Real music

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Ever noticed how "modern" music tends to become more and more crap as time goes on and that when delving into music from the past it often seems better?

Maybe it's just a part of getting older, but I do genuinely think that music used to be of better quality (not audio quality) in the olden days. I realize this makes me sound old but I really don't care or feel that way. There are of course still good musicians out there these days, lots of 'em, but how often is it really these days that you find this great album with quality music that you think hell yeah this is great?

I thought it'd be nice to have a thread so I could share an album with you and so that others could share some they like as well, if they feel like it.

This morning I listened to an album from Mark Knopfler named Screenplaying. It's truly beautiful music with a Celtic feel to it and has a very calming/soothing effect.

Here's some links for Mark Knopfler for your convenience and perusal if you're up for it.

Official website - http://www.markknopfler.com/
Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMRlJWmG6i7LP3TMSGpZVfw

Wikipedia

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
He sounds interesting.

I too think most current "pop", hip hop, etc is CRAP! even the adult contemporary stuff is pretty crappy! :P I tend to stick to my old faves and country from the 90-'s and early 2000's...before it went too
"pop-ee" for me. (if that makes sense :P ) Classical music is always great.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
He sounds interesting.

I too think most current "pop", hip hop, etc is CRAP! even the adult contemporary stuff is pretty crappy! :P I tend to stick to my old faves and country from the 90-'s and early 2000's...before it went too

Got any particular suggestion?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I was a Disco baby so I am sure that makes many people groan. I am a huge Peter Cetera fan from the early 80's. Chicago was ok, but I prefer Peter as a solo artist. Early Toby Keith and Montgomery Gentry ( RIP Troy Gentry) is always good at any time. Love Trace Atkins. I miss Karen Carpenter...what a voice. And I enjoy Barbra Streisand's voice, but not her politics. ;)

As to classical - anything mannheim steamroller is amazing. I tend to favor Vivaldi & Chopin, hubby loves anything Baroque.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was a Disco baby so I am sure that makes many people groan. I am a huge Peter Cetera fan from the early 80's. Chicago was ok, but I prefer Peter as a solo artist. Early Toby Keith and Montgomery Gentry ( RIP Troy Gentry) is always good at any time. Love Trace Atkins. I miss Karen Carpenter...what a voice. And I enjoy Barbra Streisand's voice, but not her politics. ;)

As to classical - anything mannheim steamroller is amazing. I tend to favor Vivaldi & Chopin, hubby loves anything Baroque.

I love all baroque artists, but my favorite is J.S. Bach. I recommend the Brandenberg Concertos, The Well-Tempered Clavier, and organ works like Little Fugue in G Minor and the Toccata and Fugue in G Minor (spooky!). I am also into Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky and of course Chopin. I love jazz too, but mostly the modern styles like late 80s and into the 90s. I absolutely HATE rap and pop music using autotune like the junk that is out today.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I love all baroque artists, but my favorite is J.S. Bach. I recommend the Brandenberg Concertos, The Well-Tempered Clavier, and organ works like Little Fugue in G Minor and the Toccata and Fugue in G Minor (spooky!). I am also into Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky and of course Chopin. I love jazz too, but mostly the moden styles like late 80s and into the 90s. I absolutely HATE rap and pop music using autotune like the junk that is out today.
He sounds interesting.

You realize that the current wave of people who like this music are mostly bots and people that have been brainwashed to believe that it is music? Music is one thing is that it's honest, down to earth and free from bias and agenda. Oh and not all pop and rap is crap. It's only now that we are being fed rubbish that people call it crap, but like any genre, it can be lovely if it's done right.Someone is controlling the market. Unfortunately we don't have a say or control of when it will happen. Only the people with a lot of power and influence that do and money.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Love that song. Moonlight Shadow. Melody, rhythm and a good singing voice. A combination which appears to have become more and more rare.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I love all baroque artists, but my favorite is J.S. Bach. I recommend the Brandenberg Concertos, The Well-Tempered Clavier, and organ works like Little Fugue in G Minor and the Toccata and Fugue in G Minor (spooky!). I am also into Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky and of course Chopin. I love jazz too, but mostly the moden styles like late 80s and into the 90s. I absolutely HATE rap and pop music using autotune like the junk that is out today.

