Star Trek TOS remastered is a treat to see and streaming on Netflix

S

Stonelesscutter

As someone else commented, at least the remastered version doesn't echo what Lucas did with the three original Star Wars movies by inserting entirely new stuff. (Thinks of jawas trying to control Tattooinian dinosaur thingies and being thrown around in the background in the process)

What's wrong with inserting new stuff into new movies?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
They didn't insert new stuff into new movies.

They inserted new stuff into three OLD movies.

Lucas redid the original three movies and then made the originals virtually impossible to get. I'm STUCK with his reimagined crap if I want to see them now.

I saw each of the first three movies when they were first released. When Star Wars wasn't "Episode 4: A New Hope", but a movie that stood on its own, and Princess Leia was a potential girlfriend and not a hidden fraternal twin sister.

S

Stonelesscutter

They didn't insert new stuff into new movies.

They inserted new stuff into three OLD movies.

Lucas redid the original three movies and then made the originals virtually impossible to get. I'm STUCK with his reimagined crap if I want to see them now.

I saw each of the first three movies when they were first released. When Star Wars wasn't "Episode 4: A New Hope", but a movie that stood on its own, and Princess Leia was a potential girlfriend and not a hidden fraternal twin sister.

I see. I guess I never saw the origal Star Wars movies. As far as I'm concerned they should completely redo episodes IV, V and VI in the style of episodes I, II and III. Not just upgrade the FX, completely rewrite the whole movies. Them older movies are hardly any fun to see at all after watching the newer ones which are AWESOME! Best thing about the older movies is the music, but that's in the new ones too.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I see. I guess I never saw the origal Star Wars movies. As far as I'm concerned they should completely redo episodes IV, V and VI in the style of episodes I, II and III. Not just upgrade the FX, completely rewrite the whole movies. Them older movies are hardly any fun to see at all after watching the newer ones which are AWESOME! Best thing about the older movies is the music, but that's in the new ones too.

Blasphemy! 1-3 were empty shells compared to the original epic trilogy. :P

SciphonicStranger

More than one dude :P

Thank you brother Gatefan. I knew I couldn't be the only one who feels this way about the prequels. Even with the extra CG stuff the original three movies blow them away. ;)

SciphonicStranger

Verily!

In regard to the prequels, one of the biggest mistakes they ever made was "allowing" Lucas to write the dialogue.

The man can't write a grocery list, much less dialogue.

Agreed, I found the dialogue way too stiff and awkward way too often. I also thought the prequels where desperately missing an "outsider" character. Someone equivalent to Han Solo in the epic original trilogy. :)

I think this thread has been derailed. Is there a Star Wars forum on the board where we can move this?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Thank you brother Gatefan. I knew I couldn't be the only one who feels this way about the prequels. Even with the extra CG stuff the original three movies blow them away. ;)

the "problem" is, back when SW was first done, it HAD to sell the story, not the eye candy. B5 was like that for me. I did not sit down and really watch it until about a year ago, and the CGI looked like it was ripped straight from "wing commander", yet the STORY sold me enough to watch it, same as SW 4-6. SW 1-3 just felt, oh, I dunno, "cheap"?. It was visually stunning sure, but the story just fell flat to me. :(

S

Stonelesscutter

Agreed, I found the dialogue way too stiff and awkward way too often. I also thought the prequels where desperately missing an "outsider" character. Someone equivalent to Han Solo in the epic original trilogy. :)

I think this thread has been derailed. Is there a Star Wars forum on the board where we can move this?

Don't you mean Hans Olo?

View attachment 5656

:D

S

Stonelesscutter

the "problem" is, back when SW was first done, it HAD to sell the story, not the eye candy. B5 was like that for me. I did not sit down and really watch it until about a year ago, and the CGI looked like it was ripped straight from "wing commander", yet the STORY sold me enough to watch it, same as SW 4-6. SW 1-3 just felt, oh, I dunno, "cheap"?. It was visually stunning sure, but the story just fell flat to me. :(

I disagree on the story point. I find the story of 1-3 more engrossing than the 4-6 eps. It's the deathstar, oooooooo.

SciphonicStranger

I disagree on the story point. I find the story of 1-3 more engrossing than the 4-6 eps. It's the deathstar, oooooooo.

I think you should put The Phantom Menace up on the Sensational Cinema thread and let the people decide. Go ahead, I dare 'ya... ;) :P

G

Graybrew1

I think the Star Wars comparison to Star Trek remastering is a valid point of argument, but if we wish to go into more about it, we should probably move to the Star Wars threads. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I do concur that this is better addressed in a dedicated Star Wars thread. We could spend a lot of posts pointing out the numerous problems in the Star Wars prequels.