whole series of books, read them'

There's nothing wrong with an extended universe for these things but they are entertaining addendums to the main piece of work, not the core itself. The core is the original medium the piece was presented to the public in, i.e. movie, TV show, book. Star Wars has been presented as a set of movies, that's how the mass market primarily views the story. Canonical events have to appear in these movies otherwise the viewers will have no idea what the hell is going on. You can't have a successful movie series and at the same time blame people for not knowing pertinent info that was not included in the movies.

Let me be clear on this point: the onus for answering pertinent questions of canon is not on the moviegoer. That responsibility rests solely with the writers of the film.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That sorta thing would be a reason for me not to buy that particular product.
any one can use a lightsaber

and, if one had been paying attn to REBELS and a bit in the CLONE WARS, it was shown/discussed how mandalorians used light sabers and other energy weapons from time to time - like the Dark Saber

Yeah, but that was retCONned into the story using those cartoons. Even in Clone Wars, it showed us how the crystals have to come from a special enchanted cave which only strong Force users can enter. It seems in the movies that lightsabers are just another weapon you can grab in any armory.

and if they did make a boba fett stand alone, then someone would be on "oh cant we get some new characters/stories! why do we always have to have the same characters?"

the 'skywalker saga' and those in it is old news--tale told. over (or should be)

move on or don't make anything new SW's

and, may i add, you once disparaged the idea of a stand alone Fett movie :)

The point I am making is that they specifically said a "Boba Fett standalone". THEY said it. I couldn't care less about Boba Fett. :)

"Once the Disney parasite has infested it's host, it becomes a cow (of the cash dispensing species). This is Disney we are talking about here, pal! OF COURSE there will be a Boba Fett movie. Possibly a Jar Jar movie, a Jabba movie, perhaps R2D2 and C3P0 will spin off a stand up comedy show on the Disney Channel? Once Disney has a hold of something, they will milk it and milk it until the cow itself dies. Then, they butcher it up and sell it off"

https://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/star-wars-anthology-films-boba-fett.28056/

That pretty much sums it up! :) Seems they are at the part of that scenario where they have miked the cow till it got sick. Disney better start sharpening up that butcher knife, because a fanbase scorned can literally kill any franchise.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And I'll still maintain that despite the derivative plot The Force Awakens did its job. It relaunched things, avoided the mistakes of the prequels (terrible characterization, too much CGI, lifeless lightsaber work) and set up three new characters properly. Remember I have more ties into the SW fan community than most here and even with the fiasco of The Last Jedi they still generally like The Force Awakens.

Which three? Also, since it was basically re-doing A New Hope, it would by design avoid the pitfalls of the prequels. I know plenty of fans who were not that pleased with The Force Awakens, and still more who disliked it only after The Last Jedi. Most everyone I consider a Star Wars fan liked Rogue One, however.

The issue is really The Last Jedi. It was TLJ that made Rey into a full fledged Mary Sue. That treated Luke like garbage, that gave us the bizarre treatment of Finn and Poe , that just threw away the threads that TFW set up like they were nothing and so on.

The Last Jedi has killed Star Wars. It didn't just wound it, it did this to it:

FearfulElectricAdmiralbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

The Empire Strikes Back picked up the threads from Star Wars and followed them, expanded them and fleshed out the whole story. The Last Jedi if anything was a copy of Star Trek Into Darkness but worse - which isn't easy.

The Force Awakens was an imitation/re-imagining of A New Hope (Episode IV). Only making less sense.

Last edited:

I think you're too forgiving of The Force Awakens. You're right that it wasn't as bad as TLJ but it was still heavily flawed in parts. Rey's "Mary Sue-ness" was in full evidence by the time the movie reached the climactic scene where she magically knows how to wield a light saber and defeats a highly trained enemy. And let's not forget the insta-relationship she had with Han and Chewie and Leia. There was virtually no emotional development between her and those characters yet suddenly she inherits the Millennium Falcon and is shoehorned into a sentimental role that is unearned.

