Robin Williams Dies

B

Backstep

Please as an honor to yourself, make a list of the chemical names (generic names) of every medication you are taking and LOOK THEM UP. Look thoroughly at side effects, clinical trials, write-ups on the drugs which are not associated or sponsored by the people who make them. Ask your doctor why you are taking them. 10 meds is a LOT. Even half that is a LOT. These meds are accumulating in your body and they are either helping or only seeming to help symptoms you may really have, or are caused by the meds themselves. I am not saying they are harmful, but I am saying they are artificial and not meant to exist.

I am obviously not a doctor. :) But I do know that every single artificial drug made by Man is something inferior to whatever treatment Nature has created for the same condition. The last medication I had prescribed to me was Nexium in 2007. I was "diagnosed" with Acid Reflux Disease which is just a fancy way of saying "chronic heartburn". I weighed 260 pounds at the time and also had bouts with "sleep apnea". Only when that same doctor told me I was pre-diabetic and that I was going to be prescribed high blood pressure medications did I bother to say to myself "Wait, George! Something is not right here". I looked him in the eye and told him I was not going to take medication and asked him what my options were. His answer was simply "lose that extra weight". He gave no recommendations as to how, but I found Atkins and successfully lost the weight. But guess what...the loss of weight "cured" the sleep apnea, the chronic heartburn, the high blood pressure, reversed the pre-diabetic condition, the chronic fatigue...it was magic. :) I went further and saw increases in blood testosterone, lowering of bad cholesterol, higher energy, healthier skin hair and nails. Im 180-185lbs today.

Just sayin....

Develop neuropathy then get back to me. Having both pinched nerves and diabetes. I did not become diabetic from being obese or lethargic, diabetes runs on both sides of my family. You might have forgot I was a medic and have a better knowledge of meds than most(said I was picky about the meds I would take)

Obesity is self inflected and easily cured. The bulk of the rushed to market meds are for self inflected disorders.(this med can cure your food fetish, but can cause you to have a heart attack plus uncontrollable anal leakage) If those are the meds you're going on about, then I agree.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Develop neuropathy then get back to me. Having both pinched nerves and diabetes. I did not become diabetic from being obese or lethargic, diabetes runs on both sides of my family. You might have forgot I was a medic and have a better knowledge of meds than most(said I was picky about the meds I would take)

Obesity is self inflected and easily cured. The bulk of the rushed to market meds are for self inflected disorders.(this med can cure your food fetish, but can cause you to have a heart attack plus uncontrollable anal leakage) If those are the meds you're going on about, then I agree.

Ah...I was unaware of that. I am unfamiliar with neuropathy. I did forget that you were a medic. I am glad you are being picky, and I realize that you must already be investigating your meds. :) My experience was from becoming obese, then becoming normal again. During the obesity period (about 2 years), my doctor was prescribing meds to "manage" the myriad ailments that come with being obese (sleep apnea, high blood pressure, lethargy, difficulty breathing when exerting oneself, etc). The REAL solution was simply losing the weight, and my doctor did not recommend that until I flat refused to take the meds. I became aware of his relationships with Novartis and Pfiser when I came during a visit from the representative for Pfiser (a very hot blonde btw!). Doctors get a kickback for prescribing the drugs promoted by these companies, and they will not likely recommend a course of action which does not make them money. Even veterinarians are going this route now!

You see that I am very cynical about the healthcare industry now. Who to trust? I do not trust the FDA, any of the companies in Big Pharma, and now I no longer take my doctor's advice at face value. I am very healthy today because I became proactive in my personal health, not because of anything my doctor did. But that does not really apply in your case. I have no chronic ailments, but high blood pressure and strokes run in my family. Every male in my family on my father's side has died from a stroke. I want to die of old age. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
In the western world, comedians (not comedic actors necessarily) are one of the groups where depression runs in rivers. Seems that some of the most depressed ppl have a great knack for making others relaxed and laugh-which they cannot do for themselves

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
In the western world, comedians (not comedic actors necessarily) are one of the groups where depression runs in rivers. Seems that some of the most depressed ppl have a great knack for making others relaxed and laugh-which they cannot do for themselves

Actually it is thought among psychologists/pyschiatrists that highly creative people are more prone to be bi-polar or have some other mental disorder. From Van Gogh to Hemmingway - the "tortured artist" is an ever-present theme. so does mental illness = great talent? not neccesarily but many comedians make a great living off it - a comedian named Cletus T. Judd (the weird al of country music) had a comic cd called Bipolar and loving it.

one of the biggest problems when dealing with mental illness (from the outside) is medication compliance....many patients will go off their meds (cloudy thinking & lethargy are the two most common complaints) and then begin a spiral into drugs and alcohol to try to "manage" their condition.

Mr Rac's bipolar sister lived with us for 5 years- why? because she would not stay on her meds and stay stable. she somehow lost her teaching license over that (still trying to figure that one out) and was suicidal. we had some rules for her to live with us (did not want to be pulled into her cycle of insanity :P ) #1 being stay on your meds and #2 being seeing a competent therapist (oh the stories I could tell abt what constitutes a therapiust in Califiornia! :P ) while living with us. she stablized and after 5 years was able to move out on her own.

many things can affect how well your medications work - for my sister-in-law it was menopause - once she hit it, it took a number of years to find a med that worked. A gal i know is having serious problems with her severe depression because she got really sick last year - had pneumonia- got her system out of whack and her meds stopped working. It's a challenge for her to find something else that works.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Actually it is thought among psychologists/pyschiatrists that highly creative people are more prone to be bi-polar or have some other mental disorder. From Van Gogh to Hemmingway - the "tortured artist" is an ever-present theme. so does mental illness = great talent? not neccesarily but many comedians make a great living off it - a comedian named Cletus T. Judd (the weird al of country music) had a comic cd called Bipolar and loving it.

one of the biggest problems when dealing with mental illness (from the outside) is medication compliance....many patients will go off their meds (cloudy thinking & lethargy are the two most common complaints) and then begin a spiral into drugs and alcohol to try to "manage" their condition.

