Random Banter

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Gotta admit it would be really nice for some NEW material instead of just more and more remakes, repurposing and so on. I guess today's Hollywood can't think in original terms...

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
They're rebooting The Mummy. With some of the original actors. Brendan Fraser is not one of them, at least not yet.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Did you ever watch the Boris Karloff original?

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
They're rebooting The Mummy. With some of the original actors. Brendan Fraser is not one of them, at least not yet.

including brendan fraser

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I did! Loved it. The Mummy was a horror creature before an action creature!
Exactly, and the film is more a romance drama than out and out horror. And has no gore.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So, Paramount bought Showtime, I guess? Bonus for me! Now I get to stream all Showtime content for the same price as Paramount.

Decided to try YELLOWJACKETS, thought it would be stupid, its actually pretty good. the only reason there is is any type of 'girl power' or anything close to it is because it is about a HS Girls soccer team that crashes in the Canadian Rockies and finds a way to survive.

Show also plays in 'current day' showing survivors as adults and how they are dealing with being survivors. Lot of mystery, drama and something supernatural going on (??)

2 seasons are up to stream, 3rd season coming some time next year

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
It looks like Hollywood has run out of cool names for their shows. They are now starting with names starting with "The" Like the "The Good Doctor" "The Rookie" "The Good Wife" etc etc

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It looks like Hollywood has run out of cool names for their shows. They are now starting with names starting with "The" Like the "The Good Doctor" "The Rookie" "The Good Wife" etc etc
soon it will just be one or two letters

"hey you see the latest ep of K last night?" "No I was watching G"

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
soon it will just be one or two letters

"hey you see the latest ep of K last night?" "No I was watching G"
I was thinking more along the lines of not hearing any words at all. Going back to 1890's where we had silent movies and the movie titles won't have any names at all.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
hmmm? Ok, I follow with this.. when they use the idea of actual physical objects in your hand....

is the idea misapplied due to some error over time? I have no clue?

if you have nothing in your hand and multiply it by 3, you will still have ? nothing, of course!
but
if you have 3 of some hard, physical object in your hand, and then multiply those by nothing, then you will still have those 3 physical objects in your hand, yes?
so, I can accept ( i mean I "Accept" it all to be able to conform with society and the 'universal language') that 0x3=0. but not 3x0=0, unless some sort of magic is involved that has taken my 3 physical objects
i am guessing, with absolutely no proof, that somewhere in time, some arithmetic philosopher, who wrote on the concept of zero, was misquoted in their teachings on multiplying with zero. To the point that both forms have come to equal zero even though one form does not hold up to physical example as ANY OTHER arithmetic example would
maybe a mistranslation by some "dark ages" monk?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Also, having three objects in your hand an multiplying them by zero does not mean you still have three objects in your hand. That would be multiplying by one. If it would actually be possible to multiply physical objects by zero, they would effectively cease to exist, and thus your hand would no longer be holding three objects.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Also, having three objects in your hand an multiplying them by zero does not mean you still have three objects in your hand. That would be multiplying by one. If it would actually be possible to multiply physical objects by zero, they would effectively cease to exist, and thus your hand would no longer be holding three objects.
umm, no

if i had three marbles in my hand, i have 3 marbles in my hand

if i try to increase them in number- add or multiply, by zero or nothing, those 3 marbles will remain and they will not increase either

to say they are gone due to a mere attempt at an increase by zero or, nothing, would be what, a penalty? enforced by magic? 3x0 = 0

this is in practical application.

to have zero (or none), marbles in my hand, and to try and increase them without actually expending any effort to physically gain them is likewise magical - 0x3

or

if you have $100 in your bank acct and excluding bank fees and the like, say you spend nothing and you are not working and have no entitlements or other income at all coming in, no way of increasing that amount. does your inactivity at increasing that amount-- your "zero", turn your $100 into $0? no -- 100 x 0

same if you have $0 and do not work and expect to increase the amount -- 0 x wishful thinking = 0

------------------------------------------------------------

I am in agreement that something went 'wrong' somewhere in history; bad translation or bad application between cultures maybe? Then when that original culture- was it the arabs?- lost power, Europeans, who taught it to them the European way, which, we may have never actually had correct to begin with

either way, we are stuck with it now and I do know, that no math teacher has ever been able to explain it other than "that's the way it is, just do it that way" or some variation on that. that is not education, that is rote, "do as I say" learning

but, do not be alarmed, while I may not know how many other issues this original poster has with math, this is the only one I have ever had

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The point is, you can't compare an abstract construct as multiplying by zero with a real world example. The entire foundation for that line of reasoning is flawed.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The point is, you can't compare an abstract construct as multiplying by zero with a real world example. The entire foundation for that line of reasoning is flawed.
dude, its not abstract

not unless you want to say every other addition, subtraction, multiplication and division problem is also abstract?

of COURSE they are not; 2+2=4 is applicable to real life all day, every day. there can be no philosophical or arithmetic exception for one process- multiplication by zero