Picard Season 2 and Q in 22!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
faint rumors of T'Pol and Phlox to make bit appearances in STRANGE NEW WORLDS among some YT'rs

the species life span makes it possible, and it wouldn't be the worst thing to see these characters again, if only for a brief time

Shadow Mann

Staff member
I am not a fan of Picard. I feel that the 10 episodes of the first season are a stain on the franchise because Alex Kurtzman trampled the canon and ignored Gene Roddenberry's vision and instead allowed Patrick Stewart to use his vision for Jean Luke Picard. We got "JL", in a universe nothing like Star Trek, with ridiculously conceived scenes like Romulans randomly beaming down into people's homes, only to use a bag to subdue their target which then "activates" and defeats them. Tech that scans an area and somehow can play back everything INCLUDING AUDIO. Just dumb. But that was just S1.

The human JL Picard is dead. Picard is now an android.

Season 2 is going to have to start with JL the way he is now, and now we have the stuff going on with Raffi and the Picard version of Seven of Nine (aka Nine to Five). The show is what it is, but what it isn't is Star Trek.

Bear Grylls GIF by National Geographic Channel

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It might be easier to swallow if you just picture it as taking place in an alternate reality. After all, we have the same actors as in TNG and VOY but the characters they are playing now do not resemble their prior selves at all.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
It might be easier to swallow if you just picture it as taking place in an alternate reality. After all, we have the same actors as in TNG and VOY but the characters they are playing now do not resemble their prior selves at all.
I can't swallow it at all. I don't want to. It isn't Star Trek and nothing will make me accept it as Star Trek. I did watch the entire season, and I have every episode. The one long story they told over the season was not intelligent or well-written. The characters of Seven of Nine, Icheb, Hugh and Picard himself, as well as Troi were not their originals. I will give it to Jonathan Frakes for preserving Riker for his appearance. But the context of his appearance was irregular the way they did it.

Things I like:

The theme song is absolutely beautiful.
The opening sequences are nice, and the cinematography/camera editing is exceptionally good.
The CGI is well done (caveat: most of it was unnecessary)

Things I don't like would take a lot more typing than I want to do right now!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I hope you realize I was joking a bit - it's just that Picard is kinda like TNG meeting The Twilight Zone and not in a good way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadow Mann

Staff member
I hope you realize I was joking a bit - it's just that Picard is kinda like TNG meeting The Twilight Zone and not in a good way.
Of course! But for Season 2 things are going to be super silly because they are bringing in John DeLancie to play a character who will be named Q but the character won't be Q. Just like what they have done with Jean Luc Picard, Seven of Nine, Icheb, Hugh and Troi. Alex Kurtzman hires the actors because they played those characters, but the actors did not write those characters so they are vastly different from the characters we remember. Its a strategy. We see the original actor playing the same character name, and fans are supposed to come flocking. It did not happen with Picard.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, I read that a week ago or so. Looking forward to it. By the way, the video is showing as not available, so don't know what that was about.
It is evidently geo-locked. When I am using a VPN service in Europe, it says "video unavailable", but does not add "in your country". But when connected anywhere in the US it plays fine.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I would think better of John DeLancie had he refused to play Q so as not to see the character butchered.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I would think better of John DeLancie had he refused to play Q so as not to see the character butchered.
The thing I have noticed about all of the legacy characters appearing in Kurtzman Trek is that none of them have anything really going. If you check IMdB, you see that none of them were working on anything. Kurtzman allegedly pays quite well. We may see others like Avery Brooks, Scott Bakula, Colm Meaney, maybe even Cirroc Lofton or Alexander Siddig. They will be used to bait original fans. It's what he does!

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep! Kurtzman is sort of like a test of your integrity. If you have integrity you tell him no because you know he is driving a corrupted version of Trek that is dark, nihilistic and politically motivated. If you’re just a mercenary actor then to you it is just a paycheck.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep! Kurtzman is sort of like a test of your integrity. If you have integrity you tell him no because you know he is driving a corrupted version of Trek that is dark, nihilistic and politically motivated. If you’re just a mercenary actor then to you it is just a paycheck.
This is the thing that fans sometimes do not seem to understand. These actors are just actors. Not a single one of them wrote their characters in Star Trek (I checked). Some got input after a few seasons, like Kate Mulgrew and also Avery Brooks. Patrick Stewart was apparently given less control over his character in the series, and some was given for his movie deal. In Picard, he has full control and therefore we do not get Jean Luc Picard. We get a pathetic "JL" Picard who is even worse than a mirror version of him would be IMO.

These actors are taking a job, nothing more. They have been targeted because they played characters in Star Trek and their faces are familiar to the fanbase. Like the first time around, they are taking an acting job, playing a character written for them. Giving these actors control over their characters when they have no clue how to write or develop characters for TV is really dumb! They can channel what they remember, I suppose. But the substance of the character will not be there because these hired actors did not create them.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The Picard s2 trailer

we get a smorgasbord!

Time Travel,, Mirror Universe, Q, Contemporary California and the person-from-future- who can drive a starship-but- can't-drive- car, sphiel and

the Borg

so.. the IRL 'death' of classic Trek? And the lore death of the Federation as seen in Discovery?

comes out in March i think

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6edxNeyJnw