Star Trek TOS remastered is a treat to see and streaming on Netflix

G

Graybrew1

I have been watching ST TOS on my Netflix since it has been remastered.
Talk about eye candy for a science fiction geek. I am already up to ep 5 now. I can't stop myself form watching them.

Happy Dance Time. :joy:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
And season 1, episode 8 is "What Are Little Girls Made Of...?" Sherry Jackon's episode. :)

G

Graybrew1

And season 1, episode 8 is "What Are Little Girls Made Of...?" Sherry Jackon's episode. :)

I know, I am looking forward to watching it. ;)

Anybody want to to do a mini rewatch for that with me?
I think it would be a great thing for the members to do and with the remastered eps, really amazing to see.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They are indeed. I have seen them and the remastering work actually goes waybeyond just digitizing them. Whole scenes were reshot with modern effects.

For an outstanding example look at "Doomsday Machine" in Season 2.

G

Graybrew1

They are indeed. I have seen them and the remastering work actually goes waybeyond just digitizing them. Whole scenes were reshot with modern effects.

I shall do that, but not until I reach it.;)
Netflix has them all streaming, I watch one or two at the end of the day, or anytime there is nothing else on.

I consider it the reason I am a science fiction fan.
It deserves for me to rewatch them all from the beginning to the end.:)

S

Stonelesscutter

Has it been remastered again? Or is this the remastering that already took place a couple of years ago? (I think)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The 2007 remastering is the one. That's where they redid a lot of the space scenes and also added vastly better matte backgrounds for scenic shots (like Vulcan in Amok Time).

S

Stonelesscutter

There's a lot of people that don't want the remastered versions but prefer the original ones.

G

Graybrew1

There's a lot of people that don't want the remastered versions but prefer the original ones.

Really why?

It is not like the actors came back and reshot the scenes.
I guess they just don't like the good quality visuals? :confused:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
They did not insert Jar Jar Binks or AT-AT walkers from The Empire Strikes Back so the remastering is working for me. :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Basically they are the Trek equivalent of ancestor worship. They treat TOS like some sort of weird sacred cow that cannot be improved on.

Having seen these episodes both old and remastered, the remasters are nice to watch. The more the episode is set in space or in outdoor places the more the reshooting and such improves things. Obviously for some episodes set almost totally in a single set the effect is less but even there the remastering gives sharper images and better color definition with radically less graininess.

G

Graybrew1

Oh, Another Purist thing?

I grew up watching the reruns. I loved them. I loved watching these now. I don't really get why people look at things like that, but to each his own.
I will still sing the praises of it. I assume the purists have already been watching them on their VCR's. :PThis is great for those of us that like tech savy stuff and are not purists.:cool:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Good call Joelist!

OMG, I just watched The Doomsday Machine on Netflix and I think the remastering is terrific. It was a great episode before but the new special effects really add to the epicness. ;)

And I must say, Scotty hanging on the chained linked fence in the engine room never gets old. :P

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
I know some people have issues with the quality of the new effects, but the TOS-R team was caught in a Catch-22: if they made the new effects to the same standard as the newer Trek shows, people would complain about it and if they made the effects in a way that would match the 60s style, people would complain about it. I think the team made the right choice going for the 60s style because the modern effects style would probably clash terribly with the footage of the actors due to the somewhat cheesy aesthetics of TOS's live action bits.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually I haven't heard anyone complain about the quality of the effects. The complaints always seem to be more about veneration of TOS and how somehow the episodes are "mutlilated" by updating some of the visuals. Me, I like what was done. No dialogue or plot was changed even an iota - all that the remastering did was enhance the space shots and some of the matte scenes.

S

Stonelesscutter

For the record. I wasn't saying that I don't like the remastered version. I haven't even seen it. I'm just aware that there are lots of people that don't appreciate it for whatever reason they may have.

G

Graybrew1

For the record. I wasn't saying that I don't like the remastered version. I haven't even seen it. I'm just aware that there are lots of people that don't appreciate it for whatever reason they may have.

I understand that, but I just take a bit of issue to this term, it is somewhat of a overgeneralization. Who are these "lots of people"?:confused:

S

Stonelesscutter

I understand that, but I just take a bit of issue to this term, it is somewhat of a overgeneralization. Who are these "lots of people"?:confused:

Those lots of people where people that commented on a certain torrent I know of asking if it was the original original series and not the remastered version. They were all happy that it was the non-remastered version. So that's how I know.

G

Graybrew1

Those lots of people where people that commented on a certain torrent I know of asking if it was the original original series and not the remastered version. They were all happy that it was the non-remastered version. So that's how I know.

Okay, fair enough.;)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
As someone else commented, at least the remastered version doesn't echo what Lucas did with the three original Star Wars movies by inserting entirely new stuff. (Thinks of jawas trying to control Tattooinian dinosaur thingies and being thrown around in the background in the process)