And we can't forget what should have been a touching moment between Leia and Chewie upon reuniting right after Han died. He had been her husband and Chewie's partner for a lifetime. So who does Leia console the moment they land? Not the Wookie that's been family for decades but rather, the new chick that she just met a couple days ago simply because JJ Abrams thought that was good storytelling. :rolleye0014:

These aren't small issues when it comes to TFA. Yes, there was some character development but there's no way TFA had the same clean lines and clear story telling that A New Hope had. Frankly, it's sad that Abrams had the simplistic New Hope template to work with yet he still managed to muck it up. What's worse is that Ruin Johnson took Abrams' story and turned it into a real dog's breakfast. I'm not sure the abomination that was The Last Jedi would have been possible without the flawed The Force Awakens.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
OMG ,,,the similarities is just bloody ridiculous or what !!!

CRAP COPY CAT MOVIE !!!
:tealc_new050: :tealc_new050: :tealc_new050:
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
:tealc-gun02::tealc-gun02::tealc-gun02:

I felt like I was watching a copy cat the whole time when my son forced me to take him to see it . He used the force ...

;)

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think you're too forgiving of The Force Awakens. You're right that it wasn't as bad as TLJ but it was still heavily flawed in parts. Rey's "Mary Sue-ness" was in full evidence by the time the movie reached the climactic scene where she magically knows how to wield a light saber and defeats a highly trained enemy. And let's not forget the insta-relationship she had with Han and Chewie and Leia. There was virtually no emotional development between her and those characters yet suddenly she inherits the Millennium Falcon and is shoehorned into a sentimental role that is unearned.

And we can't forget what should have been a touching moment between Leia and Chewie upon reuniting right after Han died. He had been her husband and Chewie's partner for a lifetime. So who does Leia console the moment they land? Not the Wookie that's been family for decades but rather, the new chick that she just met a couple days ago simply because JJ Abrams thought that was good storytelling. :rolleye0014:

These aren't small issues when it comes to TFA. Yes, there was some character development but there's no way TFA had the same clean lines and clear story telling that A New Hope had. Frankly, it's sad that Abrams had the simplistic New Hope template to work with yet he still managed to muck it up. What's worse is that Ruin Johnson took Abrams' story and turned it into a real dog's breakfast. I'm not sure the abomination that was The Last Jedi would have been possible without the flawed The Force Awakens.

^^^THIS. And for me, they started off in a WTF moment by just showing us Kylo Ren coming off that Imperial shuttle. Oops, I mean The First Order shuttle...silly me. :rolleye0014:. The stupid Darth Vader ripoff then is conducting an attack on Jakku and we realize that the events of The Return of the Jedi somehow failed and now the Empire is back...but wait, it isn't the Empire, its the First Order. Where are the Jedi? You mean Luke didn't bring them back and train new ones? Oh. And then there is Rey. Why Rey? Maybe she is a Skywalker. Enter Finn...why is there still a Stormtrooper force? I thought they were all defeated. It is meaningless that he "left" the Stormtroopers, when there shouldn't have been any by this time in the timeline. Why are there still "rebels" who represent the Republic?

The answer to all of that is that JJ Abrams cannot write fresh stories. What he does is watch the best of the movies and then dissects what he thinks are what makes them cool and stitches them together and stuffs in more stuff to make it seem different. With no Empire, he had to create one. Snoke is the stand-in for the Emperor, Kylo is Darth Vader, and even Yoda gets a knockoff in Maz Kanata. The clip I posted shows direct cinematic ripoffs, but we all saw them in the movie. The Force Awakens is a thinly veiled remake of A New Hope as far as story. Abrams did the same sort of thing with his pathetic Spoooock! scene in the 2009 ST movie. He is a hack, and TFA was nothing special.

I don't see The Force Awakens as being anything of higher quality than The Last Jedi at all.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG ,,,the similarities is just bloody ridiculous or what !!!

CRAP COPY CAT MOVIE !!!
:tealc_new050: :tealc_new050: :tealc_new050:
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
:tealc-gun02::tealc-gun02::tealc-gun02:

I felt like I was watching a copy cat the whole time when my son forced me to to take him to see it . He used the force ...

;)

I have yet to hear anyone rave about The Force Awakens. Perhaps the fan group Joelist knows is regional? I'm in California, and there are no cheering Star Wars fans here praising The Force Awakens. Most everyone I talked to thought it was either "okay" or saw through the story and realized it was a heavily disguised re-hashing of the story in A New Hope, with a few things switched around a bit. It did not feel epic like the first Star Wars movie, and felt less a part of the overall story than even the prequels did.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why do fans of this movie ignore the flaws? This video highlights EXACTLY what I noticed about the movie.