Previews and Discussion: SGU Episode 13 "Alliances" - May Contain Spoilers

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Another stone episode...

LMAO! I don't want to be negative but this episode was just CRAP! If you hate the stones(like I do) chances are you'll hate this episode too. I just skimmed it through :lol: Watched the first 5 minutes and bang the stones come into play...I thought here we go again, oh brother! Fast Forward,play.Nup still boring fast forward, play. Nup boring...Fast forward,Play. End credits :lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes it was bad.

The basic fact that the characters are unlikeable rears its ugly head here big time, as putting them in danger fails to evoke a response. If nothing else the episode pointed up big time how worthless and unneeded a character Wray is.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Something of a spoiler alert (not that it matters much)

Yes it was bad.

The basic fact that the characters are unlikeable rears its ugly head here big time, as putting them in danger fails to evoke a response. If nothing else the episode pointed up big time how worthless and unneeded a character Wray is.

I, personally, was rooting for the bomb. :mrgreen:

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Ive seen worse myself.
so it wasnt bad it was just SGU.
i dont get how the hell the pilot got to where he did tho...
and i didnt like the earth polititian or the scientist... wasnt that one of the original actors from the SG movie with spader and russel?
original kawalski?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Ive seen worse myself.
and i didnt like the earth polititian or the scientist... wasnt that one of the original actors from the SG movie with spader and russel?
original kawalski?

Yeah French Stewart was in the original movie. He was Lt. Ferretti.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True enough.

However it is precisely these episodes where the awfully written characters bite SGU where the sun shines not. Because they are unlikeable, shallow jerks it is really hard to root for them. Consequently putting them in peril does not evoke the response the writers want - emotional engagement hoping the characters make it out ok. Instead you either don't care or wind up rooting for the enemy - either one destroys any tension or suspense.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Oh right it was "Ferretti" :P
he was alo harry solomon in that old 3rd rock from the sun sitcom right?

Yes he was.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This episode was a snoozefest. The ratings have to be even worse than last week.

True enough.

However it is precisely these episodes where the awfully written characters bite SGU where the sun shines not. Because they are unlikeable, shallow jerks it is really hard to root for them. Consequently putting them in peril does not evoke the response the writers want - emotional engagement hoping the characters make it out ok. Instead you either don't care or wind up rooting for the enemy - either one destroys any tension or suspense.

I just didn't buy the focus on Wray and Greer. There were no real intimate backstory secrets revealed and we come away without knowing anything more about them other than that they wished they could say goodbye to family members one more time (how many chances have they had already with those damn stones?).

Oh -- and Chloe climbed down off the brass pole long enough to do some talking (always a bad thing). She didn't say anything of importance (natch) and I didn't care that she was super cool bestest friends with the aged senator; it was just boring filler "blah blah blah".

It will be very interesting to see the ratings tomorrow.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
THAT bad?

Yes it was bad.

Ive seen worse myself.
original kawalski?

Okay, I am downloading it now. :) I dont think that any single stones episode was good. They were ALL horrible. Trying to suspend belief enough to think of this as technology is just too much to ask:

ebaystone_thumb.jpg

Magical sparkly stones which whisk your consciousness away to far off galaxies and planets...sounds like the same thing that happens when people take hallucinogens. :)

NOTE TO SELF: Give Hermione Granger a call...

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
naw not that bad imo but very sgu.
trust me we've all seen things waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse then this.
i must say tho sgu has kinda grown on me not that i care much for it but im still watching every monday/tuesday.
as there is a serious lack of anything else to watch and i cant watch V its just to family and mainstream tv for me.
besides i like watchind purdy pictars and sometimes SGU has those :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thats one of the very very few things SGU has on the other shows.

naw not that bad imo but very sgu.
trust me we've all seen things waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse then this.
i must say tho sgu has kinda grown on me not that i care much for it but im still watching every monday/tuesday.
as there is a serious lack of anything else to watch and i cant watch V its just to family and mainstream tv for me.
besides i like watchind purdy pictars and sometimes SGU has those :D

I will give one thing to SGU...the CGI. The level of CGI detail and realism is much better in Stargate Universe than any of the other shows of Stargate. I give this to the fact that so much more money was spent on the CGI (in man-hours) and better equipment was used. But the lack of good storytelling and character development ruined it.

You are really missing something if you havent watched V. Start from the beginning and watch in order. Youll like it!

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
Now, Now, you got to see more of the angry dude and the rug muncher (no offense to rug munchers intended) is that not a great ep in the making?

LOL, they are my least favorite characters in the series. Now this episode puts them together? LOL!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
LOL, they are my least favorite characters in the series. Now this episode puts them together? LOL!

I'm still trying to figure out why they put Wray and Greer together. They didn't really bond, they didn't share backstory details that would have fleshed out their characters more, they didn't really learn anything from being stuck together. They didn't even learn how to completely dismantle a bomb. Their pairing was rather pointless.

tetrion

GateFans Noob
My thoughts exactly. Out of all the obnoxiously revolting characters in this show, they have to pair the most vile ones of them all. I was so hoping Wray's arms got lopped off when she shoved it through the hologram... would at least made the episode interesting for a few seconds... Ok I got to say, what the hell is wrong with Earth and SG Command? Seriously, has intelligence and competence dropped since the beginning of the show? Or is the IOA running the planet? Honestly, Earth has gone from kicking the snot out of Go'aulds, Replicators, Anubis, Wrath, Assurans and Ori, but now were getting our ass handed to us but a bunch of leather fetish pimps and space weed crackheads?!? Like I said before, we've got the combined tech of Asguard and Ancient, yet the combined effort of Earth can't even fend off a few dimwitted buffoons with lugers??? Heck even SG1 was able to pwn them, but all of Earth can't???

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

I thought the bomb played it's role with finesse and professionalism. I hope it makes another appearance in a later episode. Oh, oh, maybe it can seduce Chloe ... and pretend it was a challenge to amuse the viewers.