Mr Rac's bipolar sister lived with us for 5 years- why? because she would not stay on her meds and stay stable. she somehow lost her teaching license over that (still trying to figure that one out) and was suicidal. we had some rules for her to live with us (did not want to be pulled into her cycle of insanity :P ) #1 being stay on your meds and #2 being seeing a competent therapist (oh the stories I could tell abt what constitutes a therapiust in Califiornia! :P ) while living with us. she stablized and after 5 years was able to move out on her own.

many things can affect how well your medications work - for my sister-in-law it was menopause - once she hit it, it took a number of years to find a med that worked. A gal i know is having serious problems with her severe depression because she got really sick last year - had pneumonia- got her system out of whack and her meds stopped working. It's a challenge for her to find something else that works.

I was just saying that as a sub set, comedians, or just ppl who are routinely funny and engage in seeing to it that others are entertained, seem to have a higher rate of depression then those ppl who are more self centered/ traditionally oriented (towards other ppl)

As far as meds, I think that they are way too overused and very little attn is paid by the prescriber to other health issues; they also have a tendency to believe that one med will work well on everyone and forget their own training in that every person is an individual-physically, emotionally and mentally

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was just saying that as a sub set, comedians, or just ppl who are routinely funny and engage in seeing to it that others are entertained, seem to have a higher rate of depression then those ppl who are more self centered/ traditionally oriented (towards other ppl)

As far as meds, I think that they are way too overused and very little attn is paid by the prescriber to other health issues; they also have a tendency to believe that one med will work well on everyone and forget their own training in that every person is an individual-physically, emotionally and mentally

The fun begins when you ask your doctors how much they know about the drugs they prescribe. When I asked my doctor about Carvedilol (the drug he wanted to give me for high blood pressure), he could not tell me much other than what it is SUPPOSED to do. But after seeing research: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a697042.html#why, I was like...um NO.

I agree with you about comedians. It is as though comedic genius is borne of emotional distress.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
His wife released a statement that said that he was suffering from the early stages of Parkinson's Disease, but had not chosen to make it public.

I've known people with that disease (including my ex father in law), and I know that it was not easy for them in the least.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
http://www.newsmax.com/SusanEstrich/Depression-Mental-Illness-Robin-Williams/2014/08/13/id/588459/

Newsmax said:
When the news rippled out on Monday that Robin Williams had committed suicide, even I thought — for a moment — "but he had everything."

As if suicide is a choice. I say "even I" because I know better.

My mother was seriously depressed for much of her life. A close friend's husband committed suicide years ago, and he had everything, too. Then there was our neighbor's son, whom I babysat for — I heard it was a psychotic break.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Having learned that Williams had recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, it could be that it was the straw that broke the camel's back for him.

His history of substance abuse, major depression and now Parkinson's disease?

I have a hard enough time with all the crap I have to deal with on a daily basis (I'm disabled with multiple issues). I can't imagine having Parkinson's added to my own personal woodpile.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Having learned that Williams had recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, it could be that it was the straw that broke the camel's back for him.

His history of substance abuse, major depression and now Parkinson's disease?

I have a hard enough time with all the crap I have to deal with on a daily basis (I'm disabled with multiple issues). I can't imagine having Parkinson's added to my own personal woodpile.

And his ongoing heart issues....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ro...struggling-early-parkinsons-wife-says-n180826
--- merged: Aug 14, 2014 at 12:46 PM ---
A lot of creative types battle depression.

I'm one of them.

Me too. :) Not only that, I have more than a little personal experience with suicidal thoughts. (dont ask). But I learned that friends and family who love you WILL be there for you when you need them, and now the thought of such things does not even enter my mind when Im depressed (which is hardly ever). That was a long time ago. But Robin Williams was not naive. He had friends and family and a loving wife. He had millions of fans across the globe. But who knows what demons he had to slay? I miss him. :( He was one of my favorite actor/comedians.

Last edited by a moderator:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Me too. :) Not only that, I have more than a little personal experience with suicidal thoughts. (dont ask). But I learned that friends and family who love you WILL be there for you when you need them, and now the thought of such things does not even enter my mind when Im depressed (which is hardly ever). That was a long time ago. But Robin Williams was not naive. He had friends and family and a loving wife. He had millions of fans across the globe. But who knows what demons he had to slay? I miss him. :( He was one of my favorite actor/comedians.
I do understand that, my friend.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I also don't mind dancing to music. It brings joy, happiness and people are having a good time instead of killing each other or harming each other.

Ah, so you've never been in a dance battle and "got served"?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
His wife released a statement that said that he was suffering from the early stages of Parkinson's Disease, but had not chosen to make it public.

I've known people with that disease (including my ex father in law), and I know that it was not easy for them in the least.

I absolutely LOVE that animated gif in your signature!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Who'd a thunk the day would come when Illit has a WWE star in her sig :lol: