Space Brothers

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Geez man, there are only around 20 eps and one movie!!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Geez man, there are only around 20 eps and one movie!!

Thats a lot. :) It does not grab me long enough to want to marathon them like the Clone Wars did. I would watch them until I could not stay awake any longer.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
the eps are 25 mins long FFS!!!

Its all about the mood....I should just marathon them tomorrow. :) I have been off work since Dec 23 (paid) and tomorrow is Last Day (back to work Monday). Why not?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Turn off the lights, concentrate on the story, and don't care it is a "cartoon"

Whatever it takes, just watch it in total, it's a great series.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I'm up to ep 36 of Space brothers and I noticed that there habitat is already on the moon . A thought came to mind this morning as I was thinking about how the habitats arrived on the moon before the crew and were placed so neatly together . They also look like solid material . I came up with a solution for the real world habitat forming on distant planets or our own that is quite easy and with a little bit of molecular tweaking could work . The Habitats would be inflatable . Yes . small self contained space craft that are actually inflatable habitat's . But that's not all . The habitat would have all the water and life support on board within itself .
So your thinking a silly inflatable would not work because of micro meteors that would cut through it easily or damage from the environment that it is on . My idea is this . You change the molecular material of the habit bubble dome to become as hard as carbon firbre by adding a gas or a certain electrical charge to the material which would make it a viable safe living space all contained in a little package with it's own landing controls etc !!! It could handle serious storms also as the dome design has been proven on earth to withstand tornadoes with ease .

I think it could work with a bit of science done on a molecular scale .

Or have they already done this and I'm just reintegrating something that exist's !!!

:) :) :)

Last edited:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Oh yes! Actually, it was Illiterati who told me about it. She had created a forum for it and I asked her what it was. I have watched scattered episodes of it. Lots of good storytelling and action. But I would never compare it to anything live action.
Sorry mate, but there are animes with better storytelling than a lot of live shows; that's silly to think otherwise. For example, I'd consider Space Brothers to have better storytelling and better characters than SGU and BSG.
I'm up to ep 36 of Space brothers and I noticed that there habitat is already on the moon . A thought came to mind this morning as I was thinking about how the habitats arrived on the moon before the crew and were placed so neatly together . They also look like solid material . I came up with a solution for the real world habitat forming on distant planets or our own that is quite easy and with a little bit of molecular tweaking could work . The Habitats would be inflatable . Yes . small self contained space craft that are actually inflatable habitat's . But that's not all . The habitat would have all the water and life support on board within itself .
So your thinking a silly inflatable would not work because of micro meteors that would cut through it easily or damage from the environment that it is on . My idea is this . You change the molecular material of the habit bubble dome to become as hard as carbon firbre by adding a gas or a certain electrical charge to the material which would make it a viable safe living space all contained in a little package with it's own landing controls etc !!! It could handle serious storms also as the dome design has been proven on earth to withstand tornadoes with ease .

I think it could work with a bit of science done on a molecular scale .

Or have they already done this and I'm just reintegrating something that exist !!!

I guess you're sort of thinking of this: Something that has a trigger to change its shape, kinda like the memory cloth cape from Batman Begins, but thinking you're saying on a more metallic/intermetallic type.

The inflatable would need something to fill up the space when it is inflated. There would be a pressure difference, might make it collapse. In space, you're more subject to solar radiation and other forms of radiation which might mess with the triggering mechanism for the molecular inflatable material you are using. There's also the problem of figuring out the solid state physics for such a material in the first place. Why not go for something collapsible instead? Like your ikea furniture stuff, something that can be put together when you get there, section by section.

Another important part of space habitats is to modularize it. What I mean is that you want to create smaller individual units that can be put together so you can add or take away from the general structure whenever you choose. Here's an example: http://i.usatoday.net/tech/graphics/iss_timeline/flash.htm

The ISS wasn't put together all at once; it was made and things were added and taken away. If one of the sections gets damaged, at least it won't bring down the rest of the thing. That one section could be replaced and the whole habitat will remain intact.

I'm not hassling you or anything man; I actually love that you brought up something like this cause it fosters conversation in the first place. That kind of intelligent conversation is rare these days, especially the creativity behind your idea or any creativity at all. I think your inflatable thing or chemical structure changing material idea sorta only works on a small scale but not on larger scale structures.

What do you think about underground structures instead? Although the digging machinery needed might be too cumbersome to bring to the moon.... I really like Muta's ideas in this show; he has some clever ideas/innovations.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
You know what Tripler, your idea could work if you make a crystal-like structure thing with the transformation molecule things. You'd have triangular or some other polygonal frames and your molecules within the frames, then have a whole bunch of these put together. Then you can facilitate and direct whatever triggering mechanism you wanna use by going through the crystalline framework. That could work! Maybe....

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Good reply . These structures could be of any size and as they did on the moon , they would become buried to protect them against radiation . As I stated before , they would be inflated somehow with compressed air or heat or a chemical gas such as helium . Then the molecular shape of the dome would be transformed by solar electrical or chemical change in the dome atmosphere itself to make the dome rigid and hard . The material would have to be flexible first similar to what we see with outdoor all year round inflatable tents then transform into a super solid structure like half an egg shell or even a full eggshell shape . The material has to become a solid structure . How one would do that ? I'm not sure but if they could change a flexible material into something stronger than steel , then it would save them having to build vessels and solid structures weather in space or on earth . For cost reasons it cant be like the ISS . It has to be a separate contained self propelled unit , unmanned of course with robotic navigation or controlled from a remote location either on earth , space , the moon or mars . Even from orbit above a planet . The space crew could remotely land the habitats , wait for them to form ,inflate then they could land after things are all peachy and move right on in . And yes they could do multiple units and join them together all roboticly without humans having to step in .
This is all fantasy on my part as I have zero science background other than coming up with crazy ideas now and then lol .

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Just finished watching the last ep 99 this morning . What a wonderful story . I hope there will be more but if this is all then it ended perfectly . For animé it was a very gripping story with a lot of humour added in as Mutta san is a bit of a doofus lol . If I were an animé character then I would have been him lol .

,,, If you watch the show then you will be able to translate this エイリアン

Highly recommend it and thanks to mzzz for posting this and getting me hooked on Space Brothers

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Glad you liked it! Damn you ate through that quick.
Sharon's plight and decaying health made me really sad. I hope that doctor girl gets to go to ISS and hopefully develop a cure. I hope the brothers are able to build a telescope on the moon for her. I just really felt bad for her. That episode where both the brothers got her the same present, a lighter touch keyboard piano was really touching. There were a lot of touching moments in this show, I loved it.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Found this today . And it has the inflatable living quarters for the moon I was talking about lol . They beat me to it ... :) :) :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I still liked Firefly's storytelling better. Even if it had only the one season they did a superb job of building an immersive world and populating it with characters that drew you in.

As to anime, I always liked these two the best:

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Star Blazers................
Mmmm gotta love a wave motion cannon.
I recall Omni posted some footage from the LA version (Space Battleship Yamato) a few years ago.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Live Action film was good up until the ending which stunk royally. The filmmakers stupidly used an ending the anime originally used for the second series (Comet Empire) but the fan reaction was so negative to it that they actually refilmed the last episodes of that serial and wrote a different ending.