Star Trek TOS: General Discussion Thread

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
love the pic

Love the pic....., too funny!

What can i say? i am a trekkie from '67...loved that show since I first saw it at 5. (daddy liked the miniskirts ;)) It spawned my love of good scifi and began the long road to scifi obsession with me. would I love stargate without the introduction to scifi of ST? :)

Drax1971

GateFans Noob
I love the original series and I just finished watching my DVDs again. Even when it was BAD (Spock's Brain, Plato's Stepchildren) it was still enjoyable. Will anyone enthuse over SGPoo in forty years time? Unlikely.

F

Frumenta

Agewise TNG should be my Trek and it was the first Trek I watched but I've always liked TOS better.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh my...TOS is like the Vatican of Trek

Star Trek started serious science fiction TV for me. It differed from all the others because of two things: the alien character Spock, and the military/science connection of Starfleet. The technologies of Trek seemed somehow achievable, but still squarely in the realm of "future tech". I have seen so many of the Trek technologies become a reality since 1966! Yes, I know the sets were cheesy and the show looks very basic and campy when looked at today...but in its time it was considered cutting edge. :)

At the time, there were complete schematics created by the show and by fans and each deck, every area on the ship was committed to blueprints that any fan could order. The Trekkie phenomena is what brought Trek back as a movie 10 years after TOS ended, and then spawned all the awesome Trek that has come after. It is the science fiction TV series model against which all others are measured.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
At the time you could get away with painted plywood sets because the show was watched once or maybe later in re-run on a 20" colour TV tube if you were an early adopter and actually had a colour TV. Some of the candy colours were no doubt camped up for the new colour TV novelty.

And of course anything with an overlay was pretty interesting. Remember the horrible zoomed galaxy comps with Frank Gorshin as the half white/black guy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_That_Be_Your_Last_Battlefield You had to indeed be on acid to get that one.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
At the time you could get away with painted plywood sets because the show was watched once or maybe later in re-run on a 20" colour TV tube if you were an early adopter and actually had a colour TV. Some of the candy colours were no doubt camped up for the new colour TV novelty.

And of course anything with an overlay was pretty interesting. Remember the horrible zoomed galaxy comps with Frank Gorshin as the half white/black guy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_That_Be_Your_Last_Battlefield You had to indeed be on acid to get that one.

Most of the clothes, sets and props look cheesey as hell up close. We (snookie and I) went to the air and space musem at the smithsonian when she was 10 or so and they had sets from TOS, props, and costumes. The klingon's "cool" uniforms were horrible! Thin knit and painted faux leather (with a metallic paint no less), the gorgeous dresses of the female characters were terrible, even the captain's chair looked awful. but heck with the tvs of the time it looked so COOL! :P

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Most of the clothes, sets and props look cheesey as hell up close. We (snookie and I) went to the air and space musem at the smithsonian when she was 10 or so and they had sets from TOS, props, and costumes. The klingon's "cool" uniforms were horrible! Thin knit and painted faux leather (with a metallic paint no less), the gorgeous dresses of the female characters were terrible, even the captain's chair looked awful. but heck with the tvs of the time it looked so COOL! :P

Well having grown up in the 80's, I can happily say that it didn't look in anyway cool - didn't stop it being mighty entertaining though :D

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Well having grown up in the 80's, I can happily say that it didn't look in anyway cool - didn't stop it being mighty entertaining though :D

LMAO..the 80's the decade of big shoulderpads and even bigger hair! :P nawww in the 60's & 70's TOS looked COOL. But then in the 80's TNG didn't look cool at all, IMHO. I liked the uniforms from Wrath of Khan much better. :D

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

LMAO..the 80's the decade of big shouldrpads and even bigger hair! :P nawww in the 60's & 70's TOS looked COOL. But then in the 80's TNG didn't look cool at all, IMHO. I liked the uniforms from Wrath of Khan much better. :D

ST II is & always has been my favourite Trek film.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
ST II is & always has been my favourite Trek film.

Mine too. I always felt Ricardo Montalban should have gotten an acadamy award (or atleast a nomination) for his delciously insane portrayal of Khan. :D

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Mine too. I always felt Ricardo Montalban should have gotten an acadamy award (or atleast a nomination) for his delciously insane portrayal of Khan. :D

You just loved his mullet & bare, shaven chest :P

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
ST II

icon7.gif
Absolutlely .
icon7.gif

Now someone said that he was wearing a fake chest for the movie to give him that super human look . Is that true or was he buffed for the part . My wife thinks it is all makeup effect's and I may have to agree with her on this point .

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
You just loved his mullet & bare, shaven chest :P
:P we had a hilarious time at the premier....we were sitting in a packed movie theater when the credits began roll, ricardo montalban name rolled accross the screen and someone in the audience, witha perfect imitation of tattoo from Fantasy island, yells out "de plane, de plane"- the laughter was thunderous.

icon7.gif
Absolutlely .
icon7.gif

Now someone said that he was wearing a fake chest for the movie to give him that super human look . Is that true or was he buffed for the part . My wife thinks it is all makeup effect's and I may have to agree with her on this point .

your wife is wrong-- it was all Montalban. he took great pride in discussing how many hours a day he had to work out to get those muscles. He was always naturally athletic (a dancer in the 50's), but he bulked up for the role. yeah i know head full of useless info.......

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
:P we had a hilarious time at the premier....we were sitting in a packed movie theater when the credits began roll, ricardo montalban name rolled accross the screen and someone in the audience, witha perfect imitation of tattoo from Fantasy island, yells out "de plane, de plane"- the laughter was thunderous.

your wife is wrong-- it was all Montalban. he took great pride in discussing how many hours a day he had to work out to get those muscles. He was always naturally athletic (a dancer in the 50's), but he bulked up for the role. yeah i know head full of useless info.......

Indeed. I remember reading that myth in Leonard Nimoy's book "I am Spock" and LN being envious of Ricardo's Pecs, which as Rac80 says, were all him.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You gotta hand it to Ricarddo Montalban - he never mailed his performance in. No matter the role (remember him as the circus owner in the Planet of the Apes films?) he always gave it his best.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

You gotta hand it to Ricarddo Montalban - he never mailed his performance in. No matter the role (remember him as the circus owner in the Planet of the Apes films?) he always gave it his best.

Haha! I only just watched that film last month - I liked that character........ pity he became a pavement pizza.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

yep we have those films in our collection. He acted opposite some of the best actresses of the time from Shelly winters to Cyd Charisse. (who always said he was one of the most graceful men she had ever danced with...and she had danced with the best!) He played just about every nationality there was.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
yep we have those films in our collection. He acted opposite some of the best actresses of the time from Shelly winters to Cyd Charisse. (who always said he was one of the most graceful men she had ever danced with...and she had danced with the best!) He played just about every nationality there was.

Too Fucking funny not to comment.
The kids are watching "Dora the Explorer" right now, and guess who the special guest voice is for today. Yep, Ricardo Montalban.
Hows that for synergy :P