Remebering the "classics"

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Back in the day there were 2 games that I absolutely adored and they were "Star Wars: Rebellion" and "Star Trek: Birth of the Federation" Both are strategy games, and, considering the posters here, I assume you guys play such games. I was just wondering if any of you either played these games or (even better) know where I can get copies of them (my discs are long since dead/lost due to moving/new comp/children etc)

Cheers Guys

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Back in the day there were 2 games that I absolutely adored and they were "Star Wars: Rebellion" and "Star Trek: Birth of the Federation" Both are strategy games, and, considering the posters here, I assume you guys play such games. I was just wondering if any of you either played these games or (even better) know where I can get copies of them (my discs are long since dead/lost due to moving/new comp/children etc)

Cheers Guys

I have had many a ST & SW game (Mainly ST) & still play alot of them. Below is a list of the ones I have/have had:

- ST: Starfleet Academy (old game but great for it's time).
- ST: DS9 The Fallen (Don't play it all that often but was a good game. Not my favourite as DS9 was not my fav ST show.......... loved the crashed Miranda class ship in the lake, brilliant).
- ST: Voyager Elite Force (Great FP shooter, good music, ambience & character interaction. Some of the enemy's level were very enjoyable such as the Borg levels & the Klingon/Mirror Universe Starfleet/Malon ship).
- ST: DS9 Dominion Wars (Still have but haven't played for years as only runs (& I use the term loosely) on older operating systems. It was a very promising game but was very jerky visually).
- ST: Armada II (Still plat this alot, good game but gets a little same after a while & the AI can be predictable & seemingly stupid).
- ST: Bridge Commander (My favourite of all ST games, I still play this all the time mainly for the mods & Stargate mods. It is a bit of a ball ache to get the mods working sometimes & haven't yet got the SG ship pack working yet which is a pity because I want to use the Beliskner & O'Neill class ships :( )
- ST: Elite Force II (Great game which built on the awesomeness of the original but was more spooky & like a first person horror shooter in the mold of half-life)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You know...

Cheers Guys

Well, you may know that my all-time favorite franchise is Star Trek. Stargate is right there on the throne, but not in the King's seat! Having said that, I played mostly the Starfleet Command series (II and II as well). I also still have Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, but now I want to try Elite Force II. I played Star Wars Rogue Squadron and Star Wars Empires at War too. But my favorite games were mostly like Quake, Hexen, Doom, Age of Empires, and back in the day it was Blood, Duke Nukem 3D and the old arcade games you can still play with the MAME arcade emulator :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I have had many a ST & SW game (Mainly ST) & still play alot of them. Below is a list of the ones I have/have had:

- ST: Starfleet Academy (old game but great for it's time).
- ST: DS9 The Fallen (Don't play it all that often but was a good game. Not my favourite as DS9 was not my fav ST show.......... loved the crashed Miranda class ship in the lake, brilliant).
- ST: Voyager Elite Force (Great FP shooter, good music, ambience & character interaction. Some of the enemy's level were very enjoyable such as the Borg levels & the Klingon/Mirror Universe Starfleet/Malon ship).
- ST: DS9 Dominion Wars (Still have but haven't played for years as only runs (& I use the term loosely) on older operating systems. It was a very promising game but was very jerky visually).
- ST: Armada II (Still plat this alot, good game but gets a little same after a while & the AI can be predictable & seemingly stupid).
- ST: Bridge Commander (My favourite of all ST games, I still play this all the time mainly for the mods & Stargate mods. It is a bit of a ball ache to get the mods working sometimes & haven't yet got the SG ship pack working yet which is a pity because I want to use the Beliskner & O'Neill class ships :( )
- ST: Elite Force II (Great game which built on the awesomeness of the original but was more spooky & like a first person horror shooter in the mold of half-life)

Did you play ST: A final unity as well?

JACKS

GateFans Noob
I remember SW:Rebellion it was pretty good, but the AI suck ass couldn't get the Imperials to build the damn Death Star. Half Life, now that is a classic game IMO.:)

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
For me it was:
System Shock (1 and 2)
Master of Orion 2 (I'm sorry but galactic civilizations just doesn't cut it for me)
Ground Control
oh and Warcraft 2
biggrin.gif

One game series I wish I had played was the Ultima ones particulary 5,

Oh yes and Alex the kid on the master system, jesus that was hard.

ST:A final unity was a TNG game, like a point and click adventure game with lots of different choices considering the time period it was made in.

Insomnium

GateFans Cadet
One of the best rated Trek games on PC Gamer...

...At least at the time I had a subscription to the U.S. version.

For those who don't have any intention of playing, or have already played the game:

"Behold the glory of Ensign Munrooooo!"

Insomnium

GateFans Cadet
As for one of my favorite old PC games...

Well, back in the day I picked up this bundle of Dungeons & Dragons-themed games made by the now defunct Strategic Simulations, Inc.

I'd have to say out of the bunch, my favorite was Ravenloft: Strahd's possession.

For those who don't know what Ravenloft is, just imagine D&D with a classic horror angle to it.

For the technology that was available at the time, it's amazing, The XMIDI music tracks are some of the most memorable from my early days as a PC gamer (Besides Doom, of course!).

However, there are "Dungeons" that just seem to go on forever, especially one where you start at the end of these catacombs and have to make your way to the exit.

Oh, and since voice acting was kind of new for games, the dialogue could get quite hammy at times.

Anyways, a YouTube user named GameHorder posted a "Let's Play!" of the game here, if you have any interest in seeing what the game looked like.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Well, back in the day I picked up this bundle of Dungeons & Dragons-themed games made by the now defunct Strategic Simulations, Inc.

I'd have to say out of the bunch, my favorite was Ravenloft: Strahd's possession.

For those who don't know what Ravenloft is, just imagine D&D with a classic horror angle to it.

For the technology that was available at the time, it's amazing, The XMIDI music tracks are some of the most memorable from my early days as a PC gamer (Besides Doom, of course!).

However, there are "Dungeons" that just seem to go on forever, especially one where you start at the end of these catacombs and have to make your way to the exit.

Oh, and since voice acting was kind of new for games, the dialogue could get quite hammy at times.

Anyways, a YouTube user named GameHorder posted a "Let's Play!" of the game here, if you have any interest in seeing what the game looked like.

I'd forgotten how cheesy that game was, what an insult to Strahd!!

Insomnium

GateFans Cadet
I'd forgotten how cheesy that game was, what an insult to Strahd!!

You mean the dialogue, the voice acting, or how some of the stuff with his whole plan in the game didn't make sense at times? (Yeah, forgot that negative, sue me. :tealc_newanime018:)

But still, It did encourage me to do a bit of reading about the setting (No, didn't read the novels, sorry!:psycho:) and I found the whole concept of behind the Ravenloft setting interesting.

But as I said, my favorite part was the music. I never thought MIDI music could creep me out so much..... :icon_eek:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
You mean the dialogue, the voice acting, or how some of the stuff with his whole plan in the game didn't make sense at times? (Yeah, forgot that negative, sue me. :tealc_newanime018:)

But still, It did encourage me to do a bit of reading about the setting (No, didn't read the novels, sorry!:psycho:) and I found the whole concept of behind the Ravenloft setting interesting.

But as I said, my favorite part was the music. I never thought MIDI music could creep me out so much..... :icon_eek:

Back in the day I was a rabid roleplayer and Ravenloft was my favorite setting to run (D&D) games in.
I still have all my Ravenloft stuff sitting on my shelf. OK, I'm a uber-geek :D