SILO on APPLE TV

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I waited until I watched the entire 10 ep season before I made the thread, just to be sure that nothing went 'wonky' after I posted that it was a worthy show to watch.

So, it IS a very worth your while show to watch.

Apparently there is a book series that I know nothing about and I did not look it up or watch any compare and contrast videos. I am just going with what I have seen onscreen.

First off, great acting and very good actors old and new. Tim Robbins and Iain Glenn are the old, known actors who both do great roles in this. Rebecca Ferguson, a Swedish actress who I see has been in several Mission Impossible movies as well as the new Dune movie, plays a lead role. Common also plays a major role and is very convincing as a "enforcer" type of guy. And a actor I never heard of, Chinaza Uche.

The basic premise- ""Set in a dystopian future where a community exists in a giant underground silo comprising 144 levels, 10,000 people live in a society bound by regulations they believe are meant to protect them. The community thrives without knowing their history, as records were supposedly destroyed 140 years earlier during a failed uprising.""

they have very little tech.. no cameras, no radios or other commo devices other than the ones used by Law Enforcement; no elevators or other powered means of going up and down through the levels. They have computers, but no TVs. The computers appear to operate on a late 1980's early 1990's DOS type of system but maybe with better hardware? It is almost as if the original group of Silo inhabitants entered in the 1990's with tech as is - maybe they entered as part of some Doomsday cult? They never intended to re-emerge, hence the massive control

the way the place is run, the way its government is set up, doesn't feel like it was built and set up by any actual Government. more like it was set up by some private group or corporation...

the levels include the lowest level where they mine for things like iron ore and other minerals, where fresh water is extracted. other levels are nothing but food production under UV lights; wheat, corn, vegetables. Another level doubles as both cemetery and fruit orchard

the power for the Silo is a massive generator powered by geo thermal.

there is one external camera outside the Silo's entrance monitoring the same scene day and night. the top level has an actual window where people can see the stars at night but they don't know what they are or what they are called, just 'lights at night'

no books from before. any books found are contraband

if someone says they want to go outside, it is considered major crime and can not e taken back. the person is suited up in an environmental suit and 'sent out to clean' . clean the lens of the camera "so that we may see when the world is safe for us to go out"

but there is NO effort or monitoring program in place to check on the outside environment, at least none shown. when a person goes out, they see a much diff picture, one with blue skies green grass and birds, soon after they collapse and die (??)

after a few of these incidents, a new sheriff is appointed to investigate why ppl asked to go out as well as a murder, then more happens.....

its defi sci fi, as is seen through revelations along the way. the sci fi is in the questions you are left with

S2 already written pre writers strike. no release date planned yet

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZYhuvIv1pA

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
anyone check this out yet?

i think that IF they do S2 right, it could be some of the best sci fi/future fiction on TV in awhile

it is based on a series of books, which i have not read or know anything about

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I have just watched the first season. I found it interesting to watch. I'm not exactly blown away though. (to be honest, I was blown away with Foundation) Will look forward to second season. Hope it won't take long to arrive.

Is it just me, or is the level with the corn field WAY larger than the other levels in the silo? Also, there's been talk of a mining level, which hasn't been shown yet, but how the heck would that work in this premise, because I don't think it can?

So, what do you think is going to happen with the former sheriff? I'm thinking she will wander over to one of the silos next door, they will let her in. Eventually, it will turn out that the silos are interconnected with those big doors down below (the hidden one), and she will make it back into her original silo.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
is the level with the corn field WAY larger than the other levels in the silo
could be, that level may have been built "bowed out" for more space or its just perception since it is all one thing in it and seems larger due to that

there's been talk of a mining level
the entire bottom is opened with the water, so the mining is probably a floor or two up from that guessing they access through doors out into mining tunnels?

The other silos. they all could be different projects/experiments couldn't they?

'our' silo is one in which a long term semi democratic govt with a large heavy handed security apparatus

another is total anarchy (not chaos just anarcho govt)

another is a dictatorship

etc,etc,etc All being observed by some central location which at some point will determine which system will be best for all of humanity

or...something

------------------------
NOW wouldn't it be interesting if someone, anyone had the imagination to tie in the two stories- one like FOUNDATION and SILO?

Where we have our deep future where humans are so widespread, they have forgotten Earth,, tied to the events of their past, in SILO, where that future had its beginnings thousands of years prior.. I think that would be very interesting

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, that could be interesting.