I love soft jazz as I call it- Norah Jones and Harry Connick jr. of course give me Sinatra and big bands and you'll get a smile.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
What's happening with new music over the last 10 to 20 years is a lot of the cords, rhythms , rhymes and notes have all been used before or showcased in songs ... What's left is the crap on the radio we hear today ...
It's the same issue with TV shows and movies .
I am not sure what can be done about it to be honest ...
Seems shock , gritty , angsty, edgy is the new theme and tone of music and entertainment as a whole ...
I have been listening to the best of the seventies as of late . I would have been in my teens. Some of the songs are great and others were just cringeworthy and still to this day make my ears bleed .
But most music of today make my ears bleed more ...unless it is relaxing modern lounge with no vocals . That I like .
;)

"All this machinery making modern music can still be open hearted, not so coldly charted it's really just a question of your honesty -- yeah, your honesty. But glittering prizes and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity."

Neil Peart (RUSH) -- The Spirit of Radio

For awhile now I've been "discovering" artists from the 1980's and 90's. It turns out there was a ton of good musicianship back then. Once you look past the pop stuff you begin to see that. Bands like A-ha, Hoodoo Guru, Psychedelic Furs, Aztec Camera, Gin Blossoms, etc. (Everyone thinks A-ha has one song, Take on Me, but they have a huge library of great stuff actually.) This music really holds up well.

I can't help but wonder though if in 25 years we will look back and find artists from this moment in time and realize how good they were? Sure there are good artists around today, like Foster the People, but overall have things changed in the music industry where it's gone off a cliff and can't be redeemed or is that just "old man thinking"? Food for thought.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is a real musician playing real music, and no pop fad artist is going to even be able to do this. Some of them can, but most all of them have very little real talent. This pianist speaks for himself with his fingers.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I love soft jazz as I call it- Norah Jones and Harry Connick jr. of course give me Sinatra and big bands and you'll get a smile.

Do you ever listen to Brazilian jazz? Here is a sample:

This style of jazz is what I usually listen to when taking long drives. The selections in my collection are mostly instrumental, but Portuguese sounds very nice when sung anyway!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Currently listening to some Muse on the way to work using my brand spanking new Jaybird X3 which I earned at work. I realise it's not for everyone, but in my opinion Muse is among the greatest bands of the modern age.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I like a lot of what I call "my Dad's music". I hear it in tons of pretty current soundtracks from time to time which always tells me that yes, in general, the quality of new music is much lower than it used to be.

Last edited:

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan

Piano Music from an american pianist.

KUNG Fury - Awesome Film and Awesome soundtrack 8-)

The Dance Mix is really nice this is a beautiful chillout track.

I am not sure if you consider these to be modern tracks.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Currently have some old Queen music on. I feel Muse and Queen are quite comparable in regard to the uniqueness of their style.

Seven Seas of Rhye. I love it.

Crazy Little Thing Called Love will be next up if memory serves me right. Brilliant bassline.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Currently have some old Queen music on. I feel Muse and Queen are quite comparable in regard to the uniqueness of their style.

Seven Seas of Rhye. I love it.

Crazy Little Thing Called Love will be next up if memory serves me right. Brilliant bassline.
you can never go wrong with Queen. Did you ever hear any of Freddie Mercury's stuff with Monserrat Caballe?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Miley Cyrus or Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber can sell records because of a skilled sound engineer and autotune and dozens of voice processing effects. No ACTUAL singing talent. I don't like the type of music Beyonce makes, but there is no doubt she can sing her little heart out. And there are the tragedies like Alicia Keys, who is a Julliard trained classical pianist who has been forced to make pop music just to live her craft (Andre Watts almost fell into this trap). I don't consider somebody who programs loops a musician.