Star Trek's universal translator is pretty much here and (surprise!) it's made by Google

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I can believe that. But it'd be about time after 8 previous versions. (and that's not even counting the in between updates)
Windows 7 is awesome though. Also about time. :D

IE9 is indeed a different animal. For one thing, it is the only browser out there right now with full hardware acceleration on its graphics. Basically it offloads the page rendering to the GPU on your computer instead of the CPU. As a consequence it handles graphically intensive pages VERY fast. Here is a MSDN blog concerning it:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/...dware-acceleration-through-flying-images.aspx

On the flip side, it needs Direct X 11 to do this, do it only works its magic in Windows 7 or a Vista machine that has been bumped up to DX11. Likewise its performance will drop if running inside a Virtual Machine because it is doing direct offload to the GPU.

MS has had missteps, but IE8 and 9 running in Win 7 is pretty cool on PCs. In smartphones it is different - basically the Android Browser rules the performance and usability roosts, with the HTC mod of it being top dog.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Very well put! Nothing to add...everything you said is spot on. GREEN! :beckettu:

IE9 is indeed a different animal. For one thing, it is the only browser out there right now with full hardware acceleration on its graphics. Basically it offloads the page rendering to the GPU on your computer instead of the CPU. As a consequence it handles graphically intensive pages VERY fast. Here is a MSDN blog concerning it:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/...dware-acceleration-through-flying-images.aspx

On the flip side, it needs Direct X 11 to do this, do it only works its magic in Windows 7 or a Vista machine that has been bumped up to DX11. Likewise its performance will drop if running inside a Virtual Machine because it is doing direct offload to the GPU.

MS has had missteps, but IE8 and 9 running in Win 7 is pretty cool on PCs. In smartphones it is different - basically the Android Browser rules the performance and usability roosts, with the HTC mod of it being top dog.

G

Graybrew1

I so want a HTC Thunderbolt, that is my dream phone right now. :biggrin:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That explains why I am not familiar with it. I am contracted with Verizon till I die. But if you do get one, please let us know how you like it.

Verizon will be deploying Windows Phone 7 devices in a month or two IIRC.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This shows how Windows 7 Mobile looks.

That explains why I am not familiar with it. I am contracted with Verizon till I die. But if you do get one, please let us know how you like it.

Verizon will be deploying Windows Phone 7 devices in a month or two IIRC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdDAeyy1H0A

S

Stonelesscutter

You can give yourself an electric shock and die and then have someone else give you another electric shock and come back to life. I swear. I've seen it on tv.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You can give yourself an electric shock and die and then have someone else give you another electric shock and come back to life. I swear. I've seen it on tv.

Wasnt that a movie called "Flatliners"? :P

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
Actually IE has improved since the old days although I hate the layout at IE9 and I can't figure out how to make the tabs show like they used to show or other stuff. They are now at top, either at same line like the URL bar or under it depending on your settings. Also where is the wikipedia bar? IE8 had one for standalone searching, now it seems it is intergrated into the main search but I turned that off. But standalone search I can't see how to make that appear again.

S

Stonelesscutter

Actually IE has improved since the old days although I hate the layout at IE9 and I can't figure out how to make the tabs show like they used to show or other stuff. They are now at top, either at same line like the URL bar or under it depending on your settings. Also where is the wikipedia bar? IE8 had one for standalone searching, now it seems it is intergrated into the main search but I turned that off. But standalone search I can't see how to make that appear again.

What's the difference between main search and standalone search?
I've never used any searchbars by the way.

G

Graybrew1

Trust me , Verizon's contract would probably still hold up. :P :biggrin:

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
What's the difference between main search and standalone search?
I've never used any searchbars by the way.
What I meant actually is that it is integrated into the main URL field, Yeah, it searched from google when i typed in some word, automatically. I turned that off though.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Firefox 4.0(not 3.6) is still the best browser in the world! IE9 is a big improvement from IE7 but I still prefer, Firefox because I can block non sense ads :beckettu: plus I love the extensions that come with Firefox.