I think given the size of the corn level, and the final scene of the season, that level would at least touch the surrounding silos, and if they all had such a level, they would overlap. Unless they are at differing heights of course. But still, it's not properly scaled I think. Also, wouldn't there be a hole in the middle of the corn level to allow them to pass up or down? Kinda weird. And structurally it also doesn't make sense, as it's a big open space somewhere in the middle of a hundreds of stories construction. It would need to hold up a ton of weight, yet there are no pillars.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

I think given the size of the corn level, and the final scene of the season, that level would at least touch the surrounding silos, and if they all had such a level, they would overlap. Unless they are at differing heights of course. But still, it's not properly scaled I think. Also, wouldn't there be a hole in the middle of the corn level to allow them to pass up or down? Kinda weird. And structurally it also doesn't make sense, as it's a big open space somewhere in the middle of a hundreds of stories construction. It would need to hold up a ton of weight, yet there are no pillars.
maybe all floors are externally supported? idk, i am no engineer :)

maybe it works like the gravity on the ships on Star Trek? ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

and yet again, and yet another show WE find ourselves thinking more about things then the creative staff did/does? :) :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
NOW wouldn't it be interesting if someone, anyone had the imagination to tie in the two stories- one like FOUNDATION and SILO?

Where we have our deep future where humans are so widespread, they have forgotten Earth,, tied to the events of their past, in SILO, where that future had its beginnings thousands of years prior.. I think that would be very interesting
EDIT--

same idea,, but add in another show and its narrative/premise into the time order

SILO--- 1899--- FOUNDATION

@Lord Ba'al

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You trying to trick me. This is a Netflix show.
and hence the core of why this website, GF's, is dead. everyone is too cynical, and jaded from the 'whatevers' of the past to listen to anything that any of us say even though we have known each other for so long

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I don't know why it's necessary to call me cynical and jaded. Although maybe I am. I don't know, but I don't think I am. I thought you were suggesting a cross-over between various Apple TV shows. Went to look for 1899 on Apple TV, couldn't find it. Went to IMDb, there was a small Netflix logo on one of the images. Watched the first episode. Didn't like it much to be honest. Not sure if I'll continue yet. I'm getting kind of a Lost-like mysterious vibe from it. A kind of spookiness. Quite gloomy overall.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I got a chance finally to see how this is - I call it worth a watch. Rebecca Ferguson as usual is excellent and the story moves albeit slowly. I am assuming you're referring to SILO.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I got a chance finally to see how this is - I call it worth a watch. Rebecca Ferguson as usual is excellent and the story moves albeit slowly. I am assuming you're referring to SILO.
I'm not sure which previous comment you're mention of "I'm assuming you're referring to SILO" relates to. If it was my comment directly above yours, then that one was not about SILO, but about 1899. I did enjoy the first season of SILO though. Looking forward to more.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
and hence the core of why this website, GF's, is dead. everyone is too cynical, and jaded from the 'whatevers' of the past to listen to anything that any of us say even though we have known each other for so long
Perhaps the better, less abrasive choice is to simply let everyone express themselves however they please and just add your opinion to the conversation instead of attacking another's differing opinion? If I have an unpopular opinion, I might still want to express it even though I know that others disagree with it. As long as my opinion isn't an opinion about THEIR opinion as they express it, then we are having a conversation. When my opinion is a negative opinion about their opinion, then we have a confrontation. There is a world of difference there.
Proud Jack Black GIF by ABC Network

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Perhaps the better, less abrasive choice is to simply let everyone express themselves however they please and just add your opinion to the conversation instead of attacking another's differing opinion? If I have an unpopular opinion, I might still want to express it even though I know that others disagree with it. As long as my opinion isn't an opinion about THEIR opinion as they express it, then we are having a conversation. When my opinion is a negative opinion about their opinion, then we have a confrontation. There is a world of difference there.
I agree with this. I do watch and read a lot of stuff and even play a fair number of games (boardgames more than computer games). I even like to create reviews of them, but those reviews are ultimately opinions. I don't like having arguments over this stuff as what we have in common is typically more important than what we do not. I don't have to agree with an opinion to respect the person holding it.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
I agree with this. I do watch and read a lot of stuff and even play a fair number of games (boardgames more than computer games). I even like to create reviews of them, but those reviews are ultimately opinions. I don't like having arguments over this stuff as what we have in common is typically more important than what we do not. I don't have to agree with an opinion to respect the person holding it.
We are here at the same time now! LOL.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
the issue is, there are NO opinions left here